Applying for class 2 and class 1 with DR20 and DR3 - Tony Tone

Hi all,

Hope all is well with you all.

I have been working in the security industry with a very low living wage for the last few years with long hours (Over 16 hour working shifts at times for a while now as well) and now have decided to get my Class 2 and then a Class 1 straight after as missus is expecting a baby also and need more money but have some questions even though I have read some posts here and google and training provider websites but still need help. Please forgive me for the noob questions or if they have been answered before, I am sorry in advance.

A little bit about my personal situation, in early 2016 I have had a DR20: Driving or attempting to drive while unfit through drink and a DR30: Driving or attempting to drive then failing to supply a specimen for analysis. I do not want to get into the details and defend myself here but basically, I was not actually driving nor attempted to drive but that is another story. I had gone through a tag for several months to ensure I was not drinking etc., did community service, paid a fine and did a course to reduce it by 6 months. You are free to criticize me anyhow you want but if you could, please also try to answer my questions below too, if you can.

I have had my license back for nearly a year now with no other issues and now have a D2 form in front of me and confused about some sections of the form, here are my questions about the form and queries about obtaining a license to drive lorries of the Classes mentioned:

1) In Section 1 - What are you applying for

a) I want to apply for a Class 2 and also a Class 1 as I want to do it consecutively to improve my chances of work, which boxes do I tick exactly in the part of "First provisional entitlement"?

b) Do I need to tick any boxes in the part of "Additional provisional entitlement" also?

2) In Section 2 - Your conduct

a) Do I need to disclose the unspent convictions from 2016 I have highlighted in point 1? As far as aware they stay unspent for 5 years and on DVLA for 11 years.

3) Depending on your view to point 2 and due to the nature of my convictions, is there any point applying for this license or I should not even bother wasting my time and try another field?

4) Once I have my license potentially, how will I acquire insurance with a company? What is the basic insurance process for CLass 2 and Class 1 drivers at agencies or Companies?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice and your answers to the above.

All the best.

Applying for class 2 and class 1 with DR20 and DR3 - gordonbennet

Don't waste your money or time, no transport operator will touch you whilst those DR notices are on your licence.

New drivers with clean licences struggle to get a start as it is.

Take no notice whatsoever of the bull training brokers and the sensationalist media come up with about the supposed driver shortage, yes there is a shortage of good HGV drivers, but no shortage whatsoever of people with HGV licences.

If you want confirmation of this, post on the newbies section of one of the truck forums.

Applying for class 2 and class 1 with DR20 and DR3 - Bromptonaut

Don't waste your money or time, no transport operator will touch you whilst those DR notices are on your licence.

I suspected the answer was something like that, but needed someone in the HGV sector to confirm it.

Today was one of my now rare trips into London. Don't suppose you were the yellow tanker guy unloading at McVities this morning?

Applying for class 2 and class 1 with DR20 and DR3 - gordonbennet
Today was one of my now rare trips into London.

Not guilty M'lud.

No point in flowering it up or giving the OP false hopes, best try another avenue of work for at least the next 8 or 9 years.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/04/2019 at 20:29