306 Side Airbag light - ShereKhan
Hi,

I've got a Peugeot (00)W 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet. The side airbag warning light seems to be lit every so often. It seems to only light up when the car is cold.

If you drive the car for a while then stop and then restart the car it seems to go out. But it seems to coming on more often in the last few days. I've only had the car for over a month, and its gone out of warranty. I didn't go for a warranty with the car as its only got 19k on the clock. So far the hood has managed to snap on the frame and now this. Having looked onto a warranty it seems to exclude these items anyway. Maybe they know that these are common faults.

Its my first car with airbags. What could be causing this light to come on? Is it dangerous to drive with this light on?

Any idea what it would cost to rectify this fault? Is it a new wiring loom? I don't intend on doing it myself. I was thinking of taking it into a Peugeot dealer.

So I want to prepare myself for the worst!
306 Side Airbag light - Robin the Technician
This is a standard problem caused by the plugs under the seats make poor contact. The official Peugeot cure is to have these plugs cut out of the harness and the wires soldered (colour to colour) together thus doing away with the plug, thus doing away with the fault. A good electrician can do this in about half an hour (as I did).
Hope this helps.

These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am....
Cheers

I'm fairly competent at doing some rewiring. However I want to make sure the airbag doesnt blow up in my face!

I went to the local Peugeot dealer to see what they were going to tell me. They want £32.51 to check the car with the diagnostic machine. Is this typical? is it too much? Or should I just cut the cables and do the job. I'd like to know if its the drivers side or the passengers side before I do anything really.

306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
If you are worried about the air bag, then disconnect the battery. I think you are wasting your money as this is a common problem which Peugeot have issued a technical bulletin. You can reposition the harness plugs under the seat and the problem will go away.....but it comes back!!! I never found which one was causing the problem on my car- in fact i think it was both of them. Coincidentally, my Nieces boyfriend has a 306 and phoned me yesterday with exactly the same problem. I moved the plugs under the seats and hey presto!! problem gone. I will get round to removing his plugs when time allows. It's a simple job, just make the harness like the plug was never there.

These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am....
How do I get hold of this technical bulletin that you are referring to? Is this something only available to Peuegot dealers or can I request this from Peugeot UK? Do you have a copy of this by any chance?
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
I've just contact Peugeot. They won't give out technical bulletin's to individuals only Peugeot dealerships :(
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
I decided to bite the bullet and go for a diagnostic check with the Peugeot garage (Elton Manchester).
Good thing I did - As the garage was really helpful.

The fault shown on the air bag control unit was

- Intermittent fault. Disarming of the passenger airbag

Apparently its the switch to disable the passenger airbag system is faulty.

Saved me having to remove the seats to sort out the wiring connetors underneath.

306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
Well, I hope it's ok. I gather that even with diagnostic equipment, the fault in the harness plus under the seats does cause spurious messages. Good luck- I hope it has fixed it. You are right that Peugueot won't give out technical bulletins- which i think is wrong. If there are inherant faults with cars, we- the public buying their goods, should have the right to know.
Still, I could harp on all night about that, especially as I used to compile/ write technical bulletins for a major motor manufacturer.

These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
306 Side Airbag light - M.M
ShereKhan,

Read this thread with interest. On the older 306s it does seem to be those under seat connections most of the time. On the newer ones with the pass' side airbag it has been the cut-out switch every time so far on the ones I've seen.

Hope that proves true in your case.

Actually Robin the... I'm amazed you think the Tech Bulletins should be available to the public. Airbags can cause serious injury if deployed in error. The DIYer should not be encouraged to fiddle with them.

MM
Thanks for the information. I wish I knew that yesterday morning before I paid the Peugeot garage for the priveledge :(
I could have just bought a new switch.

I initially thought that they should be available too. But then considered the liability implications. I myself am a Chartered Electrical Engineer. I thought about it and I think it would be irresponsible of Peugeot to release this information to the general public. However its should be made available to 3rd party garages with a disclaimer of some sort.

I would have only attempted a DIY job if I had enough information to understand the operation of the circuit involved. However in this case as no information was available I decided to let Peugeot diagnose the fault.

I've tried to diagnose faults on a old Fiat Uno a few years ago. I've learnt from replacing part after part.

306 2.0 SE Cabriolet