2.4 s auto - Volvo V70 - Opinions - Nobby Clark

Hi all.

I am currently looking for a reasonably priced, reliable daily.

On another thread I've mentioned a 2007 Avensis, but I've also seen a advert for a 2002 V70 2.4 Auto for £2495. It has covered 82k miles with a full service history, good MOT history and generally looks nice in the ad.

Can anyone recommend the V70 to be a reliable daily workhorse and if so, what are the common faults to look out for on these?

Thank you all for your help,

Nobby :)

Edited by Nobby Clark on 23/09/2018 at 16:57

2.4 s auto - Volvo V70 - Opinions - badbusdriver

Reliable?, yes, but it will be a good bit thirstier than the Avensis.

Thanks badbusdriver.

Fortunately I'm not worried about that as I only cover around 8k miles per year! :)

2.4 s auto - Volvo V70 - Opinions - SLO76
Comfy but greedy and apparently some autos had gearbox problems, though I’ve never personally had any issues with one. I’d sooner go with the Toyota which really has few vices. But condition is the big decider at this money so you can’t really go in fixated on one make or model. I’d add Honda Accord 2.0 auto and Mazda 6 2.0 auto to the list also, again both are very robust cars.
Comfy but greedy and apparently some autos had gearbox problems, though I’ve never personally had any issues with one. I’d sooner go with the Toyota which really has few vices. But condition is the big decider at this money so you can’t really go in fixated on one make or model. I’d add Honda Accord 2.0 auto and Mazda 6 2.0 auto to the list also, again both are very robust cars.

Cheers SLO.

I'd thought of a Accord and there is one for sale at a dealer near me which sounds perfect....2006 2L auto with only 30k miles for £4k, but I don't think the boot would be big enough!

Good shout on the 6 though.

2.4 s auto - Volvo V70 - Opinions - craig-pd130

The non-turbo 2.4 petrol auto will never set the world alight but will go on and on and on.

My sis had a 2001 S80 with the same engine & trans with 6-figure miles for nearly 10 years. Nothing ever went wrong apart from a rocker cover gasket weep onto the exhaust (a tenner for a new gasket). It just kept passing MoT after MoT without needing any work, and the odd pair of tyres.

The V70 will be the same as the S80 - a big, comfy, capable cruiser. But don't expect more than mid-20s mpg on average, maybe a bit more than 30mpg on a run.

2.4 s auto - Volvo V70 - Opinions - gordonbennet

First thing if you buy it is to have the rear discs off, the parking brake is of the drum inside disc variety on these, a good system which gives no trouble at all and used on good quality cars of many makes, same system on our Landcruiser Forester and Mercedes, except these Volvos have a habit of the parking brake shoe friction material parting company with their metal shoe, this can lead to the hub locking solid and you have a dickens of a job on your hands.

The job is simple enough to do (unless it locks), but take a tip if it needs new shoes buy new hold down spring clips as well as new shoes (the springs that go through the shoe plate holding it against the brake back plate), these 4 springs, one each shoe, go weak over time.

further reading

www.volvoforums.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-65897.h...l

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/09/2018 at 22:08

Thanks everyone for your help and comments! :)

2.4 s auto - Volvo V70 - Opinions - barney100

My V70 2.4d is a workhorse. 112,000k. In it's 4th year for me. Built very strongly, comfy on distances, swallows cargo and been excellent. Bulbs are a pain to change, would recommend one and it's pretty economical too.

2.4 s auto - Volvo V70 - Opinions - pd

V70 a good shout but if spending that money I'd look for a slightly later on - probably 2004 model year (can be spotted by smaller door mirrors) or 2005 (facelift lights etc.).

There were a lot of running improvements along the way, particularly to electricals.

The auto gearbox of that year can certainly go bad - usually play up when warm and start with flaring between 2 and 3 with lumpy downchanges.

They can also suffer from low oil pressure due to blocked oil strainer pick-ups and/or failed O-rings in the sump. Not uncommon and there is a specific kit from Volvo to fix this. Requires the sump removing. I've seen this on quite a few 2.4/2.3 turbo and non-turbo engines.

Thank you barney 100 and pd for your help and comments! :)

2.4 s auto - Volvo V70 - Opinions - nellyjak

I had the V70 for 4 years (2000 year model)...non turbo but fast enough for me....it was one of the very best cars I have EVER had...and trust me, I've had many over 50 years of driving and owning cars.

I thought it was reasonably economical for it's size tbh..it never put a foot wrong mechanically and had the auto box with the Winter button (and heated seats) which saw me through all the Winters without a moments hesitation....the Volvo got through when even some 4x4's didn't.!!

Of course I would want to claim superior driving skills (ahem)...it was a joy to own and drive.

...and I believe it is still going strong today.

I wouldn't hesitate tbh...and I say that as a committed Toyota fan these days.

Edited by nellyjak on 24/09/2018 at 20:14

Thanks nellyjak, that's a big help! :)

2.4 s auto - Volvo V70 - Opinions - Big John

Volvo V70 great but auto box can die if not maintained.Find a good one and get the gearbox oil/filter changed

Cool, thanks big John!