Renault Megane - Renault - Xileno

Is anyone running a Megane MK4? I am thinking of one but don't see many about despite having three main dealers within ten mile radius. The engine I've seen is the 1.3 tce, as I only do 3000 miles a year the diesel makes no sense. I am slightly concerned about this modern trend for small highly-stressed engines, the 1.3 kicks out 130bhp but I expect you have to wring its neck to get that. I have not driven it yet, I admit.

I would rather have a larger lazy engine, such as the marvellous 2.0 petrol that was fitted to the 18 GTX we ran years ago. When we bought our Megane MK2 the petrol choice was 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0, likewise the Focus we also run had the choice of 1.4, 1.6 (two power outputs), 1.8, 2.0 and 2.5. It seems manufacturers are reducing the options for us!

Renault Megane - Renault - SLO76
By all accounts quite pleasant things to drive, very comfortable and surprisingly well screwed together but Renault’s TCe 0.9 and 1.2 petrol engines have a rather poor reputation for reliability, especially the 1.2 for some reason. The latest 1.3 is based on this engine and it’s still too early to know if all of the flaws have been rectified. Plus they suffer terrible depreciation and tend to be hard work to sell on again so expect dealers to be reluctant when it comes time to part-ex. I’d sooner have a Mazda 3, Toyota Auris or Honda Civic.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/11/2018 at 19:53

I’d add to that list the Seat Leon 1.4 TSi SE or FR. Very efficient, good to drive and to date the belt driven tsi motors are proving very robust.
Renault Megane - Renault - expat
Plus they suffer terrible depreciation and tend to be hard work to sell on again so expect dealers to be reluctant when it comes time to part-ex. I’d sooner have a Mazda 3, Toyota Auris or Honda Civic.

Terrible depreciation can be an opportunity to get a bargain if you are buying one or two years old and keeping in the long term. It all depends on how reliable it turns out to be. I agree about the Japanese brands though but you are unlikely to be able to drive a hard bargain when buying one of those.

Renault Megane - Renault - badbusdriver

100bhp per litre is not a particularly high specific output so i would not worry too much about it from that point of view. Back in the late 80's the Daihatsu Charade gtti made 100bhp per litre from it's 1.0 triple, and did so reliably. By comparison, various current hot PSA cars are available with a 1.6 turbo kicking out as much as 270bhp (168bhp per litre) and as far as i have read, they seem to be reliable. Of greater concern to me would be Renault's overall reputation for reliability, which is not that great. The current Megane, like most modern cars, is absolutely loaded with modern tech and gadgets, which can all go wrong. But i guess if you were buying new and getting rid of before the warranty was up, you should be OK. Not sure i fancy having one outwith the warranty period though!.

Renault Megane - Renault - Oli rag
Renault used to give a 4 year warranty with their cars, but this was reduced to 3 years recently.

Now this was either because no one ever claimed in the fourth year and it was unnecessary, or there were lots of faults as the cars got older and it was costing them too much.

Which does everyone reckon is the real reason?
Renault Megane - Renault - Engineer Andy
Renault used to give a 4 year warranty with their cars, but this was reduced to 3 years recently. Now this was either because no one ever claimed in the fourth year and it was unnecessary, or there were lots of faults as the cars got older and it was costing them too much. Which does everyone reckon is the real reason?

If anything it would be the second - that's why KIA offer a 7 year warranty of their cars - and is a selling point, including when you sell it on before that 7 year warranty is up, assuming you've followed the service requirements correctly to qualify. It also helps put more service work the way of dealerships, as many people still opt for using indie garages after a standard 3 year warranty is up.

The longer the warranty (as long as it has been calculated correctly vis-a-vis reliability), the more reliable the car. That equals more sales, as Hyundai/KIA demonstrate. Many of the established makes have missed the boat on this issue and are now (literally) paying the price by prioritising styling and gizmos over engineering quality, reliability and good customer service.

Renault Megane - Renault - skidpan
Renault used to give a 4 year warranty with their cars, but this was reduced to 3 years recently. Now this was either because no one ever claimed in the fourth year and it was unnecessary, or there were lots of faults as the cars got older and it was costing them too much. Which does everyone reckon is the real reason?

If anything it would be the second - that's why KIA offer a 7 year warranty of their cars - and is a selling point, including when you sell it on before that 7 year warranty is up, assuming you've followed the service requirements correctly to qualify. It also helps put more service work the way of dealerships, as many people still opt for using indie garages after a standard 3 year warranty is up.

The longer the warranty (as long as it has been calculated correctly vis-a-vis reliability), the more reliable the car. That equals more sales, as Hyundai/KIA demonstrate. Many of the established makes have missed the boat on this issue and are now (literally) paying the price by prioritising styling and gizmos over engineering quality, reliability and good customer service.

Our Kia was 100% reliable for the 5 years we had it. The only warranty claim was for a new A/C condenser which had been holed - expected Kia to blame a stone but there was no argument and it was sorted FOC. Would have another but so far they have not had a car on their books that has met our current needs.

But pop over to the Kia forum and you would soon conclude they are pretty much the worst company on the planet. Constant whingeing by posters about dealers not accepting problems as being covered by the warranty with many saying within weeks of buying that it is their first and last Kia.

This is obviously not Kia's fault, its clear that some (many?) of their dealers prefer to charge customers rather than use the warranty for which they are presumably paid less.

So whilst the warranty may be an initial selling point if dealers do not follow up by carrying out work required it will probably discourage more repeat customers than encouraging them.

Renault Megane - Renault - Avant

"I would rather have a larger lazy engine, such as the marvellous 2.0 petrol that was fitted to the 18 GTX we ran years ago".

Indeed that was a terrific engine: lots of torque, never stressed and totally reliable over very high mileages. I had that engine in the first five company Renaults, two of them 18GTX estates, that I had between 1980 and 2001 - then a Safrane 2.2 and a Laguna 3.0 V6. The only problem was awful residual values, so when I changed jobs and got a higher salary but no car, I went German. I'm now semi-retired, but the current Audi Q2 is in the same mould - big 2.0 petrol engine but medium-sized body. It's excelllent.

For a Megane-sized car with a bit of comparatively unstressed zing, I agree that the SEAT Leon is worth a look (or Skoda Octavia if you need more room - both cheaper than a Golf). The 1.4 petrol engine has changed to a 1.5 but I believe it's similar. SWMBO has an Audi A1 with the 1.4 petrol engine (medium-sized engine, small body) and this too is excellent.

If you're buying on a PCP, the Golf and Audi A3 are also worth a look, as residuals are higher and there could be a good deal.

I am slightly concerned about this modern trend for small highly-stressed engines, the 1.3 kicks out 130bhp but I expect you have to wring its neck to get that. I have not driven it yet, I admit.

Why not try a small modern turbo petrol?

We are on our 2nd VAG 1.4 TSi (a 140 PS and now a 150 PS) and they drive in a far more relaxed manner than any 2.0 N/A petrol I have ever owned or driven (the current Mazda 2.0 petrols are anything but relaxing). On a recent 1000 mile road trip to Scotland I would say I never went above 3500 rpm even when overtaking. They also do teriffic diesel like mpg, the Scottish trip returned 55 mpg.

They are so good the wife now has a 1.0 TSi 110 PS in a Fabia, its truly outstanding.

Edited by Avant on 15/11/2018 at 12:13

Renault Megane - Renault - Cris_on_the_gas

Hired this model for 3 days while on holiday in Menorca. It was an automatic although !

Very impressed and plenty of go in it and nice car to drive. Plenty of power lower down with a surge higher in the rev range.

Not keen on the keyless entry, lane change warnings and electronic parking brake. Would be concerned with these on ownership if anything went wrong.

Lots of useful comments, thanks. I think the next thing is to test drive the 1.3 engine to see whether it suits my driving style. I will try and get to the dealer again this weekend or next.

Some of the points raised:

I'm not bothered about depreciation - I tend to keep my cars until there's not much value left and then pass them on to friends or family. Depreciation is only an issue if you sell. But is Renault depreciation any worse than other mainstream makes such as Ford, Vauxhall, Hyundai etc?

Alternatives to Megane - we have a Ford and Toyota so I like something a bit quirky. Had Renaults for many years (started 1979), like their comfort and refinement.

Reliability - it's well documented that Renault went through a bad patch at the turn of the Century but people I speak to with the newer Clios plus Kadjars and Capturs seem pleased with them. It was the early versions of MK2 Lagunas, Meganes and Scenics that were poor.

Warranty - I guess only Renault will know why they reduced the warranty from four years to three. Doesn't really bother me, the salesman said you can extend the warranty back to four years for a few hundred (I can't remember the exact amount) but that can be lost in negotiations I am sure. All cars are complex these days, I don't think Renaults are any better or worse than other makes. Gone are the days when my rough running Renault 18 that left me limping home was resolved by tightening the carb mounting with a screwdriver - it had worked loose! These days you can't do much without plugging the car into diagnostics.

Renault Megane - Renault - 72 dudes

I also like the look of the latest Megane, so much more interesting than the bland Leon and dowdy Octavia. The new 1.3 turbo engine is available in two states of tune, and I think you'll find it's 140BHP in the Megane.

It also comes in 160BHP guise and is the same as that fitted to the new Mercedes A Class and various Nissans including the facelifted Qashqai.

Depreciation may be slightly worse than for other volume manufacturers, especially during the first 4 or 5 years, but keeping yours long term will make little difference.

Renault quality is now much improved and the Megane in particular looks like a quality product. Reliability out of warranty may or may not be an issue, you may be lucky, but as someone else who ran Renaults years ago without major issues, I can certainly understand the attraction.

Have fun test driving!

Despite my reservations I am or rather was a bit of a fan of French metal. I loved the R19, R25, Safrane and Mk I Laguna. All were comfortable and mechanically simple and although the electrics would give you a headache at some point they were nice things to own.

You’re right to say the firm went through a low patch in the early naughties with the second gen Megane and Laguna but although they’ve made much effort to improve quality there are still far far too many cases of major failures. A quick search online will reveal loads of cases of engine failue on the 1.2 TCe motor, the most high profile seem to be in the Nissan Qashqai. I’m not convinced the firm have quite got these small capacity petrol turbos right yet and to me the most reliable engine they currently produce is the tried and tested 1.5 dci.

I get the desire to be different and it’s your buck so there’s no need to worry about other people’s opinions especially if you have already decided this is the car for you. It’s not what I’d buy for long term ownership but I’ve confidence that you’ll enjoy it certainly while it’s under warranty. The 1.5 diesel is well liked and quite capable of 150k upwards, it is Renault at its best.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/11/2018 at 20:49

Renault Megane - Renault - Happy Blue!

We have a Captur 0.9l in our company fleet. It is 3 1/2 years old and has done just under 30,000 miles. The car has been perfect with no warranty fixes at all and as far as I am aware, no recalls either. The car is driven by a hard driver who should by all rights have found all the faults on a car, but his only complaint is poor economy at high speed; although he waxes lyical about the economy at 60mph; and I think this is typical of small turbocharged engines.

his only complaint is poor economy at high speed; although he waxes lyical about the economy at 60mph; and I think this is typical of small turbocharged engines.

That is "typical" of ALL engines.

Take our 1.0 TSi Fabia. Drive at the legal limit on motorways and it doing 60 mpg on a run, The Note 1.2 DIG-S (supercharged) we had would do the high 50's in similar circumstances. Drop to 60 mph and the mpg would increase, speed up to 80 mph and it would drop.

The non supercharged/turbocharged Micra 1.2 we had would manage about 50 mpg at a 70 mph cruise on the motorway simply because it was having to work harder.

Give me a turbo or supercharged engine any day. better mpg and more performance, its a win-win.

Its not rocket science, all engines use more fuel maintaining a higher speed. Has anyone suggested this to the "hard driver" in your company.

SLO76: your experiences are very similar to mine - I have fond memories of R25 and Safrane. Both extremely comfortable barges and no corrosion problems either, unlike the R20 and R30.

Also had the 1.5 dci in a Megane - a fine engine being reliable, economical, fast and refined.

Even though my mileage is low, I wonder if a 1.5 dci would meet my needs if I kept the oil changed a bit more frequently. Although my 3000 miles a year is low, most of it is longer journeys so the engine would get up to temperature for longer periods and have time for the regeneration to do its work.

If you’re doing mostly longer distances I don’t see why the diesel would be any trouble. It’s not known for DPF issue either and is a clean running reasonably refined little diesel motor. I’ve flogged a fair number of Clios with this engine and never had any bother and it’s quite common to see them with big six figure mileages up. If I wanted a Megane or a Scenic it’s the one I’d buy. Only weak point is timing belts which are known to fail prematurely but change it early and you should be fine aside from the usual Renault electrical trickery as it ages.
If you’re doing mostly longer distances I don’t see why the diesel would be any trouble.

Whilst I agree that a diesel should be fine doing long distances I would be very careful before suggesting that 3000 miles a year would be enough. Broken down that could be a 50 mile trip every couple of weeks and 35 miles a week doing the shopping etc. Depending how the DPF is set to regen you could end up missing or only doing part regens and everytime the light comes on it would be a pain.

We had 2 DPF diesels and averaged about 8000 miles a year in them and never had a single issue. But with the current glut of excellent small turbo petrols why take the risk. The fuel savings are small, the petrols drive better than the diesels and the petrols are cheaper to buy.

“But with the current glut of excellent small turbo petrols why take the risk. The fuel savings are small, the petrols drive better than the diesels and the petrols are cheaper to buy.”

Normally I’d agree Skidpan, I certainly would if the OP was talking about a TSi VAG petrol motor or a Toyota 1.2 T or Honda 1.0T, even Hyundai and Kia’s 1.0 turbo but I can’t with any confidence recommend a TCe Renault or 1.0 Ecoboost Ford. They both have a terrible record for premature failure.
Renault Megane - Renault - daveyK_UK
I would add to your recommend list the 1.0 boosterjet found in various Suziki models, a brilliant engine

Likewise the 1.2 puretech found in Peugeot, Citroen and now Vauxhall cars - fabulous well proven engine

The 1.0 GM turbo engine - found in some Vauxhall’s pre PSA takeover and now in MG models needs time to prove its worth, hears mixed reviews but to early for judgement

Edited by daveyK_UK on 20/11/2018 at 09:51

Renault Megane - Renault - mazdaben

I have a Mégane MK4, a 1.5dci EDC Auto. I love it. I've driven dozens of cars for work, but this was the one I chose for my family.

It's extremely comfortable, efficient and has loads of toys. I've had it for three years and not one thing has gone wrong. It does commuting, short shopping trips, long journeys packed with stuff through France and is good looking to boot.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend one - my wife has bought the 1.2tce 130 about a year ago too, and again no issues at all.

Renault Megane - Renault - Steveieb
So according to the theads the bumper stickers we see on French cars saying "Built in France fell apart in Britain" is now a thing of the past ?
Renault Megane - Renault - madf
So according to the theads the bumper stickers we see on French cars saying "Built in France fell apart in Britain" is now a thing of the past ?

When you see the Quashqai issues people have with keyfobs...