Vauxhall Mokka replacement - tourantass
My daughter currently runs a Vauxhall Mokka 1.6 petrol which while she likes the driving position, however its rubish on fuel also her family is getting larger....she would like to change it for something bigger to accomadate three under 6year old children and automatic and better fuel compsumsion for her work commute...diesel would give the best mpg but I am worried of potential problems if she goes down the diesel route...she does do over twelve thousand miles a year....does an economical seven seater petrol engined alternative exist...your advice would be much appreciated as I am just getting more confused the more I look at possibles.
Vauxhall Mokka replacement - SLO76
What’s her budget and how long is her commute?
Her budget is upto 8k her daily commute is 25 miles each way. Ta
Vauxhall Mokka replacement - badbusdriver

I think you are going to struggle here with those requirements. If you want an efficient petrol auto, that probably means a small capacity turbo, which in turn points towards VAG products. But the need for an auto means you would have to take on a DSG gearbox, not the last word in dependability. A quick look on Autotrader confirms that the only 7 seat petrol auto cars, up to 1.4 and up to £8k are VW Touran 1.4TSI DSG. Upping the budget to £9k finds two Zafira 1.4t auto's, and while i'm pretty sure these are torque converter, not sure about overall reliablity.

If you do the same search, but for hybrid's, all that comes up are grey import Toyota Estima's. These will be very reliable, but being a 2.4, are unlikely to give any higher mpg than the Mokka.

So that leaves the diesel option, which doesn't neccessarily mean you should panic, but obviously there are concerns. First thing that springs to my mind is the Kia Carens, but on Autotrader there is only one diesel auto of the current shape (2013>), the rest are the previous shape, youngest being 2010. Even with the budget upped to £9.5k there are still only 4 of them!.

Vauxhall Mokka replacement - Ian_SW

Are 7 seats really needed? Or is it more that they need to carry 2 adults and 3 kids?

Most of the 5 seat MPVs like the C-Max, C3 Picasso etc it's possible to get three child seats across the back, and are more common in petrol than the 7 seaters, all the van derived MPVs as well.

The other option if it's only 1 adult and 3 kids most of the time is to stick with the Mokka and put the six year old's booster seat in the front. The second adult would be able to squeeze between the two remaining child seats for short journeys.

Vauxhall Mokka replacement - SLO76
Almost impossible to fulfill her requirements here I’m afraid unless she’s willing and able to put more money into the pot. A Ford C-Max is a good option but the autos all use Ford’s troublesome Powershift gearbox and the engine options other than the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol are all pretty notorious for problems too so it’s pretty much ruled out if she needs substantially better economy than the Mokka and an auto box.

A Toyota Verso would be my first choice for reliability here. There’s nothing to fear from one of these with both the normally aspirated chain driven engine and the CVT gearbox well tried and tested and neither has any real vices to worry about. But they’re well liked by the trade and punters alike who’ll pay strong money for them with sensible mileages so unless she’s willing to go back to the dated pre-facelift model on a 2011-2012 plate she’ll need to dig deeper.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181015152...7

A Honda CRV is a fantastic big family bus too but the requirement for an auto means the larger and much thirstier 2.2 diesel and 4wd so she’d be lucky to get much more than 40-44mpg day to day. Look after it and it’ll run and run however.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181008128...8

But sticking close to that £8k budget the Zafira 1.4T is a worthy option. Reasonable on fuel, though I doubt it’ll really save anything over the Mokka in reality but it’s much larger inside and very comfortable. It uses a robust torque converter automatic gearbox and the engine is generally very robust again if looked after properly. The Fiat designed 2.0 diesel is quicker and better on fuel but has a nasty reputation for issues as it ages.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181010137...6

She/we like the look of that Zafira and what it offers in terms of value spec etc, And I suppose the cheaper price and fuel may go someway to offset a more expensive yet more economical diesel equivelent?
Vauxhall Mokka replacement - S40 Man

How about a diesel mokka. 50 miles a day is plenty to keep a diesel happy. Should do 10+mpg more that petrol one.

Vauxhall Mokka replacement - Theophilus

Toyota Verso 1.8 Auto - HJ real mpg 41 mpg, reliable and 7 seats

Hi..Thanks for all the food for thought, a Touran would be perfect if the auto was trustworthy, the added complication at the moment is she is recovering from a snapped Achilles Tendon which is making the auto a sooner rather than later requirement, otherwise she could leave the auto out of the must have list at the moment, which would help with getting more mpg.
Vauxhall Mokka replacement - barney100

I know there is much talk about diesel problems but my five diesels have been fine apart from one injector which took a lot of getting out. Petrols can cause bother too. Give a diesel a good run regularly and with a bit of luck they are fine. In my experience it's brakes, tyres, suspension etc that get the wallet trembling.

She/we like the look of that Zafira Kindly Linked further up the post...and what it offers in terms of value spec etc, And I suppose the cheaper price and fuel may go someway to offset a more expensive yet more economical diesel equivelent?
Vauxhall Mokka replacement - Hamza Sheraz

what is the budget her have.