Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Kekettykek

So this is prompted by a friendly argument I've had with a couple of family members. They think I'm nuts for having never had breakdown cover. I've been driving for 25+ years and in that time, despite driving some pretty ropey cars, I've broken down twice. In both cases I called up the nearest recovery firm and paid them cash to take me home or to a garage. Total cost: £120.

I'm not sure how much cover would have cost me over those years but I imagine it would have been well into four figures.

Do you think breakdown cover is absolutely essential, purely for peace of mind or a waste of money?

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Heidfirst

I have it for peace of mind. I have probably used it 2x in 20+ years, 1 of which was 200+ miles from home. Of course part of the equation depends upon the age/type/condition of the car(s) that you drive & how far/where you drive.

You can get a reasonable solution for £40/year - it is worth that to me for my peace of mind.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - barney100

I think the home start function is so useful. Saved me hassle and cash over the years.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Engineer Andy

I think the home start function is so useful. Saved me hassle and cash over the years.

Especially if there's no-one around to give you a jump-start. My RAC cover states that to use the on-street Roadside cover, I must be quite some distance from my home (can't remember how far, but it's enough that I wouldn't want to push my car all that way).

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - skidpan

From memory these are the occasions we have called out our break down assist over the past 6 years.

2013 2008 BMW 118D. Broken front spring rendering car undriveable. Needed recovering at 5pm Friday which would probably have resulted in a long wait for private rescue. Aviva took car to our local BMW Indie as rquested.

2014 2013 Seat Leon 1.4 TSi. Mechanic left sump plug loose at service resulting in oils slick on the drive. Unable to access plug because of underbody shield and since my tools were elsewhere I was unable to DIY. Found leak Sunday lunchtime so probably would have got a private company fairly quickly.

2017 1993 Caterham. Fuel pump failure. American part which is not exactly easy to obtain Sunday afternoon. Needed recovery mid afternoon in Lincolnshire on a hot summers afternoon, would have no doubt waited ages for a private company. Recovered home as requested so that I could DIY repair.

Since 2013 I have spent approx £420 in total (£60 a year) on policies with Aviva rescue. It covers me and the Mrs for any car we are driving or passenger in.

I would say that is money well spent.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - concrete

I think it is a prudent move to have some form of basic cover, at least to get you moving or home. I have usually had it with warranty or extended warranty, through the insurance company or now via my bank account. The Nationwide cover is for any vehicle my wife and I are travelling in, either separately or together. It also includes full breakdown assistance in Europe which also includes the caravan if I am towing. From memory Greenflag cover was only about £35 per annum and used them twice very successfully. Used the Nationwide cover once when my sons' car broke down. No problem, quick fix. It afford some peace of mind, especially as one grows older!

Cheers Concrete

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - gordonbennet

I have it, cheapest full recovery i know of, Autoaid.

If we had a breakdown miles from home, i don't want the car recovering to the nearest garage because it's entirely possible i will be able to fix the problem myself for a fraction of the cost at home, so the cheaper of the mainstream breakdowns which only recover to the nearest garage are of no interest.

Peace of mind also that my wife has cover when i could many hundreds of miles away at work.

It's good sense for people unable or unwilling to change their own wheel in the event of a puncture, thats if they have a spare wheel.

You're not mad though, if i wasn't on the road at unearthly hours i too might rethink, but at £45 IIRC this year it's cheap peace of mind.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - dan86

Just renewed with auto aid it's gone up to £48 for the year but still a good price. Had to use them a couple of years ago when the alternator went on my Chrysler I had at the time. Turned up in 20 minutes (local agent was just round the corner) had me to a garage of my choice within the hour.

Worth it for the piece of mind for less than the cost of a tank of fuel

I got my RAC renewed this year (Roadside/At Home) for about £65, not bad, given that cars over 10yo like mine get a premium penalty for their age. The cheapest (I didn't look at AutoAid) I found was Green Flag, but only £3 cheaper. Not really worth changing over.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - nellyjak

Snap...I have the same cover .....Autoaid...2 cars....covering any car I'm driving..£45..what's not to like.

I always have cover even though I've never used it...though Murphy's Law dictates that should I decide one year to go with out it...I'll find myself needing it.!!!

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Andrew-T

If you can be sure of only breaking down at a convenient time of day, and in an easily accessible place (or never breaking down at all) then clearly you have no need to shell out a moderate annual amount. It's only another kind of insurance - or wager you enter into with a company you may or may not trust. Your choice.

Most of us probably don't get 'value for money' for our warranties or insurances, except on the rare occasions when we are very grateful for them.

Edited by Andrew-T on 01/03/2019 at 18:05

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Chris M

Depends on personal circumstances. If I regularly travelled hundreds of miles from home or abroad I possibly would, but I don't. I've had cover for "free" previously and actually used it twice. Both occasions would have been easily managed if cover wasn't there, but it was, so I used it.

Generally I am anti insurance, despite having spent all my working life in the business. I'd be peeved having spent 40x annual premiums for nothing and knowing I'd subsidised drivers who don't do basic servicing and snowflakes.

Depends on personal circumstances. If I regularly travelled hundreds of miles from home or abroad I possibly would, but I don't. I've had cover for "free" previously and actually used it twice. Both occasions would have been easily managed if cover wasn't there, but it was, so I used it.

Generally I am anti insurance, despite having spent all my working life in the business. I'd be peeved having spent 40x annual premiums for nothing and knowing I'd subsidised drivers who don't do basic servicing and snowflakes.

The problem is that not all breakdowns happen because your car hasn't been well kept. Parts DO wear out/fail suddenly, or you can experience a failure due to unforseen circumstances.

My old Micra broke the water pump belt and started to overheat on a hot July day (nearly 20 years ago now) on my way home from work. The reason why it did was because a large stone on the road flicked up into the engine bay from below (I heard it, followed by the belt snapping). The car was only 3-4 years old and well looked after.

I managed to make it home (I wasn't that far away, about 10 miles) without the head gasket blowing (I kept an eye on the temperature gauage - nowhere safe to pull over), so called out the RAC who replaced the belt (I paid for the belt @ £8) and (once it had cooled sufficiently) topped up my coolant with a bit of water. Got it checked at a local dealer for the coolant content afterwards, all fine.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Chris M

Not saying I'll never break down, but if I do, whatever it costs to recover me and the car, it will be manageable.

Out of interest, who buys boiler cover?

Not saying I'll never break down, but if I do, whatever it costs to recover me and the car, it will be manageable.

Out of interest, who buys boiler cover?

Ah, that's different. For one, local plumbers are (proven in many studies) far better (on average) than staffed ones from the utility firms etc, and can come out just as quickly as them to diagnose and fix problems.

If you buy a decent make of boiler, use a quality plumber to install and service it annually as well as maintain it more generally, it will work out far cheaper than buying the utility company's own/preferred brand and shelling out best part of £200+pa every year for cover, when that doesn't cover everything - many have limits on expenditure and will go up a LOT or reduce the cover level as the boiler ages.

As someone who has designed heating systems (mainly commercial, but some for new housing developments and refurbs) for a long time, I know how reliable such systems can be (or not), and how much parts and labour costs. In my view, if you do your homework, buy a reliable, good quality boiler and use a decent plumber, there's no need for boiler/heating system cover over the long term.

All you need as a backup is a reliable electrical sypply and the odd electric heater in case of a problem (9 times out of 10 they go wrong in the depths of winter). With cars, what happens on a Sunday and you're in the middle of nowhere and you may only have a 2G phone signal? No chance in getting hold of a local garage.

An out-of-the-way area may only have one garage, and the owner may already be dealing with another customer (if they are indeed open at the time, especially in the evening/early morning). Given that with the breakdown firms (at least the major ones) you only pay for parts for most fixable (at the roadside in a reasonable timeframe) issues, then that will save you a lot and hopefully get you back on the road, rather than stuck at a garage with no courtesy car available because the owner doesn't have the right part. All for £45 - £125 pa (depending on the level of cover).

Again, if you buy the right car (reliability-wise), like general insurance, you'll save money on the premium because they know you'll be less likely to call them out. I mean, I pay £65 or so covering At Home/Roadside for a 13yo car. The cost has actually reduced since I bought the car in early 2006 (was about £85 back then), and that's not even including for inflation - it's probably about half the price if it was.

For me, definetly for piece of mind and worth essentially a tankfull or so of fuel for the cheapest cover level. Trying to find a local garage to tow/inspect/fix you car is probably difficult and expensive, especially at busy periods, on Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Better to be safe than sorry. You could find yourself well out of pocket should a breakdown occur at such times if you have to rely on a local, and you have less comeback legally if they do a poor job. Save up - all it takes is going without some small luxury/item (say one drink per week or two from the local boozer [or something else]). Many former colleagues of mine spent more on crisps per week than it costs for breakdown cover.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Steveieb
Think you have to factor in the make of car into the equation.
I never ever had to call them when I owned a Honda Accord but got to know my local recovery men by Christian name when I had the Renault Espace.
One journey down to Devon I called them twice in an hour.
So if you drive a French or Italian car , cover is essential in my mind . Japanese or Korean car handy for flat batteries and punctures. Even the coil springs are properly formed and hence less likely to snap.
Some friends broke down at the Channel port and the AA took 14 hours to recover them to Northants because of their relay arrangement whereby each part of the journey is limited to 3 hours max, there by none of the trucks have to be fitted with tacos apparently.
Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - FP

I have had breakdown cover for the last few years, as I'm now of an age where I can do without the hassle of dealing with stuff on the hoof, but for many years I did without, and either managed a bodge repair at the roadside or limped somewhere to get the problem sorted. I was fortunate in never having to call out a breakdown service because I was completely stranded - with one exception: a flat battery (self-inflicted) on one occasion when miles from anywhere in France; fortunately I had breakdown cover just for the holiday.

In my early motoring career cars were easier for your average joe to repair anyway.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - John F

Not mad at all. Indeed, worth a gamble if you are car-savvy, can change a wheel, and can afford the immediate joining fee and repair/recovery bill if disaster strikes. Much of their work (and income) is from dealing with muppets with flat batteries, empty fuel tanks and punctures. I've only called recovery twice in around 40yrs -once back in the 1990s when I didn't realize the pressure was so high in the fuel line that it would burst the pipe I used (scrapped from an old washing machine, I think) to replace a leaking rusty stretch by the rear wheel of my old Audi 100, and once in 2016 when the failing fuel pump on our Focus blew its fuse. (If I'd had the nous to swap in a bigger fuse, which is what the RAC did, even that wouldn't have been necessary). Sadly, since then, SWMBO, although thankfully completely devoid of car snobbery, insists on it now. But I must have saved several hundred pounds over the years.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - KB.

Auto Aid here too. Have been since 1984.

At the price they charge it would be rude not to - especially if you consider the possibility of coming to grief on the A38 at Splatford Split in the dark and wet ... or the lane that goes from Leusdon church to Newbridge via Lowertown (believe me, that's an "interesting" little lane.

And if my Mrs happens to be out on her own what's she supposed to do? Change a wheel or start self diagnosing herself .... she barely knows how to open the bonnet. And why would she when she's got her own personal slave to check the levels and tyre pressures? :-)

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Andrew-T

..... But I must have saved several hundred pounds over the years.

And what did you spend it all on, John ? :-))

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - John F

..... But I must have saved several hundred pounds over the years.

And what did you spend it all on, John ? :-))

Petrol for the gas guzzling cars I like to drive;-)

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Big John

Do you think breakdown cover is absolutely essential, purely for peace of mind or a waste of money?

If your driving is just local then just possibly it's not essential other than that for me you'd be bonkers without it.

I’ve been glad for breakdown cover in the past. I've had a radiator failure on an Allegro way back when, the infamous Pinto oil pump driveshaft failure on a Ford Capri and later on big end failure on the same (probably due to the earlier issue!), clutch failure on a Polo and front wheel bearing failure on my kit car. All involved lengthy expensive recoveries. Think I’ve had a couple of flat battery jump starts in my time as well.

My sister also has had a Yorkshire to Bristol recovery after total clutch failure (Hers was GEM breakdown - fantastic response and service)

My later cars have been reliable (mainly Skoda's - await wrath of VAG haters) , however these days I frequently drive the length of the country and in Europe (er for now!) so breakdown cover really important. I've used Autoaid in the past but I now use my joint Nationwide flex + account which for £13 month gives me European wide breakdown for a car each for myself and Mrs bigjohn (anyone driving - my son has tested this after leaving the lights on!) and personal breakdown cover for both of us. This also includes travel insurance that works (including with one of us with a pre-existing condition of the big C a few years ago) , mobile phone insurance (my son has also tested this) and 3% interest up to a balance of £2500 (in my case this returns about £6 month - effectively reducing the cost to £7 month) . Before this account our travel insurance alone was more expensive!

Edited by Big John on 01/03/2019 at 22:47

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - liammcl

Autoaid here,
always been good,
but, I think they have been taken over a few years ago?...

I had a bump before xmas 2018,
at 5pm... 3 hours later the recovery truck turned up,
moved me and the car away from the risky position it was in on a dual carriage way.

He then informed me that he had brought the wrong pickup truck,
so I would have to be towed 20 miles to their depot
and I would be charged £35 a night storage, since the car couldn't be brought to my home address as it was too dangerous to be left on a public road.

My niece had to come at midnight, and rescue me from the rescue people !

To their credit they rang the following Monday, and offered to waive the next year's premium.
Cheekily, I asked them for another £20 , to fill up my niece's petrol tank..
They offered £70 compensation , all in ... cheque in post

Liam
ps she broke down a few months back, with no insurance...
and they wanted silly money to come and rescue her,
so the mighty pug 106 came to her rescue :)
i.ibb.co/BZ6sHjf/DSCF2841.jpg

Edited by liammcl on 02/03/2019 at 02:36

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - oldroverboy.

I have start rescue and found them excellent when the fuel system failed on the Venga. came quickly, took car to dealership and then took me home.!

www.startrescue.co.uk/

£37.95 for uk only with everything..

And, if you have the APP it tells them you exact location....

• Unlike some vehicle breakdown apps, the startrescue app does not require you to make a telephone call to report your breakdown.
  • Once you have completed the simple registration process, reporting your breakdown takes less than 15 seconds.
  • When we receive your request for assistance we will already know who you are*, what type of policy you have*, where you are and what may be wrong with your vehicle.
  • Thanks to your smart phone’s built in GPS, we will know exactly where you are.
  • We will call you back and confirm your details, saving you the cost of the phone call.
  • Customers with Speech or Hearing difficulties can report their vehicle breakdown through the Mobile App and use the additional notes section for special requests such as ‘Please only communicate by text message’.

If you are not a startrescue.co.uk member, we will provide you with a quotation for our Pay On Use assistance.

When help is on its way, you will receive a message stating who will be attending and how long they will be. The app is free and available to both startrescue.co.uk members and non-members.

*Only startrescue.co.uk members will benefit from this feature.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 02/03/2019 at 06:28

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Nomag

Autoaid for last few years

Covers both me and Mrs for £48 for any car - no brainer

Used them twice, once when caravan wheel came off on A19 at 60mph (interesting!) - strictly speaking the car was not broken down at all, but they came none the less, big lump hammer got the bar under the caravan which had moved 12" forward having been dragged down the tarmac back in position, few spare wheel nuts to refix caravan wheel and we were back on our way..

Then again early Jan this year. Sorrento had been sat at Heathrow for 3 weeks whilst we were in Oz, flat battery. Came in about an hour and 2 mins later we were on our way.

It's so cheap at effectively £24 each not to have it.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - FoxyJukebox

I belong to the cheapest GreenFlag .

I will continue to have breakdown insurance because i know that sure as eggs is eggs, the very moment I decide it is a waste of time and money--I will break down on a wet night, miles from home and regret it.

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - bluezzr1100

I agree. Never had it in nearly 40 years of driving. Broke down once-got a friend to tow me home and that was a Ford Cortina with a snapped cam belt which I had fixed within a couple of hours. Pintos didn't bend valves-not the 2 litre ones anyway. Plus I don't rely on garages to do the maintenance so my cars are far more reliable as a result!!!!

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - Senexdriver
Some people are able to go through life with a “we’ll sort something out” attitude and - somehow - it always works out. Goodness knows how, but it does. I have never been able to trust to luck to that extent so I’ve always had breakdown cover.

In the early days I carried a spare clutch cable, fan belt, points, condenser and top and bottom hose which meant that I was only likely to need recovery for something I couldn’t fix on the spot and in those days Red-somebody-or-other (was it Red Flag?) offered recovery only at an affordable price and that’s what I opted for. Never had to call them out.

Then when I bought my first car from a dealer in 1986 and was obliged to have it serviced by them for warranty purposes I hung up my overalls and gave up on fixing breakdowns myself. I also took out more comprehensive breakdown cover. Since 1999 when I bought my first brand new car we’ve had breakdown cover wrapped up in the warranty and we’ve only bought brand new ever since. We made one claim under the VAG breakdown/warranty when the turbo on my wife’s Ibiza packed up. The VAG guy came out twice before the Seat dealer accepted defeat and replaced the turbo.

Between 1986 and 1999 when we drove a series of pre-owned cars we must have made several call-outs. Some that I recall were coil failure on a Vauxhall Carlton, carburettor problems due to the automatic choke on that same Carlton, heater hose failure on a Renault Savannah, total ignition failure on the same Savannah when I had in a fit of confusion turned on the immobiliser unknowingly (the recovery guy was stumped and the Renault dealer couldn’t understand why such a simple issue had been overlooked - red face on my part), persistent overheating with a Renault Espace until the dealer eventually fessed up to a blown head gasket when my patience ran out (looking back, I’m convinced it was blown when we bought the car and the dealer kept reassuring me after numerous repairs that this time it was fixed, long enough for me to be unable to argue that it was blown all along).

I’m also now of an age where if the worst happens I want the car taken to a garage and me and whoever is with me (almost always my wife) taken home as soon as possible. And when she’s out in her car, I certainly don’t want her standing around on a dark, wet winter night waiting for help for longer than is necessary.
Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - bazza

Do these companies include cover for towing away after a collision? I've only had experience of breakdown, and when our Octavia was destroyed in a head on, the police arranged towing to the scrapyard . On the one other occasion, the car was just about drive able. I see a lot of cars on the tow truck after what looks like just a minor knock these days .

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - KB.

A note for those who have Auto Aid cover.

I was just tidying my car related paperwork and thought I'd check my AutoAid stuff to be sure I was up to date and had the correct info. in the car.

It seems there were changes about 8 months ago that have a bit of an effect on breakdowns at home or within 1 mile. The changes don't apply to current policy holders as we speak but upon renewal they may well. The current terms and conditions are all on the website. It looks like the main change at the moment relates to home start cover and breakdowns within one mile of home address. There used to be a £65 limit on the latter but it appears that has been done away with on the new wording. Motor caravans were limited to something like 2.5 tons (don't quote me on that) ... but they're now covering 3.5 tons.

I called them a moment ago and the young lady was very helpful and spent much time explaining the situation. I got the impression that they are considering their offering and that there will be more changes to come .... it didn't necessarily sound as though the changes are for the worse (but we all know that as everyone tightens their belt any changes tend to bring downsides (or increases in cost).

Regarding recovery after an accident or vandalism .... she said it's generally considered conventional for the insurer to arrange recovery but that they would do so provided the authority of the insurer has been sought. She said it would be inadvisable to circumvent the insurer in case the act of recovering the vehicle without the insurer consenting could reflect badly or cause problems if the insurer refused a claim due to avehicle being moved without their say so. (My interpretation ... you get the gist)

The assistant did say they are changing the cover from "policyholder and wife/husband" to Policyholder and partner" (again, don't quote me but you get the idea).

To emphasise - current policyholders are unaffected... we shall see what happens in future.

The website reminds people that the main 'AutoAid' cover is "personal cover" and covers the policy holder and spouse in any car, whereas their associated, sister, company, 'Autonational', is vehicle based.

Edited by KB. on 07/03/2019 at 16:03

Am I mad for not having breakdown cover? - edlithgow

Had it last year under insurance my GF arranged. Was pretty cheap but I didn't use it and didn't renew, and I have possibly the worst car in Taiwan.

In the UK I never had it. though I did once get helped by an AA patrolman on the A9 in a snowstorm. Throttle cable (Marina Estate, 1800 B Series. Only the best...) had jammed on and we were accelerating uphill. Wasn't sure how the sudden engine-braking effect of switch-off would affect control (still don't know) so told the GF, who was driving, to de-clutch and switch off "simultaneously". She did (a) but not (b), causing the engine to race its nuts off until I turned it off and we coasted to a layby.

Tappets were loose, which I was fixing, but my torch was a bit weak and the AA guys one was, as you might hope, a lot better.

I wasn't a member but I THINK the car may have had a little badge. IIRC I gave the guy a fiver. Might have been a tenner but anyway a lot cheaper than an annual subscription.

Edited by edlithgow on 09/03/2019 at 01:28