Ford Focus - Ford Anti Corrosion Warranty - Alan Daniells

For the Ford anti-corrosion warranty to be valid, do you need to get the car serviced by a dealer (or be able to prove it's been serviced to the same standard) or do you just need to get the paint inspections done? It doesn't seem clear from the service book whether servicing by a dealer in necessary for the anti-corrosion warranty or whether that's just a requirement for the base warranty.

Ford Focus - Ford Anti Corrosion Warranty - skidpan

Unless its changed since our last 3 Fords no inspections are needed for the body warranty warranty, they did not stamp the book since there were no body inspection pages.

But

The paint warranty was only one year thus an inspection would not have been carried out anyway. Has that changed?

The T & C's in your service/warranty book will have all the info you need.

Ford Focus - Ford Anti Corrosion Warranty - carl233

One of my neighbours is a retired former Ford Dealer network owner and in the conversations with them claims under this warranty were typically refused unless the annual body inspections were done and the book stamped for evidence. Unless things have changed in recent years?

Ford Focus - Ford Anti Corrosion Warranty - SLO76
Typically dealers never do any real inspection other than a basic look around while the car is in for a service, I don’t remember ever seeing the inspection stamped in a service book but If they spot corrosion it’ll be mentioned and hopefully repaired before it becomes a bigger issue. But if you have serviced it outside the main dealer network you’ll find 99.9% of the time any paintwork or corrosion warranty claim will be rejected.

Best example was Mercs high profile rot issues in the 90’s. They were repairing and repainting cars, often doing full resprays under warranty but only if you had maintained that costly dealer service record. Most modern makes don’t rot badly,Ford included and I’d be concerned on any relatively young car that’s showing signs of it that it has been through a hedge and poorly repaired.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/12/2018 at 22:00

Ford Focus - Ford Anti Corrosion Warranty - skidpan

The only car we have owned since the 1980s that required a specific annual paint/body inspection was the Kia Ceed.

There was a page in the back for the dealer to stamp and when carried out at the same time as a normal service there was no fee. Owners who used independents for servicing had to visit their Kia dealer for a body/paint chack and were charged between £25 and £50 for the privilege of putting it on the ramp and stamping the book. This charge wiped out any savings they would make by using the independent.

But Kia made the rule clear enough, no stamp, no warranty.

Some owners had the independent stamp the body inspection page but I remember one owner found some rust on the rear door of a Ceed and being upset when Kia refused to repair it. He was furious on the forum and was threatening to take Kia to court claiming their T & C's were not clear and totally unfair.

Our Mondeo had corrosion issues shortly after its first service and these continued until we eventually sold the car, it was the seam sealant reacting with paint and affected a batch of cars made in 2002. There was no place for body stamps in the service book or on the service sheets but every 6 months the car would be in the body shop for a week being sorted. Those 5 visits with a loan car must have cost a fair sum of money.

Just looked on the MOT site, it finally died in 2016 and on the advisories between 2006 and 2015 there was no mention of rust/corrosion. But one interesting point, it had covered fewer miles at its MOT in 2006 than it had when we sold it in 2005, how strange, we PX'd it to a Ford dealer.

Ford Focus - Ford Anti Corrosion Warranty - carl233

Not sure about the latest vehicles but Ford cars for sure did have a stamp area within the service book for body inspections the Fiesta MK6 2002 -2008 is an example of one of the vehicles that did I would assume others of the same years did also? Lets face it they are really as a company after reducing costs in a serious way so do not expect superb protected bodywork on even the latest cars (my opinion). Personally whilst I run a Ford a 22 year old one day to day would not consider a current generation one.

Ford Focus - Ford Anti Corrosion Warranty - John F

All such 'warranties' are basically insurance policies of which the 'premium' consists of an annual payment to the ste@lership. New car buyers are almost always tied into this, often with the inducement of 'free' inspection or even servicing for a short time (the premium is built into the purchase price). Such owners will rarely keep the car longer than a few years during which time it is highly unlikely a problem will manifest itself. If it does, the 'insurer' will try their best to wriggle out of payment or remedial work. Cars these days should last well over ten years before any significant corrosion appears if they are given a reasonable amount of care and attention. So far, our 18yr old 134,000m Focus has required a mere £100's worth of welding at a known weak spot at the rear wheel arch where corrosion had invisibly crept under the plasticised protection - nearly two years ago. I have attended to minor rusting at the seams along the bottom of the doors myself with no more than a screw driver, a bit of sand paper, a small bottle of Kurust and a can of paint from Wilcos.

Edited by John F on 13/12/2018 at 09:55