Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Snakey

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45899580

Oh great, so charging towards another half thought out scheme like we did with diesels.

Lots of talk about banning this and that, but wheres the infrastructure, wheres this magic pollution free electricity coming from to power our all electric cars. I think a lot more people would consider an electric car if they could see some improvement in the existing charging network - outside the capital for a change.The only places I see charging points around here are in supermarkets, who have the council mandated 2 spaces, which are usually out of operation or have a non electric car parked in them

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - madf

Councils are facing more (and quite large) cuts in spending so will do nothing substantive..

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - skidpan

I will be quite happy to buy an electric car but the genuine range will have to be 600 miles (430 miles plus a safety margin). I have no desire to split my twice a year trip to Scotland into several segments while I queue for a charging point and then wait hours for the charge. Charging while we are there should not be an issue, will just need a long enough extension if there are no dedicated charging points locally. At present they seem to have them at most cafes and garden centres but yet to see a single car charging.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Alanovich

In the near future, EVs will have longer ranges, there will be more charging bays and charge time will come down to minutes. And as you notice yourself, charging bays are usually freely available, so why the statement that you'll have to queue for them? Also, rapid DC chargers, available at all motorway service stations, already charge cars in minutes rather than hours. My humble, early tech Leaf takes 45 minutes from empty to full. It'll be no different to petrol stations before too long. In the meantime, you are free to continue owning and using an ICE car, as you will be long, long in to the future. But it might be worth considering whether two journeys a year are reason to discount all the other advantages of electric cars.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Andrew-T

In the near future, EVs will have longer ranges, there will be more charging bays and charge time will come down to minutes.

Charging in minutes will only be possible via heavy-duty cabling. Copper doesn't come cheap, and I don't imagine many domestic owners will want to upgrade their grid connection.

Nobody said domestic chargers have to be upgraded to rapid. Overnight charging is and will be the norm.

Edited by Alanovich on 19/10/2018 at 15:02

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - RT

The "norm" doesn't cut it for longer journeys - neither do "rapid" chargers as they're too slow.

Wake me up when I can get a full charge in the time it takes to empty my bladder at a service station - until then electric is unworkable for me and many others.

Nobody said domestic chargers have to be upgraded to rapid.

Neither did I. I implied that local authorities (or whoever's job it will be) will be reluctant to shell out £££ for expensive cabling - never mind the extra generating capacity to service it. But of course it will all be wind and solar by then .... but the Chinese are doing all they can to keep the price of copper on the up.

Edited by Andrew-T on 19/10/2018 at 18:33

On the other hand, I've been driving an electric car for over a year now, have not been to London with it, and have never had a problem when I've wanted to use a public charging point. Home and workplace charging take care of the majority of needs, as it would for most people. Also, we have 14 years to ramp up provision before this change, and ICE will not disappear on that day, they will be around for decades in the form of cars sold before that date. We will not be banned from using them, just from buying brand new ones.

It's coming, ICE is nearly over, and we will adapt. Renewables are also being ramped up, replacing fossil fuel for energy production. We've already had a zero fossil fuel day for electricity production in this country, this year.

Edited by Alanovich on 19/10/2018 at 14:32

And as you notice yourself, charging bays are usually freely available, so why the statement that you'll have to queue for them?

They are freely available out in the sticks at present since no one has an electric car.

Motorway services are usually busy and if every single one of those cars needed a charge whilst the driver/passengers had a comfort break just imagine the number of charging points required to avoid a queue. It simply no feasible to imagine that number of points.

In my experience as an actual electric car user, motorway service charging bays are a long way from 'usually' busy. I've never seen them full, I've never waited for one, I've never seen anyone else queuing for one. Every car park space in a motorway service station can have a charging point in the future. It is nothing like unfeasible. They will be installed by private companies who will charge for their use, just like existing points.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Engineer Andy

In my experience as an actual electric car user, motorway service charging bays are a long way from 'usually' busy. I've never seen them full, I've never waited for one, I've never seen anyone else queuing for one. Every car park space in a motorway service station can have a charging point in the future. It is nothing like unfeasible. They will be installed by private companies who will charge for their use, just like existing points.

You do realise that electric cars ONLY NOW make up 1% or so of all car sales, NOT the total number on the road. Imagine the cost and disruption cause by installing the infrastructure to deal with 30% or 50% or higher in just a few years. These points aren't cheap, especially the 'rapid' (still far slower than filling up with fuel) chargers.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Snakey

I'm not against electric cars - maybe it comes across that way, I just don't see much in the way of progress in the infrastructure - the cars themselves are getting better very quickly.

I am emailed regularly by several companies with whom I am registered, listing dozens of newly installed charging points around the country. It is happening, I can see it because I'm looking for it.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Leif

I am emailed regularly by several companies with whom I am registered, listing dozens of newly installed charging points around the country. It is happening, I can see it because I'm looking for it.

Yes, but think about queues at petrol stations. Then realise that electric cars will take 15-30 minutes to recharge, and that tells you that they will need a huge number of charge points if electric cars become popular. Then take into account that we don’t have anything like the generating capacity for most people to have an EV, and you’lll see it’s impractical. And electricity has no duty. Throw in fuel duty or an equivalent and electric becomes very expensive.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - TheGentlemanThug

Whilst an electric car very nearly suits my circumstances, the problem is that they're so damn expensive. Second-hand is all well and good but what sort of condition will the batteries be in and how much will they cost to replace?

Whilst I'm fortunate to have access to a garage (even then it barely fits my car) with an electrical outlet, millions of people don't. How are they supposed to charge their cars? My parents live in a house where there's a large expanse of council-owned land between their front garden and their car, so how is that going to work? Will they get a charging point by the roadside that people can vandalise or "accidentally" trip over? Terrific...

I'll be six feet under before petrol and diesel cars are banned, and I'm only 34.

My second hand Leaf is in perfect battery health, and so far as I know Nissan have not had to replace any battery packs on any cars, and they've been on sale since 2011. Compare that to failed engines and gearboxes in ICE cars. Ecoboost, anyone? DSG?

Look, they're cars, with components, which may fail. This is true of all cars, however electric cars have fewer moving parts are proving, in the real world, much more reliable than ICE cars. So there's a risk of a failed battery pack on a second hand car. The risk in minimal, and is far smaller than the risk you take buying a second hand ICE car.

Speed of charging and charging infrastructure are the big drawbacks, and these are being addressed in the time between now and any future ban on ICE cars being sold.

Folks, you may not like it, but they will be suitable for just about everyone very, very soon, and some people might have to make minor adjustments to their motoring habits. This is absolutely no big deal in the great scheme of things. 12 years to prevent climate catastrophe, right? Can we just carry on burning oil for ever? No.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - sx200n

Alanovich,

We do indeed have time. I work in Cambridge as a Computer Scientist and the advances in techonology that are not only currently available to Joe pulbic - but those being worked on - just in and around Cambridge are astounding. In 50 years time there won't even be surgeons in hospitals as CMR in Cambridge has already built a robot arm that is more reliant and accurate than someones shaky hand in terms of performing an operation.

In 50 years time electric cars will (or should) be equivalents to todays petrol and diesel cars.

When that is a reality I will be more than happy to have one - just as long as it is cost effective.

The current problem is the same as I posted about Public transport. How can I start taking public transport everyday when it will cost me twice as much money? Currently electric cars are too expensive, and the ability to charge them as easily and as frequently as a petrol car just doesn't exist. I don't even have a drive way or Garage at my home, so how could I charge one?

Seriously, we need electric public transport that is cheap for the commuter. Then you will have hundreds of thousands of people that will happily take public transport to work, saving them money and saving CO2 emissions as there will be lots less cars on the road.

That for me is a far more worthwhile goal, than forcing people to have electric only cars (that they might not want).

Yes, I see your point about public transport. That would be great (bring back the trolleybus?), but I see the future as being a mix. I can't see people giving up personal transport en masse even if public transport becomes better/cheaper. Convenience is the winning factor in most people's decision to drive. Door to door, whenever we want.

You say electric cars are too expensive. Only a consideration if you buy brand new. I could say ICE cars are too expensive, as I can't afford a new one to the size and spec which I need. So I just buy second hand. I expect I'll continue to do so. My second hand Leaf cost £10k. My next electric car probably the same, and it'll probably have a better range and charging speed.

Alanovich,

It is the same with any form of manufacturing. The more you make of them, they cheaper they are to sell on.

When we get to the point that the manufacture a lot of electric cars, the sell on prices will fall.

I too only buy second hand, so agree totally.

I am all for electric vehicles providing I can get the same performance and convenience from one and at the same price.

But manufacturers will be able to do this before too long I am sure.

For me, commuting into Cambridge everyday is an ideal trip for an electric car.

Seriously, we need electric public transport that is cheap for the commuter. Then you will have hundreds of thousands of people that will happily take public transport to work, ..

That utopian idea will need a complete rethink of present public transport. Most urban transport systems that I can think of were (and are) designed for traffic into centres and out again. Many commuters travel from out-of-town places to other out-of-town places.

Trains were supplanted by trams, then buses, and finally private cars, as people disliked having to walk very far, and probably wait for some time, quite likely getting wet. Public transport is a lovely idea, especially for other people. :-)

Electric cars for me cannot be a universal (you can only own electric) choice until they do everything we ask of a petrol or diesel car, and we can charge / refill them as often and as frequently.

In a 25 mile radius from where I live in race horse world (Newmarket) we have just a single place with charging points (Sainsburys in Ely) and as other have commented, they are near the front of the shop so the ignorant lazy people with petrol or diesel cars use them for convenience.

Also, tesla aside, they would need to perform just as much as any petrol or diesel variants can.

If you can start getting electric cars to run at 400 - 500 Bhp (as there is a whole economic market of supercars at risk - ferrari, McLaren, etc) and perform the same, then we may be getting somewhere. But if you can't get them to, then people must still be allowed to buy uneconomical sports cars.

Personally I hate the idea that we may only have a single choice of vehicle power.

Money would be better spent developing electric forms of public transport. Unbelievably, if i used any form of public transport to commute 15 miles to work and back, as I currently do in my car, it costs me twice as much. Hence why I drive my car to work and pollute my CO2 emissions.

The Green people of this world need to push us to build public transport in an electric format so all forms of public transport is the cheapest way to travel.

Keep Petrol or diesel cars as options (as well as electric), but make public transport cheap and electric and that alone will reduce the emissions no end. And then everyone is happy.

Public transport in my opinion should be government controlled and it should not make money - if anything it should be prepared to lose money to ensure that they are the cheapest forms of transport to help cut the volumes of cars queuing to get to work in the mornings.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - nick62

Have a look of this video about Tesla, food for thought!

www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-10-17/what-engi...o

Note: I had to use Chrome as it wouldn't play on Firefox.

Edited by nick62 on 19/10/2018 at 16:00

In my experience as an actual electric car user, motorway service charging bays are a long way from 'usually' busy. I've never seen them full, I've never waited for one, I've never seen anyone else queuing for one

Simple answer to that as well, I see very few electric cars on the motorway. See the occational Tesla, have seen a Leaf but never seen a Zoe.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Ethan Edwards

Unless you spend telephone numbers electric cars are fairly useless as s means of going anywhere other than round the corner. Best wait a hundred years or so.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 19/10/2018 at 18:34

Phew! I thought when you referred to banning ICE bans that the idiots in Whitehall or Brussels were banning car stereos (In Car Entertainment). Perhaps decibel limits might be in order!

I'd love to know who's gonna pay for all the infrastructure around blocks of flats or roads full of terraced housing, which could run into £000ks. This will make the digging up of roads and pavements for laying cable TV and phone cables 20 years ago look like a small exercise!

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Ethan Edwards

So we ban the IC engine completely in 32 or whatever. Now on a completely unrelated point why are all the car manufacturers going out of business? Must be Brexit.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Bolt

So we ban the IC engine completely in 32 or whatever

Still have hybrids, but the biggest problem for government is making up for lost tax on diesel and petrol, the cost of electricity will skyrocket to make up the loss....

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - focussed

The opposite side of the coin here in north-west France - loads of charging points, even our tiny little commune of 1200 souls has one which will charge two cars in the free municipal parking area which pretty much all small towns have. But I have yet to see a car parked up and being charged there. Loads of charging points - but very few if any electric cars in my neck of the woods except for La Poste - the french post office which runs a few electric vans.

In france totally today there are 23,019 charging points at 10,060 sites.

The tax question is something that probably won't arise as there is no annual road tax for cars here - unless you are running something that creates massive CO2 like a V8 Ram pick-up or similar.

Edited by focussed on 19/10/2018 at 23:41

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Bromptonaut

So we ban the IC engine completely in 32 or whatever

Still have hybrids, but the biggest problem for government is making up for lost tax on diesel and petrol, the cost of electricity will skyrocket to make up the loss....

The current proposal is to ban NEW IC vehicles from 2040; those extant at that date could continue. A parliamentary committee has said that's too late and it should be 2032.

Neither proposition is law and even if there was chance of such legislation (there isn't) it could be repealed or amended later.

It's been pointed out somewhere that, in terms of generating capacity, mass use of electric vehicles would put need back where it was in 1990 - modern appliances use much less.

Fifteen years ago the pinnacle of electric cars was the G-Wiz. We now have Tesla, Leaf, Zoe etc. and all sorts of hybrids.

Where will technology be by 2030?

Super fast charging batteries without the need for large cables/chargers, better smaller more efficient motors, and by then solar and wind charging built into the car with longer range.

Tech is moving very quick now so it could all happen by then and more....

Super fast charging batteries without the need for large cables/chargers, better smaller more efficient motors, and by then solar and wind charging built into the car with longer range.

That may be so, but the need will still be there for large cables unless the cars use less power. To get X kilowatts out of a battery, you still have to put X (plus a bit) kilowatts in, and it will have to go down that cable in a short time. Can't be done - unless the cars use less power, or the cables are superconductors perhaps ? :-)

That may be so, but the need will still be there for large cables unless the cars use less power. To get X kilowatts out of a battery, you still have to put X (plus a bit) kilowatts in, and it will have to go down that cable in a short time. Can't be done - unless the cars use less power, or the cables are superconductors perhaps ? :-)

Never say never in tech, the need for heavy cables maybe reduced as electronics becomes lower powered and more powerful as they get miniaturised. will be interesting to see what happens over the coming years

It doesn't need politicians to set dates - when EVs are cheaper to buy/run and practical enough for all journey types then car buyers will switch automatically.

Until then we have many people trying to sell futures.

As I and others have said before in other threads discussing EVs etc, the problems will continue to be:

• Charging point infrastructure costs and secure siting of the points themselves, especially for people living in flats with remote (but not secure, almost exclusively open) car parks and road parking for the same and for people living in houses with no driveway - essentially the poor, elderly and younger people who have the least amount of disposable income to save up for secure EV charging points and the cables, if they are even capable of being installed given the lack of space and logistical/security issues surrounding on-road parking and charging.
  • Batteries - whilst battery tech HAS improved, it hasn't to the degree that it is considered even in the same ballpark as petrol or diesel in terms on energy density. The finite resource of lithium is increasingly being used up at a rapid rate due to the proliferation of tech using rechargable batteries, especially in mobile computing and phones, neither of which has solved the problem of heat dissapation when making computer circuitry smaller and the knock-on problems associated with Lithium batteries overheating. The price of Lithium could quite easily go through the roof (far more than oil) as EV usage increases. Recycling batteries to reclaim the most useful components and materials (especially the Lithium) is STILL VERY difficult and energy-intensive, and thus expensive.
  • Charging - even fast charging is still nowhere near as quick (per mile of usage gained) as petrol/diesel (by many multiples) and would lead to huge queues and delays a-la the 1970s oil crisis and the dire knock-on economic effects caused by people and goods (no-one has discussed what can be done about HGVs - Tesla's 'plan' for an EV truck is fanciful at best and has been trashed by experts the world over.
  • The Economic hole of fuel taxes. Where's all the revenue from fuel duty and VAT going to come from when EVs make up the majority of cars on the road? Whilst I accept this will eventually come, all our idiot leaders will do is just replace one regressive tax with another on electricity, affecting both vehicle owners and those who don't own one.
  • The vast majority of 'green' electricity generation tech is weather dependent and thus HAS to have either fossil fuelled (a finite resource) or nuclear (unloved) backup in case the wind doesn't blow/is too strong, it's night-time or the sea is calm. This can be overcome ONLY if governments all around the world co-operate to share (export-import) electricity produced in 'green' ways by over-producing and exporting it to neighbouring nations, but the problems of transmission losses STILL has to be resolved - one which we've been at it for 100 years with relatively little success, depsite superconductors being developed, as they still require very cold, controlled conditions not conducive with human existance and is horribly expensive.

I personally think that the politicians and their eco-activist friends are jumping the gun on this one, probably by a good few decades at least. Much better to encourage people to walk, cycle, use public transport and share vehicles where appropriate (especially where it encourages a more healthy lifestyle - something that could save us a HUGE amount of money in needless medical care) and to change housing/town planning policies etc to reduce our dependence on cars.

Better to introduce them more gradually rather than some arbitrary timetable based on the best-case scenario of scientists and eco-activists whose livelihoods depend on government grant money and who rarely turn up useful tech for the masses or in the timetable they promise.

They are at present no more than a luxury toy for people with plenty of money as they are expensive to run if you take into account the purchase price. And that’s with no fuel duty. The main problem beyond cost is lack of generating capacity. We already do not have enough for potential peaks, so we’d need to build far more power stations.

As for battery technology, it is advancing slowly, and batteries are already widely used so prices won’t come down much if at all. Lithium salt supply is another issue. Of course if energy density were to double, range would double, or costs halve and range significantly increase due to reduced weight.

This is what you get when you elect politicians with little technical knowledge. I bet most have degrees in English etc.

Edited by Leif on 20/10/2018 at 10:48

This is what you get when you elect politicians with little technical knowledge. I bet most have degrees in English etc.

...or Geography or PPE.

...or Geography or PPE.

We should be so lucky, more likely gender studies, media studies etc

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Avant

The big breakthrough in technology that we need is the ability to charge remotely EVs parked in the street. EVs are at their best advantage in towns and cities, where most people live in houses and flats wioth no driveway.

We're starting to get there with charge pads which can be laid in a road: but I can't see this as a widespread solution, as they will be expensive to install, and you can be sure that if you need to charge your EV, Arthur Punter will have parked his diesel Astra atop the pad.

But hopefully this will come - but I agree that if it does, we'll need a lot more power stations.

The big breakthrough in technology that we need is the ability to charge remotely EVs parked in the street. EVs are at their best advantage in towns and cities, where most people live in houses and flats wioth no driveway.

We're starting to get there with charge pads which can be laid in a road: but I can't see this as a widespread solution, as they will be expensive to install, and you can be sure that if you need to charge your EV, Arthur Punter will have parked his diesel Astra atop the pad.

But hopefully this will come - but I agree that if it does, we'll need a lot more power stations.

We will not necessarily require MORE power stations...in summer . Solar power + battery storage will work quite well for charging vehicles at night. And with Smart Meters, it's easy to charge much higher prices for High Drain fast charging in the daylight hours - probably with increased VAT charged on ALL High Drain home electrical installations..

Vanadium looks like it will replace lithium as the choice of the next generation of batteries for large scale battery installations..

Note I do not mention windpower which works 24 hours a day but is a lot more fickle.. but solar power in winter IS a problem . Anyone who says renewables can supply 100% of our future energy needs - in the UK- can be safely ignored. It cannot happen...physically impossible.in winter. (Unless you spend £1000Bs on storage over the summer)

Anyone who says renewables can supply 100% of our future energy needs - in the UK- can be safely ignored. It cannot happen...physically impossible.in winter. (Unless you spend £1000Bs on storage over the summer)

It could be done in Scotland - their climate, terrain and history gives opportunity for hydro and wind power although they may need to convert some hydro schemes to pumped storage - if you include nuclear as non-carbon power then it's probably close now.

Anyone who says renewables can supply 100% of our future energy needs - in the UK- can be safely ignored. It cannot happen...physically impossible.in winter. (Unless you spend £1000Bs on storage over the summer)

It could be done in Scotland - their climate, terrain and history gives opportunity for hydro and wind power although they may need to convert some hydro schemes to pumped storage - if you include nuclear as non-carbon power then it's probably close now.

Nuclear is going to be the only way to get the extra power we need, wind power on the south coast is with no wind - zero-, no good if you need power at certain times, solar as mentioned next to zero in winter unless the panels produce electric in cloudy conditions but will have to convert as much as in the sun, which isn't going to happen

As much as people are against nuclear, I think its the only way unless the scientists can replicate what happens on the sun to make power, so until EVs take off Hybrid is the way to go for a few years!

Nuclear is going to be the only way to get the extra power we need, wind power on the south coast is with no wind - zero-, no good if you need power at certain times, solar as mentioned next to zero in winter unless the panels produce electric in cloudy conditions but will have to convert as much as in the sun, which isn't going to happen

As much as people are against nuclear, I think its the only way unless the scientists can replicate what happens on the sun to make power, so until EVs take off Hybrid is the way to go for a few years!

Not necessarily. There are methods to store energy including batteries (worn out car batteries are suitable) and pumping water uphill.

Not necessarily. There are methods to store energy including batteries (worn out car batteries are suitable) and pumping water uphill.

Many parts of the UK are unsuitable for pumped water storage, few places to build a reservoir and already taken by drinking water reservoirs

<< Many parts of the UK are unsuitable for pumped water storage, few places to build a reservoir and already taken by drinking water reservoirs >>

Oh come on ... you pump the water where you can, and pipe the generated leccy to where you want to use it. Scotland and Snowdonia have been doing it for decades.

<< Many parts of the UK are unsuitable for pumped water storage, few places to build a reservoir and already taken by drinking water reservoirs >>

Oh come on ... you pump the water where you can, and pipe the generated leccy to where you want to use it. Scotland and Snowdonia have been doing it for decades.

Snowdonia and Scotland can't supply the whole of the UK - if they could, English coal-fired stations would have closed decades ago.

<< Snowdonia and Scotland can't supply the whole of the UK - if they could, English coal-fired stations would have closed decades ago. >>

Exactly - but it doesn't alter my point.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Terry W

A closed mindset denies likely outcomes because they wont work today.

The average car does about 10000 miles per annum at about 50 mpg. 200 gallons at £6 per gallon = £1200 per annum. Take out duty and VAT gives a net cost of £3-400 pa. Normal domestic supply is around £900 - 1500. Over 10-20 years there will be a generation increase but keep a sense of proportion where smarter appliances and improved insulation can soak up some of the deficit.

It is likely battery technology will increase range and speed of charge. Precise timing and extent are a guess right now, but we are looking forward 15-20 years - has anyone got an accurate crystal ball?

IMany young people, particularly town or city based, do not aspire to drive - cost, parking etc. My nephew who would be entirely able to buy a premium car subscribes to an online service which provides a range of quality vehicles depending on need. Living in central it just makes no sense.

I am also convinced government has sufficient levers to recover any lost tax. Income tax, dual electricity meters, car tax, pollution zones in cities, etc. Fuel duties amount to 4% of total government income - hardly a show stopper.

And finally the charging point issue. We may find that having arrived at our destination, the car simply uses driverless technologies to find the nearest empty point, and returns when summoned by an app,

A closed mindset denies likely outcomes because they wont work today.

The average car does about 10000 miles per annum at about 50 mpg. 200 gallons at £6 per gallon = £1200 per annum. Take out duty and VAT gives a net cost of £3-400 pa. Normal domestic supply is around £900 - 1500. Over 10-20 years there will be a generation increase but keep a sense of proportion where smarter appliances and improved insulation can soak up some of the deficit.

It is likely battery technology will increase range and speed of charge. Precise timing and extent are a guess right now, but we are looking forward 15-20 years - has anyone got an accurate crystal ball?

IMany young people, particularly town or city based, do not aspire to drive - cost, parking etc. My nephew who would be entirely able to buy a premium car subscribes to an online service which provides a range of quality vehicles depending on need. Living in central it just makes no sense.

I am also convinced government has sufficient levers to recover any lost tax. Income tax, dual electricity meters, car tax, pollution zones in cities, etc. Fuel duties amount to 4% of total government income - hardly a show stopper.

And finally the charging point issue. We may find that having arrived at our destination, the car simply uses driverless technologies to find the nearest empty point, and returns when summoned by an app,

The future WILL happen - but not just yet.

To complete your equation, you should balance the costs of transporting fuel to every petrol station against the cost of generating power only at central points and distributing it by overhead cable, with its (fairly small) losses, plus the losses by heat in cabling to thousands of charging points.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Smileyman

I considered an electric car when I changed cars last year, my daily commute is 80 miles with no option for charging at the office. Then I remembers an upcoming visit to London to see parents, 75 miles each way, no charging point. I quickly realised that the present set-up with electric does not work for me. Probably the best solution would be for removable battery packs that could be swapped in and out within 5 minutes - a bit like the old days when horses would be changed every so many miles.

I considered an electric car when I changed cars last year, my daily commute is 80 miles with no option for charging at the office. Then I remembers an upcoming visit to London to see parents, 75 miles each way, no charging point. I quickly realised that the present set-up with electric does not work for me. Probably the best solution would be for removable battery packs that could be swapped in and out within 5 minutes - a bit like the old days when horses would be changed every so many miles.

It has been tried: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place_(company) I guess it might work, who knows.

Probably the best solution would be for removable battery packs that could be swapped in and out within 5 minutes - a bit like the old days when horses would be changed every so many miles.

Even with miraculous new battery technology, which we are assured is not far away, those batteries will be pretty bulky articles. Standard car batteries are awkward enough to lug around for the average home owner. Maybe we each need two cars, one on standby ... :-)

Normal domestic supply is around £900 - 1500.

Surely that cannot be correct.

Ges heating and hob at both properties, remainder electric.

At our old 3 bed semi we used approx 2400 kwh of electric a year. At our current tarrif of 13 pence a Kwh plus 25 p/day standing charge that would be approx £400.

In our current 4 bed detached we use approx 3000 kwh of electricity. Using the above rates that is £480 a year.

Adding in our gas consumption of approx 14500 kwh at 3 pence + 20 pence standing charge (total £500) we only just nudge into the range above.

I suspect the £900 -£1500 is for gas and electric.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Big John

I suspect the £900 -£1500 is for gas and electric.

Agreed - We spend about £950 a year for gas and electricity combined (good tarrifs - not standard variable) - small house but kept nice and warm in winter.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Sofa Spud

Maybe we each need two cars, one on standby ... :-)

That's nothing new! What else would explain the phenomenon of multiple Land Rover ownership?

Edited by Sofa Spud on 21/10/2018 at 12:45

Battery packs weigh 300 to 600kgs..And are all different sizes.

Will not work .

Battery packs weigh 300 to 600kgs..And are all different sizes.

Will not work .

It does work. See the link I gave. Obviously it requires a specialised device to do the battery swap. And a conformant battery.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Big John

France is way ahead of us (also mentioned further up the thread). When driving France through last month I noticed that charging points seem to have sprouted everywhere including very small towns.

In the UK it's rather hit and miss and parking of non electric cars in electric bays does not seem to be policed. Also there seem to be many cable types/standards and different ways of paying. Surely there needs to be a bit of joined up thinking headed by the government - however they are just busy trying to save money by removing any financial incentives. (The same as happened with LPG a few years ago)

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - Vitesse6

There is nothing that concentrates the minds of Industry more than the threat of their current products being outlawed. I remember reading many years ago that the only way to move us away from a fossil carbon economy was to set a timescale when the burning of fossil fuels would be outlawed.

Banning new internal combustion engines from say 2040 or as suggested 2032 will force industry to invest in the research needed to make it happen. Let's not be scared by it, modern cars are full of new technology that 30 years ago would have been considered pie in the sky science fiction that belonged on the starship Enterprise.

The Aluminium battery already promises a range of about 1200 miles with a lower weight than lithium ion. They are not rechargeable in the car, but could easily be swapped at a service centre. They can then be remanufactured. The economies of scale will then kick in together with a standardisation of the battery so one size will fit all.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - dadbif
How will people who live in terraced houses charge their cars? Will they be guaranteed a parking space outside their home??
Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - focussed

The elephant in the room for the UK is not batteries or charge points - it's where is all this electricity is going to come from? No recent UK government has taken this subject seriously - their current (sorry) answer seems to be to stick windmills up everywhere to placate the ecoloons.

It's renewables that will provide all this extra electrical power according to Gove and co.

It's not practical - they won't provide anything like the energy density to run the UK.

Read all about it here - it's long, it's got a lot of maths in it, with explanations, and it makes sense.

"Sustainable Energy Without the Hot Air" a free book by the late Professor David McKay

www.withouthotair.com/cft.pdf

The elephant in the room for the UK is not batteries or charge points - it's where is all this electricity is going to come from? No recent UK government has taken this subject seriously - their current (sorry) answer seems to be to stick windmills up everywhere to placate the ecoloons.

It's renewables that will provide all this extra electrical power according to Gove and co.

It's not practical - they won't provide anything like the energy density to run the UK.

Read all about it here - it's long, it's got a lot of maths in it, with explanations, and it makes sense.

"Sustainable Energy Without the Hot Air" a free book by the late Professor David McKay

www.withouthotair.com/cft.pdf

The politicians don't seem to have grasped the fact that domestic gas boilers will need to be replaced by electric ones as they produce more NOx than cars! That will place in intolerable burden on the National Grid.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - davecooper

Whew! Thought they wanted to ban In Car Entertainment for a moment:-)

The politicians don't seem to have grasped the fact that domestic gas boilers will need to be replaced by electric ones as they produce more NOx than cars! That will place in intolerable burden on the National Grid.

Can you give us a reference for that assertion?

Bearing in mind NoX breaks down in air/sunlight what are the actual sources of NoX measured at street level?

Whatever the answers NoX is a localised issue. If removing/reducing car/truck use in the affected areas gets it back down to an acceptable level should we worry about boilers?

As anybody who's worked in an organisation that has undergone major change will confirm the first reaction is always to say it's impossible/won't work/will cost more than it savers etc.

Sometimes the naysayers are right; maybe they've seen it before and ask 'Why Will It Be Different This Time'. In many other instances they're proven wrong.

Can you give us a reference for that assertion?

Bearing in mind NoX breaks down in air/sunlight what are the actual sources of NoX measured at street level?

Whatever the answers NoX is a localised issue. If removing/reducing car/truck use in the affected areas gets it back down to an acceptable level should we worry about boilers?

As anybody who's worked in an organisation that has undergone major change will confirm the first reaction is always to say it's impossible/won't work/will cost more than it savers etc.

Sometimes the naysayers are right; maybe they've seen it before and ask 'Why Will It Be Different This Time'. In many other instances they're proven wrong.

It was a recent study done in London which analysed the source of NOx across the whole spectrum - I no longer have the link.

I've no issue with measures to clean cities up - I never drive in one - but I do have issues with the "one-size fits all" measures for those drivers in the countryside, where NOx degrades naturally into Nitrogen and Oxygen, two necessary elements.

We should be tackling domestic gas boilers and goods vehicles as well as cars, not just hitting car drivers.

Study quoted here.. see Pi chart

policyexchange.org.uk/why-london-needs-a-boiler-sc.../

Interesting idea that the chart has some connection with Pi (3.14159....) while it's much simpler - it just looks like a circular pie ... sorry .. :-)

policyexchange.org.uk/why-london-needs-a-boiler-sc.../

Pie chart is for whole of GLA area so not sure how representative it is of worst affected areas, those that hit their annual limit before end of January. Let's assume it is though, domestic gas is 13%, just over a quarter of emissions from road transport.

As Euro 6 diesels are an improvement on previous versions there is also ultra low nox boilers mandated by recent EU regs. If gas heating is a major factor in unacceptable NOX (say) the M1 Tinsley/Meadowhall corridor then perhaps a boiler scrappage scheme is needed.

What is not acceptable is to say oh, look what about boilers, presume electric is (a) only option and (b) impossible so therefore we do nothing.

As with the government's car scrappage scheme a few years ago, having one for 'any' boiler would be essentially worthless - a neighbour of mine got their (at the time) 5 year old boiler replaced by a newer, less polluting one using a government grant for the elderly. There was nothing wrong with their boiler and cost over £2.5k to buy and fit, all to save about £75pa on their bill and a relatively small amount on emissions - which didn't take into account all the carbon produced by the new one's manufacturing process (including procuring all the raw materials) and all the way through to and including installation.

I think that any 'scrappage' scheme should only cover vehicles, boilers, whatever, that are at the end of their useful and economic life that are significant polluters compared to modern equivalents. A domestic boiler should last between 15 years (combi boilers from the less reliable makes) to 30 years ('conventional' heat only and system boilers, including some combis and older non-condensing [simple but robust] boilers).

What we SHOULD be encouraging is for boilers and road vehicles to be well-maintained so that they are running at peak efficiency (and thus emitting the lowest amount of pollutants) for as long as is economically possible. This will obviously vary from one to another, but a good incentive would be to scrap VAT on the maintenance (and parts) of such items, especially heating systems and other home plumbing, sanitary and electrical equipment which is vital to living - a necessity, not a luxury.

As with cars, just arbitrarily having a date so no more fossil-fuelled ones are produced is daft - much of the science around the alternatives is still very new or undeveloped, especially as regards use of REAL low-carbon alternatives that don't require the use of fossil-fuelled power stations for backup, assuming Nuclear is not embraced.

Electric heating isn't always a cheap option as it can sometimes require the upgrading of the supply to a home, if that's even possible - many blocks of flats just don't have the local infrastructure to cope with the increase in demand, so either have to stick with fossil fuels for a good while to come and save up over a 25+ year period, or risk mutiny in demanding residents (or councils) stump up huge sums to upgrade whole blocks and the mains, possibly including nearby sub-stations (which alone could cost £000Ks or even £Ms). Tricky - no easy answers, similar to EV charging and batteries.

Reducing the need for car journeys (multiple policy areas, not just 'having more'better public transport' would be required), similarly for boilers and other HVAC equipment used in homes and other buildings. I know from 20 years of experience working in the latter that it isn't a simple answer, although ideas like having a national programme of getting existing homes/buildings far better insulated (where possible) and energy efficient (all those huge expanses of roof on commercial buildings that could take PV panels going to waste) are a good way to start - you use less energy because you don't need it and you produce you own in some way.

Any - Any-ICE Ban in 2032 - corax

We should be tackling domestic gas boilers and goods vehicles as well as cars, not just hitting car drivers.

I find it incredible that the Government is pushing for ever lower emissions on cars (which I agree with and should be done) but subsidises jet fuel and expands airports so that millions can go on their cheap holidays abroad at the expense of the atmosphere. It may be unpopular, but if you're serious about emissions, all avenues should be looked at, not just road transport.

I agree with Bromptonaut - I wonder how advanced we could be but for naysayers, they will be our undoing.

I agree that we need a general approach and not just limited to one or two sectors of the polluters, but I do think we need a healthy does of realism/pragmatism as well as optimism about all this - as regards aeroplanes and ships, both these are heavy polluters, but if we unilaterally 'cracked down' on them, it would put the UK at a serious economic disadvantage compared to other nations, especially when many of them boast about many of their 'green credentials' but in such areas do absolutely nothing, or in the case of the Germans, major car manufacturers cheat the system on a global scale.

We need to achieve as many 'easy wins' first of the bat, then decide how best to tackle the more tricky areas, that will likely require serious amounts of international co-operation, especially from the US, China, India and from other devloping nations who are least able to afford to replace fleets of planes, ships, power stations, etc or changover in a short time to renewables without richer nations paying for it or strongarming nations without it leading to trade wars or worse.

Wasting energy by human laziness is a good start. Walk or ride if possible, car share. Only leave things on when you use them, etc. Walk to the town centre to get your lunch (or better still, make it yourself) rather than use the car. It might also keep you in good health for longer too, and save you money.