Decisions - 8K to spend - AndyLucas881
Hi all,

Its time to replace my trusty 106 for something (a little) more upmarket.

I've got 8K to spend and am looking for something that would not attract stratospheric insurance costs. I'm 22.

I really like the MG ZR, looks and ride, albeit only as passenger and also the SEAT Ibiza. Apart from the name but I can live with that.

Any ideas on best model/spec on these two guys? Of course any other suggestions greatly recieved.

Cheers

Andy
Decisions - 8K to spend - daveyjp
Consider the Focus - yes there's loads around, but this means loads to choose from. About group 5 insurance for LX.
Decisions - 8K to spend - Miller
If you look at the Focus get the Zetec not the LX as this has sportier handling and feel due to a different suspension set up.

The MG ZR is a warmed over Rover 25 and will lose a lot of its value quickly if bought, design itself almost 10 years old now.

I'm a loser, baby....so why don't you kill me?!
Decisions - 8K to spend - Aprilia
Are you quite sure about that? I thought Zetec was just a trim level? Suspension, tyres etc. are the same I think...?
Ready to be corrected on this, of course...
Decisions - 8K to spend - andymc {P}
The Ibiza will certainly hold its value better than the ZR - it's just a pity that your budget limits you to a model from the lower end of the scale, at least if you buy a new one. You could always buy a three-year-old Toledo ....
I was looking at an Ibiza 1.4 SE, new shape - 52 plate just within my budget. Is the model recommended from the bunch?
Decisions - 8K to spend - Tim Allcott
An Ibiza drove past me yesterday with 'free insurance for a year' in large letters on the side. Is this a nationwide deal, and would it help?
Looking at Seat.co.uk it is nationwide and yes it is a major plus at my age. Just been checking out the Honda Civic and Toyotal Corolla online, any comments guys?

cheers
Decisions - 8K to spend - daveyjp
Zetec is sportier - 16 inch rather than 15 inch wheels and different suspension set up. I mentioned the LX because that's what I had, I discounted the Zetec when looking as the standard kit wasn't as good as the LX - mine was a late 1999 model. I think since then the spec may have become almost the same on LX and Zetec models.
One of my friends has a 2.0L one and he loves it. He's gonna let me take his for a blast to see what I think. He is a little older than me a 2.0L may bring an eyewatering quote on insurance, I'm gonna have a look.

Andy
Should say I meant 2.0 Zetec
Decisions - 8K to spend - Burnout2
A 1.8 Zetec is probably the optimum Focus - the 2.0 feels barely any quicker unless thrashed. The Civic would offer interminable reliability and a decent drive - you could just about pick up a base 1.4 brand new for £8k, which performs well enough and is very cheap to insure.
Must Admit I'm really warming to the Civic, not ever been in one and can't say I've noticed many but I am definately going to take a closer look. Re the 1.8 Zetec i've heard the same, of course my friend disagrees, he wouldn't wouldn't he?
Decisions - 8K to spend - DavidHM
£8k plus your 106 would do it; you won't get a Civic outright for £8k unfortunately.

If you do want something sporty, a six month old Focus Zetec is a good buy - although if you could take two years' insurance premiums out of the equation, a brand new Fiesta or Focus Zetec (£8k/£9k for a 1.4/1.6 Fiesta and £10.5k for a Focus might make them very affordable).
1.4 Civic for £8k - oh yes you will! Via a well-known south-eastern based car supermarket.
Not so well known for me burnout?

I wanna steer clear of the Fiesta, just don't like the way it looks. The 2yrs free Insurance on a new Focus is a major bonus, they are just so many of them.
See www.trade-sales.co.uk

A great price, but don't expect much of a p/x on the 106 though...
p/x is cool I don't mind a private sale.

checked out the website. Have to admit I'm a little wary of these car supermarkets, I went to Carcraft and IMO they were dire, poor condition vehicles, tried to sell me a cars I just didn't want and they don't seem as Interested if you don't want finance.

Trade Sales generally only sell brand new cars with delivery mileage, so condition shouldn't be a problem. They're also long established and of good repute. They and Motorpoint (based in Derby and Burnley) are the best in the country.

Problem is the number of operators jumping on the bandwagon and calling themselves "supermarkets" where their prices and service are anything but. TS won't give you any sales pitch at all - if you want the car, you pay the price on the screen. Very simple. P/x and finance are there for convenience.
That's Carcraft for you. Trade Sales does nothing but new and very nearly new, at good prices. My uncle bought an imported Focus from there and he was very happy with the whole experience.
Sounds good.
I'm off to Motorpoint (Derby) on Sunday. as I'm living in Nottingham at the moment, its only 10 minutes up the A52. Does buying an imported car, (I've noticed all the Corsas etc at MP are Opel for example) affect resale value. I would have thought it would but am willing to listen.
Andy
Yes it will - understandably in the case of imported Opels, since they are not completely identical to UK-sourced Vauxhalls. A smaller difference where the import is to exact UK spec, and becoming less significant the longer you keep the car.

Not all their cars will be imports by any means though - they're sourced from all over the place.
Decisions - 8K to spend - Maz
Andy, be careful with insurance on imports. You will probably may find Opels expensive or impossible to insure.
Just reading the details online for DirectLine actually, I\'m sure there not all the same but they state that the car has to be a UK model or UK specification otherwise you have to specify it as Import which is undoubtably more expensive.

Decisions - 8K to spend - Maz
A guy I met who was 19 couldn't get insurance a 1.6 Cav because it was an import and called an Opel Vectra.
I guess it would be possible to buy a non-UK spec car but with no *obvious* pointers that this was the case. e.g. no badge saying Opel rather than Vauxhall staring you in the face.

Would the docs have to detail the specification of the vehicle as something other than UK spec?
No Andy, they wouldn't. Obviously if you ask if a vehicle is UK spec and the salesman says it is, he is giving a representation and that is enforceable; if the car is not then UK spec then he is in breach of contract and can be sued for misrepresentation. (Damages will be the same though).

I know that Liverpool Victoria actually includes vehicles such as the Focus Trend on its list that were never sold in the UK, although they are essentially to UK spec. (A Trend is basically a Zetec, for instance).

I would be quite nervous about buying an imported Corsa, partly because Corsas are no more than okay cars, but also because UK ones have free insurance on certain models and resale might be difficult with a car that is so obviously an import, even if it is insurable. That doesn't mean I would never buy one, but the saving would have to be big enough to justify all those potential problems.
Thanks for David. I can't say I'm looking at the Corsa I was just wondering if I went to Motorpoint and they had say, a Honda Civic then I would have to ask if it was UK spec. Thanks for your help I'll bear it in mind!
Andy