ford galaxy gear cable - homer 1
Please help help help, I have a 1997 ford galaxy 90000mls fsh, three weeks ago my gear stick went very loose and i found i could only pull away in third gear, took the car to a garage and he informed me the gear cable had snapped , so he repaired it two weeks later it went again, took it back repaired again 40 miles later it went again and so on and so on till i got the car back on friday and thought having now taken the car to a ford garage my problems were over this morning it went again can anyone out there offer me any advice or prognosis of this fault i dont think i have much clutch left now as i have burnt it out trying to get to and fro these garages i feel completely drained
ford galaxy gear cable - Big John
Sounds like the gear cable snapping is a result of another fault. Are all the engine/gearbox mounts intact?
ford galaxy gear cable - Morris Ox
You need to have an open and honest conversation withthe service manager, along the lines of 'the cable has failed four times now, so clearly the problem lies with something along the route the cable takes rather than the cable itself - can you please sort it for me, as you ought to have worked this out after the second failure'.

You want to ask him if there have been any technical service bulletins from Ford about the cable and its mechanism (there may be a documented reason for the problem); to have a think yourself about whether or not the failures are random or occur in similar circumstances (e.g., during up/down changes, during hard acceleration/deceleration); whether or not there have been any other symptoms/events which might play a part in it (e.g., an awkward gearchange leading up to the first failure; a recent service during which new lubrication for gearbox/gearchange mechanism was scheduled; whether there has been a failure of something which might cause heat build-up; whether there has been any damage/ work generally which might have necessitated work in the area of the cable run before the first failure.

But...this is really what you pay a service department for. If the same component has failed four times and all they are doing is replacing it then they're not doing much of a job to me. You need to get that point across to the service manager and gently suggest that, having paid Lord knows how much for all the previous failures they didn't find the cause of, this time it's free.
ford galaxy gear cable - jc
They're all VW bits anyway;try them.