2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - veedoubleu

Hi all, I would be very grateful for any advice here.

I am not a mechanic at all, just a bit of a DIYer, but I definitely wouldn't try and repair anything as advanced as a cambelt. But I'm not completely clueless as to how it works.
Sorry for how long this post is, I just wanted to give all the facts rather than half a story...

Last week my girlfriend's 2011 Peugeot 207 broke down whilst waiting at some traffic lights, I wasn't with her at the time.

A friendly mechanic in the car behind her helped her push the car out of the way and tried starting it a few times, saying he thinks the cambelt had gone.

The AA then eventually turned up and tried starting it a few times and said the same thing - cambelt gone. They towed the car back to her house.

The next day she had a family friend mechanic come out and try and start the car again, and again saying it SOUNDS like the cambelt has gone.

So 3 people so far have said it's the cambelt.
But none of the 3 actually took anything apart, they just listened.

I went round hers at the weekend with my tools and took the top plastic cambelt cover off to have a look as it was just 2 bolts, but the belt wasn't snapped and was still tight in place!

I got her to try starting the car whilst I watched the belt (enough people had already tried to start it themselves so we had nothing to lose), see video I recorded in the streamable link below (with sound), it basically looked like something was stuck and the belt rapidly moved back and forth. The video is here...

streamable.com/jr4bi

Some further checks I did...
- Oil level is ok.
- Coolant level slightly below minimum, and a bit of sludge in there (has always been very dirty in there and Google images show the same on other 207's), but has correct level of protection.
- Took engine cover off but didn't reveal anything as too much oil in there, but what I did see all looked ok.

Some further info about the engine...
- 8v
- Engine code: TU3A (KFV)
- 75k miles done.

Looking at AutoTrader the car could be sold for about £1500 if it was in working condition.
So we're in 3 minds about it...
- Do we pay (a lot) to have it repaired?
- Do we scrap it?
- Do we sell it privately as spares/repairs?

We just want closure before we make the decision really, the thought of scrapping it when it was a possible easy fix for a mechanic will forever haunt us lol.

I've created an imgur album of photos I have taken myself, and some from random Google searches, the album is here...

imgur.com/a/Al3NZ9V

Can anyone tell me the official name for the zip tie clips that I had to snip off the cable that was across the top of the cambelt cover? If we are going to keep the car I need to find 2 replacement clips.

Thank you for reading and any advice on what's possibly broken here is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Edited by veedoubleu on 13/02/2019 at 14:11

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - elekie&a/c doctor
The cam belt is not broken, but the teeth have stripped off the belt resulting is possible engine damage. As to whether it is an economic repair, you would need to ask your local garage.
2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - Railroad.

The valves are normally never fully open when the piston is at Top Dead Centre, and so if the cambelt breaks and the synchronisation is lost then at least one valve will be fully open as the piston comes up the cylinder. They will then collide and the damage is done. The valve will be bent, the valve guide could be damaged and the piston could have suffered too. Not many engines these days are non-interference. Greater power output and higher compression ratios have seen to that.

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - andy815

Its a missing tooth on the cambelt. Had this problem many years ago. One of the blocks that act as teeth has come away, so the cranckshaft drive is not engaging with the belt. Hope you have no engine damage.

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - RichardW

There are no compression strokes - it's got bent valves. That's why 3 experienced mechanics were able to tell you the belt had gone without stripping anything down.

I expect you are looking at the thick end of a grand to fix it - although a head job on this engine is pretty straight forward. It's knackered anyway, so if you've got a reasonable tool kit you've not much to loose by trying to get the head off and seeing where it takes you.

Thanks for all the replies, it's not looking good is it.

I don't understand how ONE tooth could stop the cambelt from travelling around, surely there is going to be some teeth engaged at some point around each of the cogs?

I'm back round her house tomorrow (she lives in the next town on from me), so I think the best plan for me is to remove the bottom cover this time and see if I can spot any missing teeth? Then that would definitely confirm the issue.

I definitely couldn't see any missing teeth around the top, I even used a torch to see down the side of the engine and couldn't see any missing teeth.

Actually, I've just remembered something! When I took the top cover off I did find one random bit of rubber lying on the edge in there. But I just disgarded it as something left in there by a previous mechanic or something.

See this photo here for roughly where I found this single bit of rubber, it was shaped like a cambelt tooth I think, but I don't understand how it would end up at the top beside the non-teeth side of the belt...

imgur.com/a/kSrifdv

Is getting the bottom cover off an easy thing to do on her drive?
Can I just lie my head under the car and just remove a couple of bolts like I did for the top cover?

Could I just manually turn the top cog with a spanner to feed the belt around to inspect the whole lot? Or is it going to be jammed and not move?

Thanks all.

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - elekie&a/c doctor
You don’t need to remove any other parts. Cut the belt with a knife and pull it through. The missing teeth will be obvious.
2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - Chris M

I'm with RichardW. You sound as though you have some of the DIY gene in you. If you have a few spanners, a socket set and a Haynes manual you'll not have too much trouble getting the head off. Assuming there's no piston damage, you just need the head fixing. Find your local engine machine shop (where the local garages get their work done), take the head there and ask them to give you a quote to rebuild it. May only be a couple of hundred quid. Head gasket set, timing belt kit and Bob's your uncle. You may need to buy a few new tools such as a torque wrench, but you'll get a reward from your girlfriend (hopefully!).

And there's a lot of helpful people here should you need it.

Edited by Chris M on 14/02/2019 at 15:00

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - John F

Your video looks and sounds as though the starter pinion is not engaging with the flywheel. Perhaps it is here that teeth are missing? You should be able to easily check the possibly erroneous diagnosis of stripped belt teeth by putting the car in top gear and pushing it to make the engine rotate, thus enabling you to visualise the whole belt. If the teeth are stripped at the crank pulley location, the belt will not move.

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - Big John

Your video looks and sounds as though the starter pinion is not engaging with the flywheel. Perhaps it is here that teeth are missing? You should be able to easily check the possibly erroneous diagnosis of stripped belt teeth by putting the car in top gear and pushing it to make the engine rotate, thus enabling you to visualise the whole belt. If the teeth are stripped at the crank pulley location, the belt will not move.

What you are seeing and hearing are the pistons battering what is left of the valves (that is why the camshaft is twitching! every time a valve is hit again and again). Listen to your mechanics, as they are correct! and stop any further starting attempts.

Pushing in gear will prove nothing as it will only turn the crank shaft in the same way the starter is now. The camshaft will have stripped a few teeth down at the crank shaft end!

Get the head removed to have a look see. You may get away with a few valves if you don't keep trying to bury the old ones in the pistons! Presuming the head casting and valve guides are not damaged

Looks like an easyish job:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z_XkIH6sXk

Edited by Big John on 14/02/2019 at 21:35

Pushing in gear will prove nothing as it will only turn the crank shaft in the same way the starter is now. The camshaft will have stripped a few teeth down at the crank shaft end!

As I said, it will prove the teeth are stripped at the crank if the belt doesn't move. Nothing to lose by trying it if damage already done. Better than cutting it and finding it intact! (although it is presumably either a French cambelt made of cheese rind or an inferior replacement - is it original? )

Y!

As I said, it will prove the teeth are stripped at the crank if the belt doesn't move. Nothing to lose by trying it if damage already done. Better than cutting it and finding it intact! (although it is presumably either a French cambelt made of cheese rind or an inferior replacement - is it original? )

I suppose you could also simply look to see if the crankshaft pulley is turning when trying to start.

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - Andrew-T

The video seems to show that the cambelt (a) looks in fair condition and (b) hardly moves the camshaft. Maybe the tensioner has failed? If the valves are OK (get a compression test) a new belt and tensioner kit might rescue the engine at reasonable cost. It takes an awful lot of missing teeth for a belt to slip on those big sprockets.

The video seems to show that the cambelt (a) looks in fair condition and (b) hardly moves the camshaft. Maybe the tensioner has failed? If the valves are OK (get a compression test) a new belt and tensioner kit might rescue the engine at reasonable cost. It takes an awful lot of missing teeth for a belt to slip on those big sprockets.

It's hardly moving because of the bent valves.

Than could be checked by trying to turn the cam sprocket with a spanner/socket. Beware more damage.

The sprocket at the crankshaft end is much smaller (cam shaft turns one revolutions compared to two for the crank)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z_XkIH6sXk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDph4z51LUQ

As mentioned above cut the belt off and examine

Edited by Big John on 14/02/2019 at 22:05

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - Andrew-T

Nice clips, Big John. The second one shows that you don't need to cut the belt - just slide it off the cam sprocket if you have it exposed !

But only a few missing to slip on the little crank sprocket which has half the number of teeth of the big cam sprocket(s). Further to my last flippant post, this cambelt design is intrinsically poor, as instead of wrapping itself around as many teeth as possible on the little crank sprocket, it is diverted at an angle to drive the water pump, the bearing of which (and/or that of the tensioner pulley) I suspect has become stiff, causing the crank sprocket (not the cam, Big John) to tear off the few teeth it is in contact with at any one time.

The Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 is a much better design, only driving two light cams rather than one big heavy one thus requiring a longer belt with more teeth to spread the minimal load and wear, wrapped nicely round the crank sprocket. That's why you hardly ever hear of any of the zillions in existence breaking.

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - liammcl

I'm with Richard ,Chris and Big John,
deffo do-able if you take your time, take lots of pics, make a4 notes, and lay everything out on paper, with notes where it goes..

I did similar on a 106, and I knew nothing about mechanics when aI started
i.ibb.co/FxmqPYw/26092013-025.jpg

i.ibb.co/0q1ZRvD/27092013-008.jpg

i.ibb.co/RgTjK6c/27092013-013.jpg

just take your time, and don't force anything ...get a feel for it
make a day,or so, of it ...no rush

Tools are cheap of el ebay

Good Luck and May the 4th be with you :)
Liam
ps check all the parts the motor factors give you against the old ones,
as they gave me the wrong outlet valve...no3
no3 should've been the same as no2
i.ibb.co/zfX71XT/27092013-006.jpg

Edited by liammcl on 15/02/2019 at 23:26

Hi all, I couldn't resist and had to take more of the cover off yesterday to get a visual.

And yep, missing teeth! Measured about 10cm of missing teeth in a row.

I've finally accepted that all the valves are bent lol.

The girlfriend wants rid of the car, she's had nothing but bad luck with it over the years and hates it lol.

Cheers for all the replies, I've learnt a lot from all this.

Have you lot any experience of selling a car with a dead cambelt to a local DIY mechanic?

What I'm thinking is if the car is worth £1500 in working condition, and we sold the car for £500 to a local mechanic, then that's £1000 weekend profit for them if they fix all the damage themself?

I'm very nervous of using ebay because of Paypal scammers.

But if I put it on Gumtree at a fixed price I have no idea if I'm close to what it's worth because it's not getting bid on...

2011 Peugeot 207 1.4 8v - Possible failed cambelt? - Chris M

I think eBay is the way to go. Forget PayPal, you want cash on collection. Sell it as you would if all was ok - assuming here it's in reasonable condition otherwise. Clean it and take some decent pictures. Describe it accurately and make it clear that the cam belt has gone.

Have a search of "207 spares or repair" completed sales on eBay. I think you may well get more than the £500 you mention. Going by the number of bids some have, they appear to be in demand.