Ford Transit - A Faulty Van - what are my rights? - Robert Miles

I recently bought a 2008 Transit van from a dealer at retail price (£3800)

I was warned that the turbo had been reconditioned and would therefore smell and smoke a little for a couple of weeks.

After 3 days the smoking was getting worse so I took it to a garage, they came back with the diagnosis that it needed a new engine and new turbo.

The sales garage bought it from another garage and he has said the mechanic there doubts there is anything wrong with it but he is willing to have a look at it.

That didn't sound very impartial to me so I started to look into my rights and under the consumer act I said I wanted to reject the van. However, in the small print (that I signed) it says they only deal business to business, making my consumer rights different.

Has anyone had an experience like this? My ideal solution is that I want my money back because the van is not fit for purpose and I no longer trust the seller.

This may be helpful...

- I am a sole trader, the van will probably be used 80% personal and 20% business

- I bought it with personal money

- It was bought 3 weeks ago

Ford Transit - A Faulty Van - what are my rights? - Palcouk

As a self employed buisinessman, you purchased for business use, and as such the consumer rights do not apply, doesnt matter what the small print says.

80/20 use split makes no difference, niether does personal funds

You would need to resort to small claims to either claim for the repairs or to cancel the sale for a refund.

And as the wheels of justice move very slowly you would probably have to wait at least 6 months for any result, and then it assumes you could force the other party to pay

Ford Transit - A Faulty Van - what are my rights? - Robert Miles

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am still covered by the sale of goods act though, right? And this does say that the goods need to be 'fit for purpose'

Ford Transit - A Faulty Van - what are my rights? - RT

The Sale of Goods Act was replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 but for B2B the Sale of Goods Act applies.