Vauxhall astra 1.9 - Astra electric issues - Lukeastra

Hi,

My astra has developed a strange fault in which upon turning the key ignition 2 clicks the dash lights don't come on no fuel pump noise or anything no ignition whatsoever. Radio, horn and front lights don't work, rear lights work and so does the electronic boot unlock button and interior lights. Car does not start no crank nothing. From what I can tell the front fuse box isn't powering anything but the rear fuse box is (boot, inside lights etc).

Does the front fuse box go through the ecu first and then power the components up?

12v is at starter but there is no ignition to activate the starter motor.

Where would I find the main earth straps to check they are ok?

I connected a lead from engine block to chassis but nothing, I also found wiring a multimeter to chassis and to positive terminal on battery gave 12v should the chassis return 12v?? Earth issue?

I've checked all fuses they are ok. Including the 80amp strip fuse and the larger fuses above the fusebox.

Could it be no power going to fusebox? Where does the fusebox get it's power? From ecu?

Thanks

Edited by Lukeastra on 08/10/2018 at 22:42

Vauxhall astra 1.9 - Astra electric issues - elekie&a/c doctor
I guess this is a 1.9 diesel,but what age is this car?

Sorry yes diesel 1.9, 2008 model. I also forgot to add I found that all 4 glow plug connectors were off the glow plugs themselves could this have broken an earth somewhere each time I tried to crank the engine. Car was cranking before this electronic fault occured and seemed to get worse cranking on 5th 6th try but now no front lights no horn no dials no ignition no start nothing. If this was a ECU fault wouldnt the front lights still work even without ignition? As rrsr lights are working.

Firstly,are you sure the battery is up to strength? Modern cars with a can bus network can do all sorts of weird things if the battery voltage is too low. The glow plug connectors will have no effect on cranking. The crank circuit runs through the engine ecu on these, but any problem here should not stop other circuits working.

I bought a new battery to be doubly sure and I'm getting same result no lights no start. Only light that appears on dash is the door open alert symbol but this goes out after a few minutes even with door still open. If this is an ECU fault shouldn't the front lights still work just like the rear ones? I'm thinking it must be a power issue at the front of the car, a bad earth or no power to fusebox. Could a faulty ignition switch break the 12v to fusebox?

It is possible you have lost power to the ignition switch. remove steering column plastic covers and check for voltage at the red wire at the ignition switch. Use a test light ,not a multi -meter.

Vauxhall astra 1.9 - Astra electric issues - nico77

'I also forgot to add I found that all 4 glow plug connectors were off the glow plugs themselves could this have broken an earth somewhere each time I tried to crank the engine'

Could the connectors from the glow plugs have shorted out on the engine somewhere and blown a fuse or burnt out some wiring?

Vauxhall astra 1.9 - Astra electric issues - Astraluke18

I'm having the same issue with my astra h. The car has a new battery has power in the car. The rear lights work. On the instrument clock it shows my milage and that the door lights open but nothing else. I've got a power probe and on the red wire under the steering column I've forced a live through it and the key on the second turn lights up. Where do I look now where is the fuse to check if its blown.