New car for the mrs - NAthan smith
Hi all
The mrs currently drives a Nissan Juke 66 plate. She loves the car but with our two young boys (7 and 4 £ she is finding it a bit small. In particular the rear space and the boot. Looking for recommendations £13k or less. Must be bigger but not hugely massive (Mondeo estate!) and preferably suv
Thanks
New car for the mrs - oldroverboy.
Hi all The mrs currently drives a Nissan Juke 66 plate. She loves the car but with our two young boys (7 and 4 £ she is finding it a bit small. In particular the rear space and the boot. Looking for recommendations £13k or less. Must be bigger but not hugely massive (Mondeo estate!) and preferably suv Thanks

Worth looking at MG ZS 2017 onwards.. suv lookalike 1.5 petrol manual. mpg 40-41.. overall. very roomy inside, good boot and room for a full size spare (if you want.)

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/mg/zs-2017

my review after 4 months. if you buy used check engine management software update has been done.

Don;t believe the car mag reviews, get one for half a day from a dealer. most will oblige.

and if you rev it a bit, just like my previous kia venga 1.4 manual, it will shift too!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/04/2019 at 21:19

Major concern with one of these is a) reliability and b) losing more money than jaguar on the car
New car for the mrs - badbusdriver

The Nissan Juke is known for being pretty cramped, so it would probably be worth looking at other cars considered to be in the same category before thinking you need to jump a size. With that in mind, the first two i would look at would be the Honda HR-V and the Toyota C-HR (though you may struggle to find one of these in budget). If they are still too small, then the next size up would be the Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV-4. Other options would be the Mazda CX-3 or CX-5 (petrol engines only, don't consider diesel), Skoda Yeti (the 1.2TSI petrol). If you are concerned about the badge, you could get into an Audi Q3 1.4TSI for that money, or the VW Tiguan (don't go for the auto, as this is a dual clutch job).

New car for the mrs - VengaPete

We looked at a Juke when we needed to change but found it a bit small and also we needed an autobox and the Nissan CVT's are notorious for expiring at low miles

We eventually went for a Kia Venga MPV. Loads more space than a Juke, high seating position, flexible boot settings and decent rear legroom.

Venga's are effectively on run out now as I believe they can't get the engines to be Euro 6 compliant so you'll get a late model for a good price and of course if you keep up with the servicing you get the remainder of the 7 year warranty.
I would advise avoiding the auto unless you absolutely need an auto box (like we did) they are very thirsty (around 25mpg or lower around town).

New car for the mrs - CHarkin

My thoughts go to a VW Touran, not an SUV I know but you still get the high driving position like an SUV. Not a very big car but very roomy and practical for families. The 1.4 TSi engine is also very good. I owned a diesel version for nearly five years and rated it highly.

Edited by CHarkin on 04/04/2019 at 09:44

New car for the mrs - barney100
You could get a Scenic which for your budget would get something decent. BIL has one for his family and it’s been fine.
New car for the mrs - Avant

One obvious step up from the Juke is the Qashqai. It didn't suit us - too wallowy and vague to drive - but clearly it suits a lot of people as it's sold very well - and there are lots of used ones about to suit any budget. Go for a petrol one unless your mileage is huge.

At your budget, personally I'd look for a newish Skoda Yeti or Octavia estate.

New car for the mrs - JohnX

Having driven most SUVs on long term rentals ie more than 3 months at a time there is a dark horse that I have come to prefer.

About the rest though

RAV4-horrible to drive with a wallowy front end

Qashqai-lifeless steering comparable to steering an underpowered boat.

Subaru Forester-Although there is much talk about the low centre of gravity and driving comfort + control etc, it was mostly underwhelming, but still better than the RAV4 and Qashqai.

Kia Sportage-with the petrol engine, an absolute cracker and will not loose the traffic lights quick start race.

Mitsubishi Outlander-with the 2+ litre petrol engine.Easy to drive, feels much narrower than the others hence easier to drive , but exceptionally responsive and can literally throw it into a corner as one does with saloons yet comes through with minimal body roll.

Top marks for the Outlander then the Sportage.

Edited by JohnX on 04/04/2019 at 21:04

Just been having a look on Autotrader and i see you can get a more or less brand new Suzuki SX4 S-Cross for your budget. This would be the 1.0 Boosterjet motor which makes the same power as the 1.6 Juke. It has a boot just over 20% bigger in volume than the Juke, and Suzuki's are generally very reliable.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190128438...1

New car for the mrs - Smileyman

Not a SUV but there are still some new SEAT Toledo for sale for a sum well within your budget. 4 door with a sensibly spacious boot and spare too. Same car as the Skoda Rapid (not the Spaceback)

So the wife is not so keen on a few of the suggestions Suzuki, MG etc. Are there any hatches that offer good amounts of interior space?
So the wife is not so keen on a few of the suggestions Suzuki, MG etc. Are there any hatches that offer good amounts of interior space?

If you mean like a 'normal' Golf sized hatchback, then i'd suggest a last of the previous shape Honda Civic. Very spacious, very reliable, refined and comfortable. Go for the 1.8 petrol for a good combination of performance and economy. Also an estae version available with a very capacious boot. Here are one of each,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190308570...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190304552...1

Of course the looks of the Civic can be a stumbling block for some, so maybe a Seat Leon with the 1.4TSI engine. Again, available as a hatchback or a (IMO, very handsome) estate. Here are one of each,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190320608...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190302545...1

Bear in mind with the Leon, that FR spec with the big wheels, can be a bit harsh for some, so possibly a less overtly sporting spec might be better.

New car for the mrs - daveyK_UK
For £13k you might find a pre reg or if your lucky a brand new Ford Tourneo Courier MPV

rear space and a good size boot

New car for the mrs - Avant

I wouldn't have thought that the Leon or Civic are much bigger, if at all, than the Juke that you've got.

If after all Mrs S doesn't want an SUV, then a newish Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI should be ideal. The estate is very little longer than the hatch.

New car for the mrs - FiestaOwner

I wouldn't have thought that the Leon or Civic are much bigger, if at all, than the Juke that you've got.

If after all Mrs S doesn't want an SUV, then a newish Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI should be ideal. The estate is very little longer than the hatch.

Have seen inside a client's Juke. It's surprising how little room there is inside (you think it's going to be bigger because it's an SUV). The 2008 to 2017 Fiesta seems larger on the inside.

The Leon and Civic should offer more usable space inside than the Juke. The Octavia is heading towards the massive category (which the OP doesn't want).

New car for the mrs - sandy56

I would suggest the Suzuki Vitara, SX4 or Honda Civic or Civic Estate, or even a CRV. Toyota AURIS, Avensis or RAV4.

Last but not least Peugeot 3008. I had my Peugeot for 4 years and was comfortable and reliable.

Buy a good clean Japanese car and you probably wont regret it.

Nothing German; too likely to be a money pit.

New car for the mrs - retgwte

Dacia sandero stepway

Similar size but boot is far bigger

New one in budget too

Edited by retgwte on 14/04/2019 at 09:43

New car for the mrs - SLO76
New Civic is good to drive, very spacious, good on fuel and now dropping to sensible money. Previous gen is very practical too and utterly bulletproof.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190313583...9
New car for the mrs - Hugh Watt

I know you major on practicality, SLO, but isn't the new Civic just a bit too "blingy" for you? It was just too much for me to contemplate (after 30 years of Saabs!).

I know you major on practicality, SLO, but isn't the new Civic just a bit too "blingy" for you? It was just too much for me to contemplate (after 30 years of Saabs!).

I’m not a big fan of the styling but it’s otherwise a good car. Might grow on me as it ages.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/04/2019 at 14:51

New car for the mrs - Snakey

We went from a 2011 Juke to a 2015 Civic, and the Civic is surprisingly spacious, especially the boot which holds a lot more than you'd think.

Surely the original Saab, the 92, was a far more radical looking car for the time than the 8th gen Civic?. The model in question, the 9th gen, was a fairly mild step forward from that. Also, while its looks certainly divide opinion, i wouldn't consider it blingy. Maybe if it had lots of chrome and other shiny bits!.

New car for the mrs - SteveLee
Hi all The mrs currently drives a Nissan Juke 66 plate. She loves the car but with our two young boys (7 and 4 £ she is finding it a bit small. In particular the rear space and the boot. Looking for recommendations £13k or less. Must be bigger but not hugely massive (Mondeo estate!) and preferably suv Thanks

Presumably your boys were 5 and 2 when you bought the Juke - did you expect them to get smaller as they aged? Or has the Juke shrunk a bit after a few washes?

New car for the mrs - Josh Fisher

This comes as a surprise, I wouldn't have thought the Juke would be cramped in the back.

This comes as a surprise, I wouldn't have thought the Juke would be cramped in the back.

Just joshing?