Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - Chrisddd

I have recently acquired the Volvo from new (2WD, D3). I have done approximately 2000 miles and the current snowy weather in east Lancashire has revealed very poor traction in slippery conditions. The OEM Michelin Primacy 4 (235/55R18/100V) do not seem up to the job. Can anyone recommend a remedy? If I need to change the tyres is there any suppliers that would take the Michelins in part exchange?

P.S. It is snowing as I type ???!

Thanks.

Edited by Chrisddd on 29/01/2019 at 11:05

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - John F

Can anyone recommend a remedy?

Mainly smooth tyres nearly ten inches wide afford little grip in snow. Interestingly, in this country winter tyres seem to be the same width. During alpine winter hols I had the impression that the locals' winter tyres were significantly narrower than their summer tyres.

Alternatively, you might consider a move to the flat dry east midlands; hazy sunshine as I type...

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - Avant

I think you'd get so little for your tyres even if someone did take them in PX, that you'd be better off getting winter tyres for now and keeping the OE tyres for the summer. It usually costs about £25-£30 to have them swapped over each time, but you'll have twice as long before you need to buy any mnore tyres.

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Michelin Cross Climates, all seasons tyres ,are available for ~£150 each from Black Circles.

You could then sell your almost new summer tyres. Trading in tyres is not a done thing.

If you really need winter tyres, then you could do as the above post suggests.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 29/01/2019 at 11:59

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to investigate the Cross Climates; they could be the answer.

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - Brit_in_Germany

If you do a lot of miles, having a second set doesn't add too much to the overall costs if they wear out before they need to replaced due to age. The best solution is to have winter tyres on a second set of rims but some tyre places will swap over tyres and keep the second set in storage for you.

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - badbusdriver

I am a self employed window cleaner and currently have a set of Nokian (a brand of tyre from Finland, where they have plenty experience of ice and snow!) Weatherproof all season tyres on my VW Caddy. We are just getting the winters first bout of wintery weather up here in North East Scotland and i have been impressed with the Nokian's, both in 'normal' weather and the current snow and ice. Just yesterday i reversed down into a customers drive, it was quite steep and as soon as i stopped i thought it would have been more sensible to park at the top, out on the street!. There was about an inch of snow and a few hard packed tyre tracks, but i needn't have worried, after doing the windows i drove out no problem at all with no wheelspin.

But as has been mentioned, the fad for modern cars, be they SUV's like your Volvo, or just run of the mill Focus sized hatchbacks, are wide low profile tyres, which are no use in icy and/or snowy conditions (BTW, my van tyres are 195/65x15).

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - Engineer Andy

I think you'd get so little for your tyres even if someone did take them in PX, that you'd be better off getting winter tyres for now and keeping the OE tyres for the summer. It usually costs about £25-£30 to have them swapped over each time, but you'll have twice as long before you need to buy any mnore tyres.

Either that or buying some (if allowed by Volvo - see the plate on the drivers door and/or the handbook) slightly smaller steel wheels, narrower, higher profile (smaller internal diameter/same rolling diamater) winter tyres and swapping the current set out and storing them until the weather consistently rises above 7degC (say in March/April) and then swapping the OEM kit back on. It would depend upon whether they had (dry) storage space or willing to pay for the 'other set' to be stored for around 5-7 months every year.

The OP might find that they get more choice in tyres as their OEM size (looking on Black Circles) does seem to limit them to a few all-season tyres (only one or two of note, like the CC+ SUV) and a similar number of winter tyres. And, of course, they would get a better ride quality and, with narrower tyres (and that are winter ones) better grip in the snow. They might even be cheaper, and if they pair them with steel wheels, they'll keep their nice shiny new alloys in great nick for when the weather improves.

Admitedly, the CC+ SUV in OEM size is a reasonable option, and the cheapest in the short term if they could find a buyer for the OEM tyres.

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - SteveLee

You don't have to spend a fortune on cross climates, any branded all season tyre will be a massive improvement. Ten years ago I towed pretty much a whole car park of work colleagues out of peril (my work car park was on a slope and iced over) My Citroen C5 was running budget Chinese all season tyres (Nankang N607s) which gave me plenty of grip in poor conditions. My favourite "customer" was the proud owner of an Audi S4 uslessly spinning 4 rims worth of sporty rubber.

A road biased SUV tyre such as the Toyo Open Country UT will do the job very well too.

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - Engineer Andy

I don't think there's that much difference in the price of the all-seasons available. Whilst they might not stock every one, but a quick check on BlackCircles (normally which has an extensive range available) showed the following available for the OP's specs:

Kumho Solus 4SHA31 SUV (wet grip E rated, mpg C rated) - £113.69 fitted (each)

Michelin CC+ SUV (B/C rated) - £148.99

Pirelli Scorpion Verde (C/C rated) - £142.31

Falken Euroall Season AS210 (B/C rated) - £140.45

Vredestein Quatrac S5 (B/C rated) - £128.90

Actually a few more than I first thought, but most around the £140 - £150 mark. I looked up the Kumhos on the Tyre Reviews website and there are currently no reviews for that tyre (and no tests by magazines), but the ordinary car equivalent did Ok in reviews, but no better than ok. The wet grip rating would be a concern for me.

The Pirelli tyre (TR website again) doesn't appear to do that well in the user reviews, but again, none featured in the (small number) of SUV all season tyre tests. It performance could depend upon what vehicles they are fitted to.

The Falkens get a very good user score, but is skewed because it only has one user review (not close to being representative) and no tests done on them.

The Vredestein tyres listed on BlackCircles are not the SUV version but the 'standard' version - they do quite well (not as good as the CC+/CC+ SUV, but good) in both user reviews and the tests (both types) on Tyre Reviews. These might be a reasonable (cheaper) alternative to the CC+, but given that Michelins tend to last longer, the difference would not be quite so high. Difficult to say about the others given the lack of reviews.

For a brand new expensive car, I'd personally go with the best rubber, especially as it's 'only' £20 a tyre more - I suspect the Op could afford that if they sold on the existing Michellin Primacys.

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - Big John

I myself would also recommend the Michelin Crossclimate (as well as great in cold weather they are still great when hot and/or wet and they are very quiet), however seeing as though you have a newish set of summer wheels /tyres if you have the room how about another set of wheels fitted with winter tyres - probably taller profile on smaller 17" rims (your manual or dealer will tell you what size winter tyres are allowed/tested with the car). Look at a company such as mytyres that do wheel/winter sets.

For my Skoda Superb I bought a used set of alloys and shod them in Continental ts850's. Seems like a big outlay but the extra tyres don't go to waste as whilst the winter tyres are on the car the summer tyres are not being worn out - and vice-versa

Edited by Big John on 29/01/2019 at 20:01

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - brettmick
My V40 has cross climates, bought just before last years snow (an act of genius). Really good, and fine through the hot summer, quieter than the OEM as well.

Thanks so much for all the input. My local kwikfit has CCs at about £150 a corner fitted. I reckon I can get maybe £200 on eBay for the originals. £400 to get improved safety and mobility. I've booked an appointment for Friday! Thanks again.

Volvo XC40 - Volvo XC40 Tyres no good in snow. - Smileyman

This website has very useful videos about tyres, what's good and not so good. You can also research alternative tyres to fit your wheels http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ - but buying a second set of wheels for winter use is also a sensible course of action if you live in areas where snow is common. I did this for my previous car in 2010 when I visited the alps, there was an initial outlay but the winter tyres lasted many years ... and I did delay need to purchase of new tyres by a year or so.