Ford - powershift transmission - dafskipman

Hi all, just wondering why there seems to be a bit of a backlash against Fords powershift transmissions recently. Just about every review or road test on any car fitted with this seems to have "Avoid" written all over it. It is bemusing me somewhat as i had always previously read and understood this to be a superb transmission. Previous reports had indicated that provided the fluid was changed every 2 years or so, (£250 a pop), then it should prove to be trouble free. i've even read that in diesel application, Fords powershift transmission is far superior to VAG's DSG transmission. I pose the question because i was considering a powershift equipped car for my next purchase. But, as always id like to seek the views of the industry professionals/experts who post on this forum. Thankyou.

Ford - powershift transmission - daveyjp
Every review says avoid, every road test says avoid, HJ says avoid, people who sell cars for a living say avoid.

Avoid DSG too!

The key for me is Ford no longer use it.

Ford - powershift transmission - gordonbennet

What i can't figure is why in car world these transmissions prove so hopelessly unreliable, but in lorry world they have proved ridiculously reliable over huge mileages.

Ford - powershift transmission - RT

What i can't figure is why in car world these transmissions prove so hopelessly unreliable, but in lorry world they have proved ridiculously reliable over huge mileages.

They're designed for the specific duty cycle required

Ford - powershift transmission - gordonbennet

They're designed for the specific duty cycle required

I wondered if there was more complacency in car buyer world, a lorry that proved dire wouldn't be touched with a barge pole no matter what fancy badge it sported.

Ford - powershift transmission - SLO76
This gearbox has been such a nightmare for Ford that they’ve quietly binned it,replacing it with a conventional lightweight torque converter system instead. There was a high profile class action against Ford in the US that cost them a fortune in compensation and repairs plus legal fees because of the terrible failure rate of Powershift. I wouldn’t touch one and most of the other buyers and dealers I know were reluctant to bid on them. Prices typically were much lower than manuals through the ring as dealers expected higher margins to offset likely comeback and possible higher prep costs.