Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - Cumberbatchfan

Hi all

I'm following on from my last post on behalf of my friend.

On Friday she test drove the Honda CRV and had a look at the Toyota RAV4. She decided the Rav4 is not big enough compared to the Honda. She test drove the Honda CRV and liked it then yesterday she test drove the Skoda Kodiaq and her husband suggested the Hyundai Santa Fe. So she drove that as well yesterday.

Compared to the CRV she preferred the Kodiaq and Santa Fe and she said both are big enough and tick most of her boxes but she's stuck between these two.

The Skoda has the bonus that you can get a petrol engine and it's the biggest in space but the santa fe is still bi enough and it's the most comfty and quite. She knows that the santa fe is only diesel but she's happy to compromise on this as she really like the Santa Fe as well as the Skoda Kodiaq.

I want to know if these were the only two cars on sale which would you choose?

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - badbusdriver

TBH, as someone who is not really into SUV's, i wouldn't choose either. But, if i was forced, based on the fact that i'd be getting an auto, it would be the Hyundai as i don't trust the DSG. As a manual, it's a bit trickier as going petrol would probably be the more sensible choice unless the mileage and/or useage (towing a caravan for example) suggested diesel. I'm not really sold on the looks of either with the Skoda appearing rather bland apart from the nose treatment and the Hyundai looking like the designer was trying a bit too hard to appeal to US taste's. The Skoda, as a petrol is going to be a chunk lighter in weight than the Hyundai, so is probably going to be more enjoyable to punt down a twisty road than the Hyundai, not that that would be a requirement for a vehicle like this, but maybe of interest. But ultimately, i'd have to drive them before making a decision.

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - RT

The Hyundai Santa Fe, and its sibling Kia Sorento, both have a proper torque converter automatic rather than a DCT/DSG and like badbusdriver, that would swing my vote along with the longer warranty.

From a personal point of view, the VW Group brands are treating their customers abysmally over the dieselgate issue - when they issue a fix you can't find out exactly what it does and no compensation like the Americans. That may not appear relevant to the OP as they prefer petrol, but the harm in residual values is clear to see.

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - skidpan

Since the OP said on the other thread "She will be driving manual" the comments regarding auto boxes are abit irrelevant.

What I am going to say may upset some but this all seems a bit pointless since the car is for the OP's friend who for some reason does not appear to want to ask her own questions. Not enough time seems a poor excuse if they have enough time to go out testing 3 cars in a single day.

Someone who earns £90k a year and wants to spend £40k on a car surely should have enough of an opinion to go out and look, test and decide without this 3rd party messaging.

Get her to use her brain. By all means ask questions but all this is just a repeat of the other threads. How long can it go on?

Since the OP said on the other thread "She will be driving manual" the comments regarding auto boxes are abit irrelevant

My bad - I wasn't aware of other threads

RT- I don't know what abysmally means but I'm thinking it means there not very nice to there customers.

I know that will bother my friend if they are not very nice to there customers and might very well be what helps her decide.

I'm not going to go through all this again SkidPan as firstly she tested them over two day not a single day and saying she should use her brain is just rude and I can see why not many woman want to come on here including my friend part of the reason was because she hasn't the time but part was she had seen my posts in my own thread and saw how I got treated by some which put her off and I don't blame her as all your doing is putting people off coming here and to be honest I'm now being out of this forum which I think is unfair to those who have helped on here. And it's not a waste of time as she has got it down to two cars and she can't pick as she can't find any cons with either model.

And those who have spoken about auto have not wasted there time either and there replys are rlevrele as there saying which one they would go for and as Skoda use DSG autos that's why they would pick the Hyundai.

I will be ignoring your replys if they continue to be rude and uncalled for.

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - KB.

On one of the other threads created by the OP I admit to ambivalence part way through ... on one hand the uncertainty and ongoing chopping and changing caused me to despair of a resolution ever occurring and made me wonder if it was in fact a bedtime story. But I relented and decided it wasn't.

Skidpan knows that he and I aren't bosom buddies but in this most recent discourse I'm with him. For me the point where reality diminishes and fiction kicks in is upon us.

I'll come off the fence and say I think this is a wind up.

I did suggest, at the outset, that the third party ought to make their own representations among the membership and wasn't entirely convinced about the reasons for that not to take place .... now there's a third topic been created and people are, again, giving of their all in offering well meaning advice.

I simply don't believe it any more.

And, incidentally, Google would have readily advised the meaning of the word "abysmal".

I don't know what abysmally means

You earn 90k a year and don't know what abysmally means? Surely you have a dictionary in the house or don't you know what one of those is.

This just gets better.

Edited by skidpan on 07/10/2018 at 18:24

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - SteveLee

It beats me why anyone would buy a brass washer from a lying cheating company like VAG - buy the Hyundai.

Shows you don't read my posts as I don't earn 90k my friend does.

And I'm not going to put up with people talking to me this way, yes maybe I shouldn't have bothered asking on my friends behalf but she didn't want to be bullied or spoken to the way I have on here.

I find both of you disgusting people who say it's a wind up and imply I'm stupid and have had enough of this forum and I think it's a shame to the forum that people leave because you start bullying and hanging up on people I wish there more more people like Avant on here who actually help you not get nasty as let's face it your the type who clearly like to troll people online.

I shall not be responding anymore or coming on this forum anymore as I have never been insulted or spoken to in this manner on a forum before and I'm a member on two other forums ( non motoring forum) and have made a lot of friends from those forums and if anyone spoke the way you both have to another member you would get banned.

Thank you Stevelee , I have only just seen your reply and it will be the last I see , thanks for your advice , but I wish id never bothered now I only made a new post as i wanted to focus on those two models and the point of this thread was to ask which car people on here would pick if they were the only two models you could buy as she was stuck and just could not decide between the two.

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - SteveLee

You don't have to justify yourself your friend, jeez - no wonder 70's throwback Corbyn is doing so well these days - since when was earning a half-decent salary a crime? Ignore the green-eyed idiots - you'll still get plenty of good advice on here - good luck with your car search.

I don't know what abysmally means

You earn 90k a year and don't know what abysmally means? Surely you have a dictionary in the house or don't you know what one of those is.

This just gets better.

Wow skidpan, you really know how to treat new folk to the forum. You really should be in public relations.

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - SLO76
If you don’t like the question being asked or feel that you can’t help then surely it’s best not to answer at all? I haven’t driven either of the new models here and wouldn’t personally spend the £30k or so required to buy one new. Depreciation will be very heavy compared to a good approved used CRV or RAV4 but if absolutely pushed I’d take the big Skoda with a manual box and petrol engine. It’s the newer model and likely to drop more slowly and be more enjoyable to drive but it’s very colour dependent. Dull dark colours make it look pretty bland.

"If you don’t like the question being asked or feel that you can’t help then surely it’s best not to answer at all?"

Yes, well that would be the sensible thing to do!.

For the record skidpan, i believe it was the OP's friend who earned £90k per annum, though that in itself does not mean anything. I remember speaking to a customer once and when i mentioned the word tardy, i had to explain what it meant. Fortunately, not being you, i didn't suggest he went and looked in a dictionary, otherwise it would surely have been an ex-customer. And the chap in question had his own company with a fleet of trucks delivering heating oil.

There is no excuse for being that rude, and i think you should apologise. Though it seems clear from the OP's most recent post that she probably won't be back, not that i can blame her.

Edited by badbusdriver on 07/10/2018 at 19:39

RT- I don't know what abysmally means but I'm thinking it means there not very nice to there customers.

I know that will bother my friend if they are not very nice to there customers and might very well be what helps her decide.

I have a VW TDI 3.0 - at the time I bought it VW assured me it wasn't affected - it is affected and VW have recently made their fix available but won't tell owners what it actually does - unlike American VW owners we've not been offered any compensation for the huge depreciation since dieselgate.

VW and Skoda are different companies in the same group.

In the end though, it's dealers who make or break a customer relationship and they do vary.

RT- I found this as it might help if you did want to claim compensation as I found this that's says there is now a deadline www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5762489/V...l

I wasn't going to reply again but reading the members I respect giving me support I just could not , not reply as that's the sort of woman I am and wanted to thank those who have supported me.

And I agree with you as if I had read a post and thought like how SkidPan and KB felt I would not reply. My motto is " if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all"

The world is a better place when you just don't say anything than say nasty things.

I'm glad there are more respectful members on here and I will never understand while people do treat others like that and not just on here but in life it's such a shame as why can't we all just get along be respectful ( in life not just on here).

Im also not the type of person who calls someone else disgusting but when you have had this on two different threads I just felt provoked as I NEVER have spoke to someone like that I always try to keep the peace. I did feel bad after as that's not me but maybe they will see how it feels to have someone talk to you like that.

Badbusdriver - yes your correct my friend is the one who earns 90k I earn peanuts I'm on the natinnal living wage. But luckily I'm happy in my job so am happy with my wage.

RT- I found this as it might help if you did want to claim compensation as I found this that's says there is now a deadline www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-5762489/V...l

Thanks for that - the legal action is only for 4-cylinder engines up to 2.0 where the main issue was - the 3.0 V6 isn't included - I've already been in touch with Slater+Gordon who are bringing the class action.

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - Big John

Oh dear - this thread has gone rather astray.

However just commenting on the original post - I had a Kodiaq as a courtesy car and was rather took to it. On the outside it looks big but it was great to drive and I thought it was very comfortable. One great side effect was even though it doesn't feel that big it looks big on the outside - I had that feeling of other cars getting out of the way (no it wasn't my driving!!!).

I'd consider one myself but I'm supposed to be downsizing with my next car - we shall see!

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - Avant

Thank you for coming back, Cumberbatchfan: as Big John says, this thread has gone astray, quite needlessly, and once again because the rudeness of the same person.

I don't mean KB, who is normally very civilised and in this case has misjudged you and your friend: this is clearly not in the least a wind-up, and it's very good of you, despite your own problems, to lend a hand to your friend who with holding down a £90k job and looking after two small children and another on the way, has enough on her plate.

Good luck to both of you. Please believe me that the majority on here are normal human beings who realise that part of the point of a forum like this is to provide advice (even if from amateurs) to people who may be new to the world of motoring. We all from time to time need to buy things we don't know much about, and we have the right, if we ask for advice, not to be patronised, still less insulted.

Other forums are more ready to ban people than we are: we try to appeal to their better nature, and ever the optimist, I resolutely believe that everyone has a better nature.

this is clearly not in the least a wind-up, and it's very good of you, despite your own problems, to lend a hand to your friend who with holding down a £90k job and looking after two small children and another on the way, has enough on her plate.

Avant have you read one of the OP's previous threads, she says that he friend

is on maternity leave

thus she should have sufficient time to visit this site and ask her own questions.

Believe what you want but it looks very suspicious to me.

I have tried to be helpful in the other threads but this is simply going too far.

I honestly wonder how most people in the past managed to survive without being able to seek advice, just remembered, they had their own opinions.

I will go away at that.

this is clearly not in the least a wind-up, and it's very good of you, despite your own problems, to lend a hand to your friend who with holding down a £90k job and looking after two small children and another on the way, has enough on her plate.

Avant have you read one of the OP's previous threads, she says that he friend

is on maternity leave

thus she should have sufficient time to visit this site and ask her own questions.

Believe what you want but it looks very suspicious to me.

I have tried to be helpful in the other threads but this is simply going too far.

I honestly wonder how most people in the past managed to survive without being able to seek advice, just remembered, they had their own opinions.

I will go away at that.

You just don't know when to stop do you?. How much experience do you have in dealing with a new born baby?. This is obviously going to come as a surprise, but they can be very demanding and leave you utterly spent once you eventually get them off to sleep, if indeed you can. As well as the new one, i believe there are another two young 'uns to deal with, not to mention a very large dog which is going to need excersise. So i'd imagine the friend in question has considerably less time and energy to be dealing with this on maternity leave than had she been back at work.

Regarding being helpful, i seem to remember in the OP's original post for her own car, you contributed absolutely nothing, only jumping in near the end of the thread to tell the OP she didn't know what she wanted, how helpful do you feel that was?.

Myself and most others have no problem trying to actually help folk, even those who may be indecisive. I'm not really sure why this should bother you so much. It is my time to do with what i want. If you don't want to help, or have nothing useful to add to the thread, why not just ignore it?, instead of making insulting, sarcastic or accusatory comments.

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - Avant

Well said, BBD - spoken for the vast majority of us. With four children and six grandchildren, I too know what it's like!

I'm pretty sure that the Sorento has always had a torque-converter auto: this year's model has a new 8-speed auto box. There's a road test of the revised Sorento on this site under Reviews.

Well said, BBD - spoken for the vast majority of us. With four children and six grandchildren, I too know what it's like!

I'm pretty sure that the Sorento has always had a torque-converter auto: this year's model has a new 8-speed auto box. There's a road test of the revised Sorento on this site under Reviews.

You beat me to it Avant, yes the Sorento does indeed have a toque converter auto.

Ok so I can't see my posts so I asked the question about the Sorento again, no idea why I can't see my posts, the fact you both have awnsers the Sorento question means you must be able to see the post I asked that.

Edited by Cumberbatchfan on 08/10/2018 at 11:28

How much notice do you take to reliability surveys , such as the one below were Suzuki was in first place?

www.whatcar.com/news/most-and-least-reliable-car-b...3

I know this is nothing to do with this thread but it saves me having to write a new thread.

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - gordonbennet

Most reliability studies i've seen have backed up what i have seen with my own eyes, and experienced with my own usually older cars, for me they usually confirm my own thoughts.

The Japanese (those still Japanese) and Korean Brands at the top regarding reliability (and durability IME) is agreed with the usual suspects hanging around at the back, the middle field tends to juggle about a bit with the odd mid fielder scoring well and the other odd one scoring badly, but seldom do the highest and lowest makes swap places.

Do these surveys make any difference, well apparently not because the lowest two in the above survey especially one up from last place sells thousands of vehicles and for some unknown reason are rated and score highly in all motoring publications, including here, for buyers badge image is important to some people which is fine as its their money to spend on what they want.

It's quite amusing sometimes when the results of these reliability surveys are so at odds with the praise, or not, the same publication gives to the cars its tests.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/10/2018 at 12:45

Skoda Kodiaq Vs Hyundai Santa Fe? - Nomag

Refering back to my comments on our 2015 Sorrento in your previous post Cumberbatchfan, I believe the Hyundai is mechanically much the same and certainly uses the similar 2.2 R type diesel.

Having read around, the latest models now have SCR to comply with emissions regs, so presumably need topping up with Adblue. Ours is Euro 6 and doesn't have SCR.

Given the very high mileage your friend does, the Hyundai warranty would be better than the Kia for her I think- as it's 5 years and unlimited mileage, vs 7 years and 100k on the Kia. Obviously you really have to keep a main dealer service history to maintain the warranty, the Sorrento has 1 year/20k mile intervals.

I've driven the manual Sorrento and our Auto, I found the manual absolutely fine but can't help thinking an Auto just suits this vehicle a little better. By all accounts the 8 speed auto is much better than the 6 speed we have, which I find just fine anyway. Also with an Auto, you don't have the worry of a DMF to fail.