How to cost those little shopping trips? - FoxyJukebox

OK-what's an easy way to notionally cost a short 3 mile -and back-shopping/delivery trip by car( 40mpg -average)?

My wife-(a careful spendthrift!) keeps dashing off for some essential or other and I keep reminding her that it's not just petrol that's £costing. Grrrrr.....

Yes-i know you must include fair wear and tear, insurances, parkings, car tax, servicing ...but what finger in the wind figure can I gainfully use ?

Would be grateful for a something specific--especially since so many on line delivery guys/supermarkets/Amazon etc are often free!

How to cost those little shopping trips? - daveyjp
HMRC rate is 45p a mile.
How to cost those little shopping trips? - madf
HMRC rate is 45p a mile.

Double that for short journeys when wear and fuel usage are highest.

How to cost those little shopping trips? - Engineer Andy
HMRC rate is 45p a mile.

Double that for short journeys when wear and fuel usage are highest.

Indeed, as my circumstances (see the 'generation of cars' thread) show - I've done only 5-6k miles pa, but predominantly made up of longer journeys that my cars have always sufficiently warmed up and been driven on faster flowing roads, and (at least for my current car) the pence per mile figure is over 60p.

I've noticed that my car has had more issues with the brakes (binding, uneven wear) when I've been unemployed or commuting by train (and thus doing very low mileage and seldom using the car) than when I did nearer to the 10k pa mark using it at least 5 days a week for a decent length commute, etc. The insurance barely budged even when I was insuring it for essentially twice as many miles - increasing by maybe 10-15% (£30 - £40pa), so other than fuel costs, the rest were the same.

My parents do a low annual mileage in their 1.25L Fiestas over the years, but its predominantly made up of journeys under 5 miles on urban roads, and they have lots of issues associated with uneven tyre wear and wear of suspension parts, often due to them going over speed humps a lot or just poorly surfaced roads. Of course, despite their car being smaller and in theory, more economical than mine, I think they only get an mpg in the late 30s on average, whereas I get 40-41 in my larger Mazda3 1.6 (both N/A petrols).

How to cost those little shopping trips? - RT
HMRC rate is 45p a mile.

Use the HMRC rate to calculate the cost of each trip x number of trips/week.

The fixed costs are fixed, whether she uses the car or not so it's only marginal cost that's actually incurred.

How to cost those little shopping trips? - Andrew-T

Yes-i know you must include fair wear and tear, insurances, parkings, car tax, servicing ...but what finger in the wind figure can I gainfully use ?

Our learned friends' suggestions look like standard rates for charging business travel. You are talking about marginal avoidable journeys - of your list above, insurance and car tax are unaffected, the others won't be. And as has been said, short trips with a cold start will cause most wear and require more frequent servicing. The 'wear' is difficult to quantify, either by cost or physically. In the end I guess it may affect the resale value of the car, even harder to quantify.

You could try the business-rate argument and say that each impulse trip costs about £5 on top of the purchase (and parking). Best of luck :-)

How to cost those little shopping trips? - FoxyJukebox

Yes indeed--I forgot the notional delivery charges of around £5 that local delivery guys slap on . Electrical retailers, supermarket deliveries of course mark their delivery charges down in order to ramp up business -but a local garden centre I used recently was up front with a £4.99 delivery charge( 1p under £5--roll up roll up-save 1p!).--so next time we suddenly need a loaf of bread I'll just argue--"that sliced white loaf just cost us £6.99".

How to cost those little shopping trips? - nick62

I'd add-up the cost in one year of:

Depreciation, fuel, insurance, VED, servicing/MOT fee, any repairs and divide it by the total miles driven.

How to cost those little shopping trips? - Middleman

My car (which has averaged 40mpg since I've owned it) costs 14p per mile in fuel alone, 29p per mile in all costs except capital depreciation and 69p per mile including depreciation. So in simply fuel it would cost 84p for your six mile round trip.

How to cost those little shopping trips? - galileo

My car (which has averaged 40mpg since I've owned it) costs 14p per mile in fuel alone, 29p per mile in all costs except capital depreciation and 69p per mile including depreciation. So in simply fuel it would cost 84p for your six mile round trip.

To use our local buses (unless you have a Pensioners' free pass) is likely to cost you £4 to £6 and you have to carry your self and your shopping to and from the nearest bus stop, possibly in the rain.

How to cost those little shopping trips? - Warning

> How to cost those little shopping trips?

What about the cost to health?. Relying on free delivery or using the car, makes us less active. Even going to the shops by car and walking up, is better then sitting on the couch for a delivery.

How to cost those little shopping trips? - sammy1

You've bought it, taxed it, insured it, MOT and service so why not use it? Or is it sat on the drive to admire! Do you drive it in the rain? The less you drive it the greater the cost per mile!

How to cost those little shopping trips? - Engineer Andy

You've bought it, taxed it, insured it, MOT and service so why not use it? Or is it sat on the drive to admire! Do you drive it in the rain? The less you drive it the greater the cost per mile!

It depends on the type and frequency of the journeys taken - lots of very short urban trips from cold are bad for cars (more so for modern diesels).

Better to do what I do - to keep the battery topped up and to give it a good run out, I drive to a nearish town (12 miles away) along the local dual carriageway once every 3 weeks in the summer, every 2 in autumn/early spring and once a week in winter - to do my grocery shopping. The in-between weeks I walk to my local supermarket, getting a decent amount of exercise.

Same mileage as doing my weekly shop locally by driving, and far better for the car and far better mpg (+20% over urban only). Overall cost is lower too.

The less you drive it the greater the cost per mile!

So drive it as much as possible just to reduce the cost per mile? That's a cockeyed argument :-(

How to cost those little shopping trips? - Avant

It's probably best to relax and not to worry too much, provided that month by month you are living within your means.

A lot of our threads seem to concentrate on money to the exclusion of everything else. Of course it's a vital aspect of every major decision we make, but not the only one.

Apart from a mild suggestion that Mrs Dogfuzz makes a shopping list so that she doesn't have to go out quite as often, the ability to use the car to pop out to the shops is a big contributor to peace of mind and a more relaxed lifestyle.

As people have suggested above, there are too many things that are variable or unknown for any costing of a shopping trip to be accurate enough to be meaningful.

And if she's the one going out and doing the shopping, Dogfuzz, that's a major contributor to your own lifestyle!

How to cost those little shopping trips? - sammy1

Drive the car more to reduce your cost per mile

The OP asked the cost per mile of short trips, if the car costs you £100 and you drive it 1 mile then the cost per mile is £100, drive it 100miles then the cost is £1 per mile reducing the further you drive. You would of course have to put more fuel in but the initial overhead is the main cost. I always walk locally time permitting or raining cats and dogs

The OP asked the cost per mile of short trips, if the car costs you £100 and you drive it 1 mile then the cost per mile is £100, drive it 100 miles then the cost is £1 per mile reducing the further you drive.

No, he didn't - read it again. He wanted to know the cost of a 3-mile return trip. Rather different I think. 'Cost per mile' is irrelevant I think, unless you use a known value to calculate for 3 or 6 miles.

How to cost those little shopping trips? - craig-pd130

My wife-(a careful spendthrift!) keeps dashing off for some essential or other and I keep reminding her that it's not just petrol that's £costing. Grrrrr.....

Indeed, if you carry on, it might cost you your marriage, and half of your property etc. :-)

How to cost those little shopping trips? - badbusdriver

Because of my wife's health, i do the 'main' shop on a Sunday morning, but i also have to deal with any other things we might need during the week. If i am working, i will stop at Morrisons on the way home, or possibly Tesco in the next nearest town (as a lot of my round has me passing through it to and from work), but if i am off, i will just walk to Morrisons (which is about 5 mins on foot). Because of how close Morrisons is, i have actually been considering getting one of those gardening trailer things, pull it there, chain it up somewhere, do the shopping, transfer the shopping into the trailer and pull it home!.

How to cost those little shopping trips? - Terry W

A truly pointless question except to say a large powerful newer car will cost more than small cheap.

As an accountant when asked "how much does it cost" the answer could alway be how much do you want it to cost".

Fundamentally the answer depends on why you need to know. In summary coetc sts are short term (petrol etc) annual (service and MoT etc), irregular (tyres, repairs) etc) long term (depreciation).

How to cost those little shopping trips? - tourantass
After reading all the above replies, comments and calculations, I would happily pay upto a £1 a mile for my wife to travel in the opposite direction and give me some piece and quiet...Bless her.
How to cost those little shopping trips? - madf
After reading all the above replies, comments and calculations, I would happily pay upto a £1 a mile for my wife to travel in the opposite direction and give me some piece and quiet...Bless her.

:-)

How to cost those little shopping trips? - concrete

We are retired which makes our circumstances different from some. We are able to catch the local bus into our nearest town, about 4 miles, using bus passes of course. SWMBO also get most shopping delivered. She either pays £1 or nothing depending when it arrives, nearly always being around means we can accept delivery in its cheapest form, i.e. unsocial hours.

Shopping, like most other activities requires a bit of forethought and planning. Start with a menu for the week and work from there. Also keep the kitchen staples stocked up to prevent a sudden need to dash to the shop. Thirdly we do have a local 'open all hours' which we use for various items, use it or lose it, and although the prices are not really competitive, it is convenient.

Cheers Concrete