Used car for £8k? - Sarah kingsley

Hi all

Asking on behalf of my sister. Shes looking at buying her first car and has saved 8k as her budget she wanted to use as deposit on a pcp deal but i told her you could get a used car for the price. Before i say anything else there one important thing you need to know my sister is a medical student (shes in her finanl year) and from august this year she goes into foundation training Y1 then once completed she will go into Foundation Y2 next year after that she will be going into GP specialty training for 3yrs. So she only wants this car untill shes a qulified GP which she will then be changing to the car she really wants. So she will only have this car for just over 5yrs. She needs a car as some of the placements on her teaining can be far away so a car would be better than puplic transport. Shes not too fussy she just requires the car to be pretty reliable to get her there and back , to be comfty since shes doing long journeys and quite ( she has the same hearing condtion as me we both inherited it from our mom).

I thought maybe a kia as they have a long warrenty but not sure? A friend suggested a ford focus as he said there cheap and quite and comfty. Mom suggested a C3 as there comfty and quite.

I justed wanted to know what recommendations she gets on here?

Was i right to suggest getting a used car with the 8k rather than using it as a deposit?

Used car for £8k? - gordonbennet
Was i right to suggest getting a used car with the 8k rather than using it as a deposit?

Yes, you were absolutely right.

The first car is a difficult sell, because the new driver wants something really nice, completely overlooking the fact that are likely to bend the thing in the first year, the odd scrape on a concrete post in a multi storey if the car is on PCP will have to be fixed properly before its handed back, if the car is hers and it accumulates a few knocks over the years it won't matter.

She wants this car to be reliable, presumably reasonable on fuel, fairly quiet and comfortable and to last 5+ years.

Toyota Yaris 1.3 fits the bill nicely, and i wouldn't be spending anywhere near £8k on it, i'd suggest she spends a maximum of £6k and keeps that £2k back for a rainy day, maybe an Auris or even Avensis if she wants something a little bigger, but she may have to go up to her budget for an Avensis.

Toyota petrols tend to be among the most reliable of cars, do not let her be talked into an MMT auto box (Toyota) and do not let her buy any automated manual or twin clutch auto box, any of these things are very likely to give trouble, and they will all be expensive to fix when not if they go wrong.

Suggest she avoids Diesels completely, and to help for quiet and comfort find a car sitting on decent normal profile tyres/wheels, she definately does not want anything on 18" wheels.

Used car for £8k? - Engineer Andy

Presumably your sister won't be awash with cash as she trains up, so getting something decent, but second hand is probably the best option (being in debt when your trying to save up for a home, etc can be quite a burden if you don't need to be).

Does she have a reasonable idea of the annual total mileage, the type of daily journey and roads driven on, e.g. essentially all urban, lots of short hops from one patient's home to the next with (say) 10-30 mins in between trips? More rural setting driving on country lanes at all times of the day and night, etc etc.

Where they live may also factor into what type of engine is needed as well as the distances covered - as you may have read in the news, many cities are now thinking of either financially penalising (via daily charges) or outright banning older (non-Euro6 compliant) diesel-powered vehicles (I wouldn't worry about petrol cars - Euro3 petrol cars are quite old indeed, around the 15+yo mark). The Euro6 compliant cars started appearing around 2014/15.

Does she need it just for going from A to B, i.e. transporting other people around often, or reasonable sized loads that might need a bigger boot and perhaps a slightly larger car or bigger engine. Does she have a budget for insurance, fuel, maintenance and other ongoing costs per year?

Comfort is rather subjective, as often cars feeling fine when new to a year or two old can start to feel rather firm to drive (even if new tyres are fitted) in subsequent years as the suspension wears. This is particularly true of cars shod with larger wheels and low profile, wide tyres.

As such, and to save on the purchase and running costs (fuel, insurance and repairs/replacements), I'd go for a base spec car or the next one up (lower-mid range trim level) with a minimum of 55 profile tyres (preferably 60-65) which help the comfort and tyre/suspension wear by using the greater air in the tyre to cushion the ride. Base spec small cars often come with steel wheels, and coupled with the smaller wheel diameter and higher profile tyres, they are far more resistant to damage from kerbing and potholes.

Standard sizes for such tyres save you quite a bit when the need to be replaced. I looked up what the most common smaller sizes of tyre are:

205/55/16;
195/65/15;
215/55/16;
175/65/14;
185/65/15;
195/60/15;
165/70/14.

The 14in and narrower 15in tyres are normally found on lower spec superminis and city cars, the wider 15in tyres and 16in ones on the lower and mid spec mid-sized cars such as a Ford Focus, VW Golf or suchlike. Some car makes offer cars in variants of these sizes that are far less popular (especially the latest cars) and may cost a lot more when they need to be replaced.

Once you've narrowed down general requirements, we'll have a better idea of what might suit them as far as comfort and reliability. Some cars may meet on of those two, but may not on the other for them. If they narrow the choice to certain trim levels (the lower spec ones are more reliable as they have less gizmos to go wrong), then this helps as well. Aircon is normally available on the trim level above base spec on many standard (non-luxury) cars.

Used car for £8k? - daveyjp
A local main dealer has a 15,000 mile 2 year old Yaris 1.33 on the forecourt at £7,990.

3 year warranty left. I wouldn't look at anything else.

I have asked her the things you need to know to help. And she said the following.

1) mileage - around 20k a year but could be more depending on placements.

2) the roads she will be driving on are a mixture of rural , urban and on the motorway. ( she lives in a village and to get anywere she has to use country roads everyday)

3) the car is mainly to get her to work ( placements which will be in hospitals for the first two years and then in a GP practice for the last 3yrs) and back home again , food shopping, shopping trips for her and mom and to take her son to nursery in the morning ( me or mom pick him up as sister will be working long hours)

4)boot space just enough for shopping ( she does a lot of shopping though) , she has no pets so apart from shopping ect doesn't need a boot any bigger than a focus)

5) costs , insurance and petrol budget monthly £500 ( i doubt it would come to that much but thats her budget) maintance costs she has a little already saved. For Foundation Y1 her salary while training is £27k a year once shes in GP training it goes up.

Used car for £8k? - brettmick

With that mileage I'd think about a Kia Ceed diesel. Seven year warranty, should find a two or three year old one for your money so the choice with be spec and colour fine tuning. Smaller car for big miles is less comfortable but it will depend where the miles are being done, a Yaris in a city might be better for a new driver.

Used car for £8k? - badbusdriver

Tricky one this, because of the mileage. Yes, a Yaris or something would cope fine, and according to the review on this website, is comfortable and quiet on the motorway. But that sort of miles over 3 years is going to make a big dent in its value afterwards, which may not be a factor to your sister, but worth bearing in mind. Were she to go down the route of a Yaris or something similar, as an example, this 2017 20k mile one is at Motorpoint for just under £8k,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190117403...1

But with that mileage, i'd also be inclined to look at possible diesel options. And while the Cee'd is probably a good shout, what with that warranty (make sure it has full Kia service history though), going by what i have read on the forum, the Honda Civic would be what i'd look at. Again, going by what i have read, it does not suffer from the usual maladies of the modern diesel, that of emissions equipment related issues. In addition, it will be extremely economical with up to 70mpg. Which is definately worth thinking about if covering 20k miles per year!. Also, according to the review on this website, the engine is very quiet and refined. That £8k budget would get her into something like this 2015 example,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190103360...1

Here is a 2016 Cee'd at Cargiant. It is the bottom of the range '1', and less than 20k miles'

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190110379...1

One other thing, covering that kind of mileage, cruise control would be worth looking out for. The Yaris, according to the blurb, has this, but for the Civic or Cee'd you'd need a higher spec (SE for the Honda, 2 and above for the Kia)

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/02/2019 at 20:50

Used car for £8k? - Avant

20k a year could perhaps justify a diesel, but as you said she particulartkly needs a quiet car so petrol is probably the way to go. If she wants a Focus-sized car, I'd suggest a shortlist of:

Focus itself (lots to choose from)

Toyota Auris good chance of being reliable, 5-year warranty)

Kia Ceed (7-year warranty)

Honda Civic (the 1.8 petrol has a bit more power - likely to be reliable, but the looks aren't for everyone and the view out of the back is very poor)

Mazda 3 (don't go near a diesel; petrols are reliable but there aren't so many of these around).

Edited by Avant on 02/02/2019 at 23:46

Used car for £8k? - SLO76
With longterm reliability in mind I’d go for something Japanese and petrol. A Honda Civic 1.8 or a Toyota Auris 1.6. The smaller 1.4 Civic and 1.33 Auris won’t really save much on fuel and both lack power so I’d favour the bigger motors unless insurance is substantially different.

Both are spacious, comfortable for distance use and utterly reliable plus there’s steady demand for either once she’s done with it. The 1.6 diesel Civic is one of the few modern diesels I’d recommend to anyone with genuine 70mpg capability but with 5yr plus ownership in mind and its far higher complexity plus the fact that it’ll have higher miles for her money I’d still go for the petrol but I’d be tempted by the diesel if it were my own money and it had a full Honda service history which she intended on preserving.

In the size down a Toyota Yaris 1.33 or Mazda 2 1.5 would do a great job too. Both are totally dependable and cheap to run. But neither is as refined at speed as the larger cars above.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/02/2019 at 22:42

Used car for £8k? - Happy Blue!

Given my (positive) experience of diesels over the last ten years, I think that 20,000 miles a year does warrant a diesel and probably a medium sized vehicle for the long journeys. Not sure I would want to do 20,000 miles a year in a small car if I coud afford a slightly larger one with more comfort.

If the car is going to be kept for five years that is going to add 100,000 miles and that may mean repairs, so I would be looking to buy either a very reliable car, or one with a long warranty (or both) and perhaps not spending the whole £8,000 either.

Peugeot or Citroen with a decent diesel engine would make sense, but the most obvious car is the Honda Civic diesel. However for someone who needs their car, it may be a good idea to see which main dealers are near home or her places of work and decide to buy a make represented locally for servicing etc. Fords are popular because parts are inexpensive and there are many dealers and approved service agents. Just avoid the old 1.6TDCi, but newer engines should be fine.

Used car for £8k? - nellyjak

I'm with SLO....given the requirements and the budget ( a fair one) I'd totally concentrate on petrol AND Japanese....usually utterly reliable, inexpensive to run and still retains some resale value when you want to change the car.

Thanks for all your replys.

She phoned me this morning and said she did a lot of research early hours of this morning and she said the Honda civic is the best car for her. She said its within budget, reliable, cheap to run, good MPG, a good size for her , comfy and quite. And she said that she found the honda extended warranty for used cars which she said would give her peace of mind for 36months as she would choose the 36months option.

www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/extended-guarantee.html

Thank you to everyone for your help. Im glad shes going for used as then apart from maintance costs she will monthly just have petrol and insurance. And im glad she wont be on a finance plan.

Used car for £8k? - SLO76
I wouldn’t pay that sort of money for a warranty although the approved Honda guarantee is as comprehensive as it gets. A 5-6yr old petrol Civic really doesn’t have any real vices to worry about and the only likely problems she’ll have will be wear and tear items like brakes and tyres none of which can be covered by a warranty.

The clutch is the only real concern but again it’s a wear and tear item that wouldn’t be covered on a used car too. With a diesel the DPF is the biggest worry but again it’s a wear and tear item, once it’s full it needs replaced and no warranty will cover this. Tell her to save the money and keep it for any potential wear and tear repairs instead.

I’ve sold loads of older Civics over the years and not had to contend with one major failure. The engines and gearboxes are strong and robust, the body resists rust better than most rivals and the electrics are excellent. There’s little to fear from buying one. Check for clutch wear and look for juddering from cold particularly on diesels. Other than that it’s the usual checks for poor paint repairs and making sure it’s been serviced every year and not neglected.