Any - Views on these - Car

As well as considering the Ford Mondeo 1.6 Ecoboost (see post www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/128695/ford-mondeo...d) I am also considering the following:-

Hyundai ix 35 with 1.6 petrol.

Vauxahall Zafira Tourer with 1.4 T engine.

Honda Civic with 1.6 Diesel or 1.8 petrol.

Peugeot 3008 2.0 Hdi FAP (what auto box were fitted to these?).

Skoda Octavia/superb with 1.4 engine

Looking for peoples experiences with the above cars.

Thanks in advance.

Any - Views on these - badbusdriver

The Hyundai is a heavy old bus and has a n/a 1.6 petrol, which, on paper, appears to have sufficient power, but in reality its lack of torque combined with its weight means that it would be no fun to drive. So I'd avoid that. Zafira's are not usually recommended on here for a variety of reasons, usually to do with the Fiat diesel engines though, so the 1.4t might be OK. The Civic is absolutely fine as either petrol or diesel, the latter of which is one of very few modern diesels that doesn't seem to suffer from the usual emissions equipment related problems. Plus 70mpg!. The Peugeot I'm not sure about your question at the moment, it may depend on the age though. The current 3008 only uses a t/c auto, but the previous version, certainly as a 1.6 diesel, had an automated manual. But I have a feeling that the higher powered versions of it may have used a t/c auto. The Skoda's, as far as I am aware are fine, so long as you avoid the version of the engine with a timing chain. This again will depend on the age of car you are looking at, I'm not sure off the top of my head what age they had belts from. Also, avoid these as autos, they use the dual clutch automated manual.

The age of the prospective cars would be

Vauxhall zafira Tourer 2013 to 2015

Hyundai ix35 2012

Peugeot 3008 2013 to 2014

Honda civic 2012 to 2014

Skoda Octavia/superb 2012 to 2013

Budget max £8300

Hope the above helps

Any - Views on these - SLO76
I’d leave the Peugeot but otherwise your selection is pretty decent. The Mondeo would be the best to drive but the Civic 1.6 DTEC is a great and very cost effective family hatch with plenty of space, decent performance and genuine 70mpg capability. If you do regular longer runs to allow the DPF to regen then it’s a good option. The 1.8 petrol is utterly dependable though if reliability is paramount.

Had a quick look regarding the Peugeot gearbox. Not 100% sure on it, so because of this, i'd heed SLO's words and avoid. Looking at the 'specifications' of the relevant review on this website, there are two 3008's listed as 2.0HDI FAP auto's. One appears to be a hybrid, and is listed as 'egc', which is definately PSA group speak for automated manual, the other is just listed as 'auto'. Because of the fact that it is notably slower (1.7 seconds) to 60mph, i suspect it to be a t/c auto, but i can't say for sure. Better to play it safe!

Downloaded 3008 handbook it refers to a electronic automatic gearbox and "Porsche tiptronic" automatic gearbox, the illustration for the Tiptronic shows a button for snow mode which ties up with pictures in AutoTrader adverts for 2.0 hdi models.

With regards to the other cars on my shortlist think I'll knock off the IX35 as I'll probably be dissapointed with the performance & mpg.

Any - Views on these - RT

Downloaded 3008 handbook it refers to a electronic automatic gearbox and "Porsche tiptronic" automatic gearbox, the illustration for the Tiptronic shows a button for snow mode which ties up with pictures in AutoTrader adverts for 2.0 hdi models.

With regards to the other cars on my shortlist think I'll knock off the IX35 as I'll probably be dissapointed with the performance & mpg.

"Tiptronic" is a Porsche trademarked term, used under licence by other brands in the VW Group but shouldn't be used by non-VW Group brands.

It is of course used informally by the general public to describe electronic automatic gearboxes with a manual mode.

If my memory serves me right the 2.0 diesel uses a 6-speed Aisin Warner box which should be fine though it is still dependent on Peugeot’s installation and electronic connections to the car itself. It’s the 1.6 diesel that has that awful PSA automated manual box.

The latest 3008 is quite desirable but the older car is plummeting in value, is quite dated and doesn’t drive very well in my opinion. That said the 2.0 diesel is robust and the gearbox (assuming I’m right) should be long lived. But come to sell it in a few years and you’ll struggle. Plus they’re known for electrical gremlins and DPF problems are quite common on cars that don’t see enough miles.

The Japanese options are better used buys. They rarely go wrong and are always easy to sell on.

The latest 3008 is quite desirable but the older car is plummeting in value, is quite dated and doesn’t drive very well in my opinion. That said the 2.0 diesel is robust and the gearbox (assuming I’m right) should be long lived. But come to sell it in a few years and you’ll struggle. Plus they’re known for electrical gremlins and DPF problems are quite common on cars that don’t see enough miles.

The older car also has the misfortune to look like a giant guinea pig! )-;

Thank you.

Looks like the 3008 is another one off the list. So now down to Mondeo, Zafira Tourer and Honda Civic (if I can find a Civic tourer within by budget).

Any - Views on these - apdleam
We have the Civic Tourer 1.6 diesel and it's a great all-rounder. 60mph is certainly achievable, but we've never been near 70mph with it. Got the magic seats and tonnes of rear leg room. Only annoyances are lack of storage space - there's nowhere to put your phone, and lack of lumbar support, which makes long journeys uncomfortable (for me). Boot is massive though, and there's a compartment below the floor which will take a couple of cabin bags as well. We got a 3-seater sofa in the back once, bought on impulse at one of the Next sales!
Surprised you’ve not managed to break 60mpg in the Civic, I managed regularly in a larger, heavier and taller CRV with the same engine. It averaged 56mpg day to day and exceeded 60mpg on longer runs. A refined, flexible and reliable Diesel engine, probably the best 4cyl derv on the road as far as reliability and economy is concerned.
Any - Views on these - apdleam
I'm sure if I reset the trip computer ahead of a long motorway run it might show close to 70mph at the other end, but the menus aren't as user friendly as they should be and it's a faff to do so. I should have clarified, our 60mph figure has been achieved over 5-6000 miles of mixed driving, so we're happy with that. Agree it's a great engine with enough grunt to overtake safely on most circumstances, without ever feeling (or sounding) stressed at 85mph on the motorway.
Any - Views on these - update - Car

The Civic is out for us due to its marmite looks and the tourer being out of our budget. Shame the CRV with this the 1.6 diesel is also too expensive.

Tried out the following for size and liked them.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.8 (@Slo76 would a 1.4 be a better proposition?).

Hyundai IX35.

VW Touran.

May wait a week or so to see what part exchanges come in to dealers from people upgrading to 19 registration

Any - Views on these - update - paul 1963

I've got the 1.4 ( turbo) engine in my moka, good strong engine, pulls like a train if it helps?

currently averaging around 48/50 mpg but most of my trips are local, the motorway trips I have done have shown a rather relaxed 2250rpm @70mph.

Edited by paul 1963 on 26/02/2019 at 07:52

Any - Views on these - update - SLO76
“Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.8 (@Slo76 would a 1.4 be a better proposition?).”

Yes but as with all turbocharged engines make sure it’s seen fresh oil every year. Don’t buy one that’s been neglected.