2009 Kia Rio 1.4 petrol - Smell of petrol in car but no apparent leak? - badbusdriver

Mother in law has a 2009 Kia Rio 1.4 petrol (Ironically she has just ordered a brand new Hyundai i10, but won't get it till about the 18th of next month!), but starting recently there has been a strong smell of petrol in the car. I have not had the chance to inspect it myself yet, but according to her there is no leakage of petrol on her drive or whatever. At the same time, she did mention recently that the car didn't seem to be going as far before she topped up the fuel. I find it hard to believe these two things are not connected, but can't imagine how there would be no eveidence of leaking. Could the fuel could be leaking out of the tank but ending up somewhere else in the car?.

Does that seem possible, or does anyone have any other ideas what might be going on?.

Thanks.

BTW, she did have it to a garage about it, they couldn't find any problem, but i've just spoken to my son who was out with her today and he confirmed that there is a strong smell of petrol.

2009 Kia Rio 1.4 petrol - Smell of petrol in car but no apparent leak? - bathtub tom

Petrol evaporates! It could be something like the petrol filler neck corroded that's having petrol sloshed when driving, but not dripping when parked.

2009 Kia Rio 1.4 petrol - Smell of petrol in car but no apparent leak? - badbusdriver

Petrol evaporates! It could be something like the petrol filler neck corroded that's having petrol sloshed when driving, but not dripping when parked.

Worth a look, I may get the opportunity to do that tomorrow, thanks

2009 Kia Rio 1.4 petrol - Smell of petrol in car but no apparent leak? - Gibbo_Wirral

Is there access to the tank pump under the back seats?

Is there access to the tank pump under the back seats?

I don't know, but having now had a look at and under the car myself, i'm not sure there is any need!. Frankly i am bemused at the fact that she could see no evidence of a fuel leak, and am quite astonished that the garage she took the car to could find nothing wrong!.

I was at her house this afternoon to clean her windows, and could immediately see a dark patch under the back of the car. Furthermore, when i got down to have a look underneath, it was obvious to me that there is petrol leaking from the seam at the rear of the tank. Goodness knows how the garage could have missed that with the car up on a ramp?.

Not really sure what, if anything, to do about it though. She will get her new car around the 18th of next month, but i have suggested she try and get it sooner. She doesn't use the car very much, but she does use it. And while she doesn't want to be driving about in an unsafe car, she doesn't want to be shelling out for a new tank, especially as the Hyundai dealer is giving her a pittance for it against her new i10.

2009 Kia Rio 1.4 petrol - Smell of petrol in car but no apparent leak? - Big John

Are you sure it is a the seam itself - could be above eg where the sender/pump are fastened to the tank and then after sloshing around any petrol leaking past gaskets/seals will find their way south and ultimately dripping of any points/lips/seams etc. Worth having a look for access panels (possibly under the rear seat base) and seeing if there is evidence of petrol here.

Just a thought.

[EDIT] Looking at a few picture of Kia tanks on ebay there is a sender/fuel pickpup point on the top of the tank - worth checking that gasket!

Edited by Big John on 22/02/2019 at 22:35