Automatic car purchase advice - dazzabeezer

Hi

I am looking at buying a used Automatic. 1.6l - 2l, NOT Diesel, 2012 onwards, Hatchback, Saloon, Mini SUV - Budget is £8k

What do people recommend? And equally what to avoid?

I am in Hertfordshire. Any dealers recommended within a 30 mile Radius.

Thank you

Edited by dazzabeezer on 07/03/2019 at 15:51

Automatic car purchase advice - badbusdriver

Hatchback?, Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Auris, Hyundai i30

Saloon?, Honda Accord, Ford Mondeo, Mazda 6

Mini SUV?, Not sure exactly what you mean by mini SUV as they are a fairly recent phenomenon apart from one or two Honda's and Suzuki's, but i think you'd struggle to get in to something post 2012 for £8k. You could probably get into a 2011 Honda CRV for that, but not that small a car. Subaru Forester, again not too small, but around 2010 for £8k. Suzuki grand Vitara maybe?.

Automatic car purchase advice - SLO76
I’d favour a Honda Civic 1.8 or a Mazda 2.0 Skyactiv at this sort of money. Both are very robust and decent on fuel. Upgrading to an SUV will dramatically increase running costs and reduce the distance your initial money will go. A Toyota Auris 1.6 CVT or Avensis 1.8 CVT are reasonable alternatives but the first two are better autos.

Oh, and what to avoid?, anything with an automated manual gearbox, such as VW's DSG or Ford's Powershift.

Automatic car purchase advice - paul 1963

I agree with Slo, friend's got a auto civic, a very pleasant drive indeed. I would strongly advise you stay away from stuff like BMW's or mercs.

please come back to us and let us know what you've seen/bought.

Thanks for advice.

I am struggling to find much, is this a 'bad' time to be looking as the new reg plates are upcoming?

Regards the cars you mention - if I find something that is an older car, less mileage (.e.g 2006, 40,000) or a newer car more mileage (e.g. 2013, 80,000)?

Automatic car purchase advice - Engineer Andy

Thanks for advice.

I am struggling to find much, is this a 'bad' time to be looking as the new reg plates are upcoming?

Regards the cars you mention - if I find something that is an older car, less mileage (.e.g 2006, 40,000) or a newer car more mileage (e.g. 2013, 80,000)?

As regards the Mazda3:

Buying a higher mileage newer car is no problem if it has a FSH and usese decent parts/consumables in line with the manufacturers requirements. a 5-6 yo car with 80k miles is only about 13-16k miles pa. If that was on motorways, then there won't be much wear and tear. Often low mileage examples used to urban driving at low speed from cold can lead to problems down the road.

My 13yo Mazda3 1.6 petrol saloon (owned from new, not may saloons about) only has 65k miles - less usage (donesn't do the brakes much good sitting around), but when I do use it, it's on fast flowing roads for a decent distance, so it fully warms up. If I was getting a new one to replace mine, the car would've been one on your possibles. To be fair, most people prefer the hatch despite the saloon being the looker of the two, because it has a big boot opening (but a smaller boot).

Far more hatchbacks about - if I were you, I'd go for a late 1.6 petrol gen-2 or early 2.0 petrol gen-3 car as you'll find they will have no rust issues (not all gen-1 cars have them but the early ones [mid 2005 and earlier] do to a reasonable degree) - none reported on the gen-2 or 3 cars in the UK.

Edited by dazzabeezer on 09/03/2019 at 21:07

What do people think of this car?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180824980...1

Looks pretty good from what the pictures show. The only two things which put me off are the cheapo tyres (if the previous owner skimped here, where else?), and the fact that the reg number is hidden, so we can't check the MOT history (though presumably they'd be willing to give it to you if you were interested in buying).

Automatic car purchase advice - Happy Blue!

His postcode is visible.

BBD - remove your post.

As quick as i replied, the post disappeared!?

Edited by badbusdriver on 09/03/2019 at 21:09

Sorry! I saw the mileage and it was a bit higher than I would like so deleted it!

Having problems finding much around at the moment. May wait a month until the new reg is out.

His postcode is visible.

BBD - remove your post.

Didn't notice that, also, i'm not sure how or indeed if i can delete the post?. Is it that big a risk though?, i know i've posted plenty of links to cars on here which could well have my postcode, unless i happen to be searching for cars local to the OP.

Sorry! I saw the mileage and it was a bit higher than I would like so deleted it!

Having problems finding much around at the moment. May wait a month until the new reg is out.

I'm not sure i'd be unduly concerned by the mileage on the example you did post a link to, this is a Honda after all, and it is a good price for it's age. Could well be a bargain?.