306 HDi - Big Cat
Thinking of buying a 306 HDi, the first Peugeot for many years. Last 14 years had VW's, but last one has been poor and I fancy a change.

Am I letting myself in for (expensive) trouble with a 306? HJ's car by car breakdown lists quite a few potential problems with the 306 but these are probably with the older models.

I can tolerate a lighter build quality which the 306 will have but don't want unreliability. Or should I play safe and get a Golf TDi?

Thoughts please...
306 HDi - Ben79
If you google and look for faults on the HDI engine, you won't find many. The HDI is a gem of an engine, very reliable. Other Peugeot weakpoints are well catered for by independent service agents.

You are not likely to start a journey and have to walk home.

Ben
306 HDi - Andrew-T
I owned two 306 TDs and test drove an HDI when it first appeared (late 99). It stood comparison with a GTI in performance, allowing for the fact that it was a diesel, so I decided to get one when the price became right. This happened last summer, and I have now nursed the 99T car back to proper health with shots of conditioner so that it now does 14 mpl (= 63mpg) which is not far off the quoted figure for inter-urban. I can't think of anything to quibble about, except faint irritating squeaks from the seat belts, one by my right ear (which I can cure with a bit of oil) and the other from the seat stalk. Like all diesels the car is a bit front-heavy, which stops it being 'nimble', but noise is well suppressed. Go for it!
306 HDi - twarde
Can you elaborate on "shots of conditioner"? I've just bought a Citroen C5 2.0 HDI 110 HP and it looks to be doing low 40's MPG
306 HDi - Andrew-T
twarde - there have been dozens of threads here on people's problems trying to sort their dirty diesel motors. HJ swears by Millers DieselClean, but there are several others which are designed to remove gum or sticky stuff which can accumulate in injectors, as well as improving the 'lubricity' of low-sulphur diesel. If you have a serious problem, so that the car fails MoT on emissions, the quick fix is a full 500ml of the stuff in the tank, followed by a 10-mile thrash at 3-4000 rpm to clear the system. HGVs put the stuff straight in the fuel filter, I believe. I prefer 'little and often' by adding 50ml to the tank before every third fill or so.

That said, it doesn't mean that your poor fuel consumption will instantly improve after some shots - but it might. You may have to repeat a few times. If you drive your car hard, upper 40's may be about right.
306 HDi - Andrew-T
I forgot to add - the conditioner I use at present is Wurth stuff designed for common-rail diesels - £5 from Peugeot dealers (at least the one in Northwich). Seemed to do the trick, but I don't know what is special about it.
306 HDi - daveyjp
A colleague as a 206 HDi - only problem was fairly recently when he had to have an engine pulley replaced. Symptoms were rough running, sluggish performance and reduced fuel consumption. It was done under warranty and Peugeot were aware of the problem.
306 HDi - Big Cat
Well it looks like a 306 HDi will serve me ok. However, as I like to do as much maintenance myself as possible, can someone tell me how easy it is to change a clutch and cambelt on these?
306 HDi - pugdriver
I've not owned a 306 but am on my third big pug (405's, now a 406) and I use an independent shop for all engine work. Cambelt's really quite tricky to do, and scarcely worth what you'll save, IMHO. I'm sure lots of people do their own, but for my money it's not worth the bother.

As to clutches, my last one was done by a main dealer, who had a fixed price of £175.00, which no-one else was able to match. On the 405 the box must be removed, and it's a five hour job. It's always worth trying some of the big dealers as they may have a special on.

Haven't moved up to an HDI yet, but the only thing my tame mechanic tells me is that the engine is not so repair-friendly as the old XUD lumps; that's to say that it's more a case of changing components rather than fixing them on the bench. That aside, he sees loads of HDI powered cars, and he reckons it's a good engine.

306 HDi - Ben79
Welcome to the fold! I'm sure you will love your C5. I am putting my second tank in tomorrow, will let you know my consumption. The computer is showing 42.8mpg.

Ben
306 HDi - twarde
Just filled my tank today and its done 45mpg - a bit better than the trip computer suggested. Is it worth still trying the Wurth stuff from Peugeot dealers. The cars done 10,000 miles.
306 HDi - Andrew-T
twarde - a fiver is hardly big money for a treatment which may do a lot of good and can't do any harm!
306 HDi - Ben79
My computer is pessimistic too, it said 42.8 and I calculated 44.8, last time it said 44.8 and I calculated 50.7mpg. (C5 110 HDI)

Average over first 1150 miles is 47mpg per my calculations.
306 HDi - jonesy127 {P}
Was the HDi engine the one prone to throwing its rods through itself??
306 HDi - Andrew-T
No, that was its predecessor the XUD, those built about 1998 I think.
306 HDi - MichaelR
Just the one I was looking at buying! Awesome. What percentage of XUD's were affected?
306 HDi - jonesy127 {P}
Putting 'XUD' in the search field will give you all manner of scary stories to read!
306 HDi - sean
The HDi is a good engine. Nearly as good as the Golf.
Depreciation is not so good. Not as good as the Golf.
For fuel economy you'd be better off with a Golf.
Not as solidly built as the Golf.
Not as reliable as the Golf.
Europe's largest, most R&D focussed, builds the Golf.

Wonder what I'd go for.....?
306 HDi - DavidHM
HDi nearly as good as the Golf - not much in it, as you say.

Depreciation is okay, especially if you're buying an older one that's done its depreciating. When the current Golf is out of production, its values wil soften.

For fuel economy you'd be better off with a Golf. True, but again the difference is marginal.

Not as solidly built as the Golf - true. But it handles better.

Not as reliable as the Golf. Arguably.

Europe's largest, most R&D focused motor manufacturer builds the Golf. And does an okay job of it. Yeah, a Golf is a better car on balance, but I'm very unsure that it justifies the premium over a 306 - although Peugeot franchises can sometimes want the earth.

If you want a sensible car with low depreciation, an Octavia is probably even better at being a Golf than a Golf is. Of course, if you want image, then the Golf has a lot to speak for it.
306 HDi - M.M
Well just to help you out with some long term Cit/Pug vs VW info Sean we've been running a '93 Golf and '93 ZX in the family. Both with full history and caring owners from new.

Had a chance to drive them (both a little over 100k now) back to back the other week and...

Golf has rust on rear wheelarches and tailgate...ZX none.

Golf has split dashboard and broken glovebox (again)...ZX interior faultless.

Golf (cost far more new) has no elec windows, sunroof, ABS etc...ZX has the lot.

Golf drives like an old car...ZX is a far more modern experience.

Golf now worth around "£200 to £400 more as a private sale...Hmm not much difference over ten years is it.

So we just need a ZX or 306 TD for the road and an old LR for the field...motoring heaven...easy.

MM