- GerryS
Re: Future proof. Yes – it’s only fair to measure the equivalent CO2 created by the electricity generation needed to power electric cars. However, this is almost always quoted in isolation – where’s the like for like comparison for petrol/diesel cars? The oil for these has to be extracted from an oil well, transported to a refinery, petrol produced, shipped to a petrol station, etc. So, how much CO2 per gallon is produced just by getting the oil from under the ground to the petrol station? Best figures I can find are based on a Stanford University study which indicates that the most efficient petrol production produces something like an extra 30g/km (based on a 50mpg car and production emissions of 1500g CO2 per gallon). For some oil production it can actually be 3x as much as this! And this also doesn’t include the CO2 created by shipping the final fuel by lorry or the CO2 generated by operating the petrol station. Hence, you need to add this on to the official C02 figures for each car to get a fair comparison – which has the effect of making EVs even more attractive than you’re suggesting.
- glidermania

Oh dear, yes, there's a lot of rubbish spoken about electric cars. The question of tail pipe or power station generated CO2 is easily addressed, EV's produce less even when you include that at the power station. Less is less. Countries that embrace EVs, for example Norway, show everyone does NOT charge at the same time thereby bring down the grid. People charge mainly at existing fuel stations, shopping malls and at work where fast 70kwh chargers are installed. Most people do not charge at home because 70kwh chargers are not practicable. If they do charge at home, it is only small 'top up' charging. The accepted wisdom for EVs is to charge enough for the journey or around 75%. This is because using current fast chargers, the batteries can be charged to 75% capacity in about an hour with the last 25% (to 100%) taking almost as long again. In the US Tesla's are showing just a 2 or 3% battery degradation after 100,000 miles. Even older Nissan Leaf's in the UK are showing minimal battery degradation after 75,000 miles. Hydrogen cars are most certainly not going to happen, ever.

Basic rule of the site. Anything personally offensive just gets edited straight out.

Edited by Honestjohn on 05/01/2019 at 02:22

- De Sisti
One thing I don't understand is; if charging points are supposed to be included on,
say, lamposts, how does the driver get billed for the leccy? Is there some sort of 'smart technology' from the charging point that interrogates the car to find owner details?
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 05-01-2019 Part 1 - jchinuk

Car parks around here (East London) can identify the location, using the user's smartphone. I'm guessing something similar will work for charging points.

- Vitesse6
Amazed and confused.

I just don't accept that anyone could flatten their car battery by charging a mobile phone or listening to the radio. It has long been the case particularly for diesel drivers to sit for extended periods with the engine running, I have no idea why they do, nor why so many people turn off the stop start as soon as they start their engines.
Living as I do about 2 miles from the Higher ferry at Dartmouth I too am surprised by the number of people who ignore the notices to turn their engines off, even though they are parked in front of someones house. I expect these are the same people who moan about the high cost of fuel.
- Jonathan Guy Rawson
Vitesse,
I sadly have experience of a battery being drained due to being parked but the conversation continuing through the bluetooth, with the engine off which did indeed kill the battery.

Our Ford focus recently drained the battery while hoovering for approx 40 mins due to interior light (plus the short trips my wife makes ) , so i think the battery i bought 18 months ago has started to fail.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 05-01-2019 Part 1 - Wados
Our Ford focus recently drained the battery while hoovering for approx 40 mins due to interior light (plus the short trips my wife makes ) , so i think the battery i bought 18 months ago has started to fail.

I think the real reason is the "short trips my wife makes". They're not enough to keep the battery charged.

mobilephonesrepairs - Johnalex

I read this paragraph completely on the topic of similarity of modern and earlier technologies,This is a great article I study this paragraph on the topic of similarities between completely new and advanced technologies.This is an amazing article. And that's how I get to learn a lot. Thank you very much for sharing the article.https://www.mobilephonesrepairs.co.uk/

Edited by Johnalex on 19/08/2020 at 10:03