VW Golf Gearbox Filler Plug stuck? - andrew4
Hi All

I have a VW Golf Ryder 1300 81,000 miles.

I was hoping to check the gearbox oil level but the filler plug socket is stuck. I have used the correct hexagonal key and it is definitely the correct plug.

Any suggestions please. If I use a larger spanner on the key will there be a danger of stripping the thread as the required torque is only 25Nm?

Thanks

Andrew
VW Golf Gearbox Filler Plug stuck? - fitz
Try some penetrating lubricant such as WD40 several times and leave it to penetrate for a few hours or overnight. At the same time find a way to sharply strike the plug a few times with a hammer in attempt to break the hold any corrosion or dried gunge may have on the thread. Do not strike it directly, place a suitable solid metal object in contact with the plug and then strike this so that the blow is transferred to the plug. Choose your object carefully so that the socket hole in the plug is not damaged. Also take care that the gearbox is not damaged.

Just because the manual says that the plug should be tightened to 25 Nm it does not mean that someone has not over tightened it, in which case it will need more torque to free it. If you use a bigger spanner you will not damage the thread, but there will be a danger of rounding the hexagonal hole in the plug or the hex socket.
VW Golf Gearbox Filler Plug stuck? - Aprilia
A method I've had success with is to use an old impact driver with a half-inch drive output. Fix appropriate toolpiece to the driver and hit with a hammer (not too hard). This should free the plug. You can get an impact driver from Machine Mart or similar. Make sure that you have enough clearance to get it on to the plug though.
If that fails then use a punch on the plug and try and tap it around that way. Once it starts to move it should come out with the proper tool.
VW Golf Gearbox Filler Plug stuck? - Cliff Pope
This is being wise after the event, but do you mean this is the first time the oil level has been checked in 81000 miles? Isn't it a regular service check every 10000 miles or something?
VW Golf Gearbox Filler Plug stuck? - Peter D
If this is the same as a Mk III then the plugg is tappered and can be very tight. They are right hand treaded so anti clockwise is the direction you just need a bit more leverage as long as the key is a goog fit. I use a stub of hex key in a hex socket on a mediam length driver. Good Luck. Regards Peter
VW Golf Gearbox Filler Plug stuck? - jc
Is this the g/box where you lose all your gears if you undo the wrong bolt?
VW Golf Gearbox Filler Plug stuck? - racingkarts
try warming it up - the casing will expand, the bolt wont- thus making it looser - not to hot, a good indication is some soap - put the soap on the casing, warm it up, when the soap goes black, undo the bolt. simple - also - buy some plus-gas - it\'s great stuff
VW Golf Gearbox Filler Plug stuck? - Peter D
The use of soap if the method used for indicating the point at which rolled/sheet aluminium anneals i.e. relaxes into its workable state. I susggest that is too hot for the casing as the oil seal is in the same casing. Best heat transfer is hot water on the casing and mask off the plug with the key in it to keep it cooler then undo it. I have never heard a taper plug crack before when undoing, they normally just start to move slightly then become quite free. Regards Peter
VW Golf Gearbox Filler Plug stuck? - none
It isn't stuck - it's just 'gone' tight. A decent 19mm allen key (might be 14mm) and a good long extension bar should shift it. They usually go with a loud crack. Don't pussyfoot about with short leverage tools, you won't undo it - and might cause enough damage to make the plug immoveable.