VW Golf - antifreeze - privateinvestor

Hello

I recently had a new cambelt fitted. On closer examination antifreeze added to the car is orange/red in colour. The VW recommended is Purple coloured and referred to as G13. Should I get it changed?

thank you

VW Golf - antifreeze - elekie&a/c doctor

Is this the same car you had on the 7/1/19 , or have you had the belt changed again??

VW Golf - antifreeze - andrew bairsto

I should not worry about the colour unless you prefer blue.

VW Golf - antifreeze - RT

The purple G13 will last 5 years - most of the others only last 2 years.

VW Golf - antifreeze - John F

Really? Does it suddenly disappear? The pinkish coolant in our Focus has lasted over 18 years, and still seems to transfer heat from one place to another. It has presumably long ago lost any suspended oxygen so no further corrosion will occur. Goodness knows how old the coolant is in my TR7 - some of it dates from when I had to replace the water pump in 2002; and even then I didn't drain it completely.

VW Golf - antifreeze - KenC

Its easier ( and cheaper) to replace coolant as suggested ( within reason) compared to having your waterpump,cooling circuit/heater etc gunked up with muddy red crap, especially if you are planning to keep a car for 10 years or more.

Edited by KenC on 02/02/2019 at 10:45

If the pink clear coolant has turned into 'muddy red crap' it is doubtful the car will last another 10 months, let alone another 10 years! Unscrupulous behaviour would be to replace it.....and then sell the car.

VW Golf - antifreeze - Andrew-T

If the pink clear coolant has turned into 'muddy red crap' it is doubtful the car will last another 10 months, let alone another 10 years!

Most cars have a translucent plastic expansion bottle where the colour of the coolant can be seen. If the colour looks wrong it's a good idea to replace it. The coolant in my 2008 Pug 207SW diesel is still the original blue, so it has never been changed - though it was topped up after a recent cambelt renewal.

VW Golf - antifreeze - RT

Really? Does it suddenly disappear? The pinkish coolant in our Focus has lasted over 18 years, and still seems to transfer heat from one place to another. It has presumably long ago lost any suspended oxygen so no further corrosion will occur. Goodness knows how old the coolant is in my TR7 - some of it dates from when I had to replace the water pump in 2002; and even then I didn't drain it completely.

No, it does't disappear, nor does the anti-freeze disappear - but the anti-corrosive measures drop at end of rated life.

Even without oxygen, many cars will corrode through the use of different materials.

No, it does't disappear, nor does the anti-freeze disappear - but the anti-corrosive measures drop at end of rated life.

The 'anti-corrosive measure' is an organic acid (carboxylic) which reacts with metal surfaces to form a protective layer which lasts for ages. If significant corrosion had occurred, my 18yr old coolant would no longer look like raspberryade.

Even without oxygen, many cars will corrode through the use of different materials.

I presume you are thinking of e.g. an alloy head in proximity to an iron block. I think this would be negligible. I have never found it to be a problem, even in our old Passat which did nearly double the mileage of our current Focus (135,000). Indeed, I think that replacing coolant regularly, thus introducing a fresh supply of corrosive suspended oxygen, plus the associated risk of breaking something or creating potentially damaging air locks, probably does more harm than good. Actually, it was a problem once; removing a 22yr old alloy water pump cover from my TR7's iron block without breaking it took me two days of tapping, blow-torching, freezing and prising!

I do not believe that.

I do not believe that.I have a bottle of orange coloured antifreeze in the garage and it is guaranteed for five years Preststone is the make.

Edited by andrew bairsto on 02/02/2019 at 17:54

VW Golf - antifreeze - bathtub tom

I've experienced pre OAT (Organic Acid Technology) anti-freeze turning to sludge and blocking radiators as it got old. I presume it was ethylene glycol. Admittedly it was in thermo syphon systems.

VW Golf - antifreeze - 3uga

Antifreeze is colourd acording to spec.
Purple is usualy lifetime and only need toping up. No need for complete change as you replace a part of wit with timing belt replacement.
G12 is not compatible in engines designed for g13 but g13 is compatible with engined designed for g12.
G12 is red/orange, while g13 is purple.
G13 is better in preventing corosion of aluminium wich is what your engine block is made of.

So BMW uses orange must tell them.

VW Golf - antifreeze - 3uga

VW uses aluminium engine blocks with cast iron cilinder sleeves. BMW usualy uses cast iron engine blocks resulting in heavier engines.

Rubbish.

VW Golf - antifreeze - skidpan

VW uses aluminium engine blocks with cast iron cilinder sleeves. BMW usualy uses cast iron engine blocks resulting in heavier engines

As said above, total rubbish.

Most (if not all VAG engines made today are alloy but the blocks in the chain drive TSI VAG engines were cast iron.

My 2008 118D (which used the same block as all 2 litre BMW diesels) was all alloy.