Jeep Cherokee - Can I Soup Up the Power Steering? - Ben Paul

Hi Forum

I'm after your sagely advice please! Is it possible to increase the power in my power steering?

I just bought a Jeep Cherokee and my back is in flames every time I drive it. It's a 2015 Automatic Diesel so it's fairly new and has reasonable power steering but it just feels 20% heavier than my old Hyundai (IX35) and my back seems to be responding badly to it.

I'm really not enjoying the ride and wanted to explore my options before I sell it at a big loss. I want to keep the car as every other aspect is great but I can't do with the pain!

Thank you in advance.

Ben

Edited by Ben Paul on 11/03/2019 at 14:20

Jeep Cherokee - Can I Soup Up the Power Steering? - badbusdriver

Hi Forum

I'm after your sagely advice please! Is it possible to increase the power in my power steering?

I just bought a Jeep Cherokee and my back is in flames every time I drive it. It's a 2015 Automatic Diesel so it's fairly new and has reasonable power steering but it just feels 20% heavier than my old Hyundai (IX35) and my back seems to be responding badly to it.

I'm really not enjoying the ride and wanted to explore my options before I sell it at a big loss. I want to keep the car as every other aspect is great but I can't do with the pain!

Thank you in advance.

Ben

Given it is an American car i find it difficult to believe it is meant to be that heavy to steer. My first thought is that there may be different settings for the weight. We had this on our last car, a Hyundai i30, but all it did was add weight, didn't sharpen it up or anything so a waste of time IMO. If this is not the case, look at owners reviews and road tests to find out if the car is known to have heavy steering, because the alternative is there could be a problem with the steering.

I am curious to know why you bought a car you find akward and uncomfortable to steer?, i'm assuming you had a test drive?.

As for 'souping up' the power steering, i'm not menchanically minded, but if it has electric power steering it may be possible to do something with it. I know there are companies who will retro fit electric power steering systems to classic cars, maybe one of those could help if nothing else is forthcoming.

Edited by badbusdriver on 11/03/2019 at 15:21

Thanks BBD. I took it for a test drive and it felt fine, however after a day driving in the City and taking lots of twists and turns and tight corners it took a real toll on my back. I wish you could take a car for a few days before you decided to buy or not!

It's not hugely heavy but heavy enough to be targeting a weakness i have in my upper back. Something my Hyundai just never did.

Edited by Ben Paul on 11/03/2019 at 16:08

Jeep Cherokee - Can I Soup Up the Power Steering? - bathtub tom

Have you checked the front tyre pressures? It may help by increasing them a couple of PSI.

Has it got aftermarket wheels with much fatter tyres?

Jeep Cherokee - Can I Soup Up the Power Steering? - badbusdriver

Done a bit of research, and can find no mention of heavy steering in owners reviews (Autotrader and Parkers), but there are not that much of them. Also had a quick read through the Honest John review of the car, no mention of the steering. But, i was reading through an Autocar roadtest of the current model (which i believe would be the same as yours barring updates) and came upon this paragraph under 'ride and handling',

The electrically assisted steering is accurate but retains a heft that’s uncommon in modern cars. Moreover, there’s no great benefit as a result, because it gives no greater indication than that of any other SUV as to what the wheels are up to. To that extent, the Jeep DNA has been retained. Unfortunately, in this case, we don’t mean it as a compliment.

So they certainly seem to have noticed it being heavier than expected.

That Autocar extract also seems to confirm that they do indeed have electric power steering, so with that in mind, i went looking for places doing (electric) power steering conversions. Found this place which interested as the EPAS page shows that the weight of steering is adjustable. No idea what, if anything, a company like this could do for you, or how much it might cost, but might be worth an email to enquire. Bear in mind though, one of the reasons electric power steering is now pretty much de rigueur (in addition to the lower emissions) due to it being much cheaper than hydraulic.

www.dcemotorsport.com/Home/EPAS

Jeep Cherokee - Can I Soup Up the Power Steering? - FiestaOwner
That Autocar extract also seems to confirm that they do indeed have electric power steering, so with that in mind, i went looking for places doing (electric) power steering conversions. Found this place which interested as the EPAS page shows that the weight of steering is adjustable. No idea what, if anything, a company like this could do for you, or how much it might cost, but might be worth an email to enquire. Bear in mind though, one of the reasons electric power steering is now pretty much de rigueur (in addition to the lower emissions) due to it being much cheaper than hydraulic.

www.dcemotorsport.com/Home/EPAS

I've noticed Motability suppliers advertising that they can lighten power steering too. Some companies I've found are below. I have no experience of any of these companies:

www.steeringdevelopments.co.uk/products/driving-co...g

www.brookmiller.co.uk/adaptions/lightened-power-st.../

adaptationstation.co.uk/products/lightened-power-s...g

www.drivingmobility.org.uk/information/physical-di.../

You guys are AMAZING! thank you. Your generosity of time and effort is much appreciated, i shall follow all the advice above and let you know how i get on.

It is a hefty car and I maybe it doesn't translate from the rugged off road terrain to the winding streets of London but surely it shouldn't be such an effort to turn the car left or right!

Thank you all.

Jeep Cherokee - Can I Soup Up the Power Steering? - elekie&a/c doctor

I guess this car is Fiat based. On some Fiat models the power steering can be switched from "city" to "highway" . I wonder if this can be done through the dash menu or by the dealer?

Another great point. There's a Jeep dealer about 10 miles from me, i'm going to call them too.