Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - NARU

We need an estate car for transporting our dog around. She's rather timid, so a car with a low lip and a flat floor is essential. The Ford focus estate seems a good contender.

We tend to buy new/nearly new and run the car for 8-10 years, so long term reliability is a factor.

Are the days of Ford's ecoboost problems now history, or should I be wary?

Edited by NARU on 18/02/2019 at 08:27

Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - SLO76
It remains to be seen if Ford really have sorted the fragile 1.0 Ecoboost but currently they have a terrible reputation for failure and even if it has been fixed the trade are wary of it and bidding well under book so depreciation is a concern. I’d personally forget this engine especially since you plan on longterm ownership. It’s an efficient engine but I’ve found it lacks low speed pull in the heavier Focus and there’s always that reliability worry in the back of the mind.

Instead you could opt for a late previous gen Focus with the tough and pretty gutsy 1.5 Ecoboost which is essentially a downsized version of the older 1.6 Ecoboost which is again base on the old Yamaha designed Zetec-SE motor from the 90’s. This is very robust and will offer Japanese levels of reliability but has typically fluid Ford handling and a reasonable ride as long as you avoid the big wheels on some titanium models. The 2.0 Ecoboost ST is great if fun is the aim and it uses a turbocharged Mazda motor which again is very robust.

If you don’t want to go for such a high spec car though the Toyota Auris Estate is a brilliant little load lugger and utterly reliable if you stick to petrol. The 1.2 turbo is very efficient and strong enough for most needs and the 1.8 Hybrid is great if you do lots of local mileage, just don’t overpay for the latter.

The Honda Civic Estate is another good option too. The 1.8 petrol will outlast the next ice age and the 1.6 diesel will do 70mpg on a run and offers plenty of performance but rarely suffers the woe most modern diesel do, but I’d still stick with petrol if you do a limited mileage.

Both the two Japanese offerings will hold their value better than the Ford as they age too and neither has any real vices to worry about.

Another option would be the Seat Leon Estate with the excellent 1.4 TSi petrol motor. It’s almost as economical as a diesel, just as powerful and drives very nicely. VAG products tend to suffer from trim and electrical maladies as they age though so don’t expect total reliability but the engine should be fine.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/02/2019 at 09:34

Thanks Slo76. Hugely appreciated.

Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - Galaxy

Well I certainly wouldn't touch one.

Cars should have a "proper" engine!

Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - madf

I would not buy ANY Ford. It is unlikely Ford will exist as a US car maker in Europe for 10 years as Ford Europe is a basket case and Ford is a decade or so behind competitors in car technology. And its customer support is abysmal when things go wrong..

(See GM as an example as well)

Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - Lee Power

Friend of mine is a technician at a Ford main dealer, they currently have a 2018 - 1.0 Eco Boost Fiesta in with a failed cambelt tensioner, not bad for a car that's only covered 800 miles from new.

They had 5 x various older Eco Boost powered cars in just before xmas all waiting on replacement engines from Ford - they where on back order at the time.

Ford UK have also refused a warranty replacement on one car they had in the other week with a dead Eco Boost engine due to the owner having it serviced outside the Ford main dealer network.

Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - andrew bairsto

I think you are speaking rubbish.

Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - badbusdriver

Do you have a reason for this comment or are you just trying to offend?.

Because unless you have something to back this up, something which trumps the experiences of someone who knows what they are talking about, i.e, a Ford technician, then i think on balance, i'd have to Lee's mate's actual experiance over your, well, whatever it is (opinion?).

Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - madf

You can think what you like but I suspect the majority of us tend to ignore people uttering their thoughts alone without any supporting evidence.

I think the moon landings were fake... is just as plausible

We've just paid the deposit on a 2017 Honda Civic estate. Very happy with it.

Thanks for the advice - it really is appreciated.

Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - Galaxy

Good choice! Thanks for letting us know.

Ford Focus Estate - Ford 1.0 Ecoboost - now safe to buy? - SLO76

We've just paid the deposit on a 2017 Honda Civic estate. Very happy with it.

Thanks for the advice - it really is appreciated.

Great choice, well bought. I sold loads of Civics over the years all provided excellent service including the £550 runabout I sourced for brother in law nearly two years ago which has never even spluttered or cost more than a tyre for its Mot.