VW Golf or SEAT Arona? - Callumwilki9
Hello,

Sorry in advance if I have put this in the wrong place.

I was wondering what you think is a better car for a family of three (I have a 11 week old daughter).

I’m stuck between the VW Golf Match edition 1.5 petrol or the SEAT Arona SE Tech 1.0.

It’s mainly the boot size of the Arona and the ride Height that makes it an option.

What do you think is the better car and why?
VW Golf or SEAT Arona? - badbusdriver
Hello, Sorry in advance if I have put this in the wrong place. I was wondering what you think is a better car for a family of three (I have a 11 week old daughter). I’m stuck between the VW Golf Match edition 1.5 petrol or the SEAT Arona SE Tech 1.0. It’s mainly the boot size of the Arona and the ride Height that makes it an option. What do you think is the better car and why?

Not in the wrong place at all. Firstly, i'm curious as to why you are comparing the 1.5 Golf to the 1.0 Arona (as opposed to the 1.0 Golf)?.

Re boot space, there is very little in it with the Arona being only 20 litres greater volume. But with the Arona being 12 cm shorter than the Golf, it is fair to assume its boot will be shorter front to back, but deeper. So it would really boil down to which space was more useful to fit what you are likely to be carrying. With the seat height, getting small kids into child seats in a car with higher seats is definately a plus point, but not sure how much higher the Arona's seats will be, given it is a 'mini SUV'.

One thing i would say is regarding the VAG 1.5TSI engine as there has been a fairly long running thread on here recently discussing the problems with this engine, so i'm not sure i'd be willing to get one with that engine myself. Pity, as its predecessor, the 1.4TSI seems to have been an absolute blinder of an engine.

But, IMO, i'd discount the Golf with that engine, but even if the Golf had the (apparently excellent) 1.0, i think i'd still go with the Arona.

Found the thread i mentioned,

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/127714/skoda-karoq--

Edited by badbusdriver on 18/03/2019 at 18:33

VW Golf or SEAT Arona? - Senexdriver
With a family, an SUV every time. For a given overall size you will get more interior space than a hatchback and the higher positioning of everything makes life considerably easier.

The Arona is not a car I would ever buy as it’s too small for my needs, but out of interest I read some reviews of it last week and they were unanimous in their praise for it. By all accounts it’s a cracker and, being a bit of a Seat fan, in your position I’d seriously consider it. The Golf, on the other hand, has a long pedigree and is a very competent car. You wouldn’t be disappointed with it and, as mentioned above, you’d probably find that in terms of cubic feet the boot capacity is much the same. I’d echo the remarks about the 1.0 engine as it is a lively little unit and probably more than capable of pulling a Golf around.
VW Golf or SEAT Arona? - badbusdriver

With a family, an SUV every time. For a given overall size you will get more interior space than a hatchback and the higher positioning of everything makes life considerably easier.

Not that simple here with the OP's question as the Arona is the 'mini' suv, so more like the Polo or Ibiza in terms of its footprint rather than a Golf or Leon. The Ateca would be more directly comparable to the Golf/Leon sized car, and yes, much bigger boot and interior space.

VW Golf or SEAT Arona? - Regdor

It may be worth checking out the posts on "kangarooing" 1.5 VAG engines and seeing if the problem gets resolved, a lot of people have said they hate the car so much they have traded them in at great expense!!! What history has the one you are looking at if it is used?

We have looked at both Golf and Arona. The VW t-Roc is a match for the Arona and we prefer the Arona. but not happy with the seats, a bit thin. there is also e new VW T-cross.

One thing we have found is that hatch-backs "doors" can vary a lot in terms of weight and hand hold.The Golf is heavy to close and has a tiny and slippery "hole" that is useless for grip.

At just 5 Ft tall my wife says it is impossible for her to close! The new Ford Focus is better in this aspect.

VW Golf or SEAT Arona? - Avant

You may already have found out how much gubbins babies need to be taken with them. Get a good test drive in both, takikng bay and buggy with you, and see which suits you best. If the Golf is high enough off the ground for you, also consider the Golf estate, or a Skoda Fabia or Octavia.

If you like the Arona's height but it isn't big enough, you'll need to look at the SEAT Ateca, Skoda Karoq or VW T-Roc from the VW Group stable, but also include the Suzuki Vitara on your shortlist..

VW Golf or SEAT Arona? - veloceman
My other half has an Arona Fr. 1.0 115bhp engine is a treat and regularly achieved 55mpg.
The FR has the same suspension set up as lesser models and rides extremely well on 17’’ wheels. It’s really just a trim level. Only annoying omission is a central arm rest
There is of course the higher driving position.
I think I’ve has this discussion before but even though it is Ibiza based I felt it was more roomy than the Leon I had at the time.
VW Golf or SEAT Arona? - Waino

Good morning. I started the thread mentioned in the 2nd post above, concerning the 1.5 EVO petrol engine. Whilst the basic specs of this engine sound very good i.e. petrol, 150hp, etc, my advice stays the same ........ DO NOT touch one with a barge-pole.

My 1.5 (manual) Karoq is back with the dealer and, until a (software?) fix is found, I have been given a 2L diesel Scout as a courtesy car.

I strongly advise anyone contemplating buying a car with this 1.5 engine to check out the various VAG owners' forums; some have sold their cars at great loss (and the problem is transferred to someone else), others are stuck with a dodgy vehicle while others, like myself, have rejected or maintain the right to reject if a fix is not forthcoming.