Toyota Avensis - MOT advisory - Nobby Clark

Hi all.

I'm looking for a reliable but cheap daily and after reading SLO's recommendation I've found a 2007 1.8 Avensis Auto hatch with 60k miles on the clock with full Toyota history for £3790.

I haven't viewed the car yet but it looks lovely!

Anyway, I've checked the MOT history which looks good apart from an advisory in 2016 which stated "underbody dry". This advisory hasn't cropped up in the 2 Mot's since. Does anyone know what that advisory means please?

Many thanks, Nobby! :)

Edited by Nobby Clark on 23/09/2018 at 12:04

Toyota Avensis - MOT advisory - Bromptonaut

Anyway, I've checked the MOT history which looks good apart from an advisory in 2016 which stated "underbody dry". This advisory hasn't cropped up in the 2 Mot's since. Does anyone know what that advisory means please

I had an advisory for 'wet test' on my old Berlingo. Questioned it and was told it meant underbody was wet with implication that oil leaks might be harder to detect. Perhaps this one conveys the opposite message?

Cheers Bromptonaut.

But what I don't understand is if the underneath is dry, is that a bad thing?

If it's not, why would the tester feel the need to mention it as an advisory?

Cheers all :)

Toyota Avensis - MOT advisory - pd

ignore it. Sometimes testers actually put positive things in the advisories as there is no where else to put them.

Most of the time they just feel the need to put something which is why you get idiotic ones like this.

Cool thanks pd :)

Actually why I think of it, other than the obvious checks you would look for on any car, is there anywhere/anything I should keep an eye out for that is a weak/common area on a Avensis?

Thanks again,

Nobby!

Toyota Avensis - MOT advisory - SLO76
Nothing to worry about, seems a comment than an advisory really. These are very robust cars but that’s very strong money for a previous gen car so expect near perfection.

Thanks SLO.

It does say in the description in the advert that it is immaculate, and I know its hard to judge in photos but the wheels look perfect with no kerbing, the interior looks immaculate, as well as the boot carpets etc!

Plus the MOT history is very good along with all Toyota history.

I'm fed up with paying finance on a car so and I may be a little weird but I actually prefer driving older cars over brand new cars! So I'm planning to sell my current car and clear the finance and come out of it with £2k in my pocket to go towards a new daily.

It's either this 2007 Avensis I've mentioned for £3790 or a 2002 Volvo V70 2.4 auto with 82k miles on the clock with full history, good MOT history and recent belt change for £2495.

I would plan on either one being a long term keeper, so which one would you all recommend over the other?

Cheers again all! :)

Toyota Avensis - MOT advisory - Andrew-T
Nothing to worry about, seems a comment than an advisory really. These are very robust cars but that’s very strong money for a previous gen car so expect near perfection.

You can't do more than be impressed by any advert. Decide when you have seen it for real, and maybe offer £3K. I once offered £2K for a car up at £2995 and was accepted.

Toyota Avensis - MOT advisory - Galaxy

"Underbody Dry"

It means that that the underbody isn't wet! :) :) :)

Love it Galaxy! :)

Wow Andrew - T, that was a bargain.

I'd never be that lucky!! :)

Toyota Avensis - MOT advisory - gordonbennet

The only issue with these is the electric parking brake, though it has to be said that Toyotas version seems to be living up to typical Toyota expectations, but they can go wrong and if they do it's an expensive game as it is with any EPB.

So make sure the thing works properly, both automatically, it should set itself and release itself promptly, but also check it works on the dash switch...which works backwards ie push for on pull for off.

On the test drive make sure the rear brakes don't get unusually hot, possibly indicating a dragging brake.

I'd have a good read up about these things on the appropriate Toyota owners forum and learn as much as you can about them before going to look.

It sounds expensive, but then good Toyotas with low mileage and history will always have buyers because they are very good reliable cars, and remember SLO is and was a car trader so he knows how to spot and buy a bargain, the rest of us need a good helping of luck or be ready to dash like hell when the right car comes up.

As for dry underbody, that sounds like a compliment to me, but do make sure those EPB's get serviced and lubed well.

Full Toyota history means all brakes should have been fully serviced every other year, which is not the case with most makes, sadly too many only get peered at and some brake cleaner squirted about.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/09/2018 at 14:29

Toyota Avensis - MOT advisory - catsdad
Re EPB my 2011 Avensis had one. It did not apply automatically (you need to apply it via anillogically placed switch) but it did release automatically.

As for "dry" its not a typo for "undertray" by any chance? MOTs often cite these as meaning the tester couldn't see or access parts of the underbody.

Thanks gordonbennet and catsdad.

Luckily the Avensis Im interested in has a regular handbrake! :)

Luckily the Avensis Im interested in has a regular handbrake! :)

Previous model then, and nothing wrong with that but it needs to be very very good for the price...how stupid of me, for some reason i saw 2009 not 2007 and assumed it was the later model, ignore my waffle about EPB's then.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/09/2018 at 15:09

Don't worry gordon as it was interesting waffle!! :)

I've just spoken with the dealer and apart from a tiny scratch on the bumper, he reckons its immaculate and in his opinion all the paintwork is original.

I'm going to see it on my day off on Wednesday and if its as good as he says, perhaps I'll offer £3k and see what he says. He can only say no...... Well, and get really annoyed! :)

Edited by Nobby Clark on 23/09/2018 at 15:54

“perhaps I'll offer £3k and see what he says. He can only say no...... Well, and get really annoyed! :)”

You don’t get if you don’t ask but few dealers will give £800 off even £15,000 worth of motor so don’t go in with overly ambitious expectations. That said he will have a strong margin in this having paid no more than £2k trade even if it’s perfect. Good cheap autos are hard to find so he’ll likely be quite happy to sit in it for the right buyer.
Toyota Avensis - MOT advisory - KJP 123

Price seems to be at top end for age. There seem to be slightly older but comparable mileage cars for £2,000 or so. And fewer than 6,000 miles per annum could mean a lot of short journeys which is not good for a car. I think I would look for something with more miles at max £1,500.

I know the dealer won't take 3k but you've got to start somewhere. If you start too high you might not get too much off.

I don't mind paying a little extra for the right car if it's a cracker!

If you can post a link to the advert I’ll have a look and I’ll do a wee search around the area for alternatives.
If you can post a link to the advert I’ll have a look and I’ll do a wee search around the area for alternatives.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180906022...3

Download the app to find your perfect car.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.autotr...e

Cheers SLO. I'd be travelling to Croydon for this one. I live in Essex.

Might be worth a look and a cheeky £1200-£1500 offer. It’s a private sale and for sale due to illness which means it’s got to go. I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180919065...0

What a lovely looking car, SLO76 - I think I'll buy that one!

(No it's alright, I won't really buy it!)

SLO76 - Just to let you know that I went and had a butchers at the Honda Accord you sent me the link to and.......... I've bought it! :)

The original description in the ad stated part service history but they found the complete Honda main dealer history in the boot! Current owner has owned it for 12 years and its a beauty having only covered 51k miles.

A few marks here and there but lovely all round condition for a 2003 car and the leather interior is immaculate. All the electrics work and it is beautiful to drive with it being an auto and the 2.4L motor!

Was up for £2k and I made a cheeky offer of £1500! We finally ended up on £1800 and hopefully I'll pick it up next week!

Thanks very much SLO!! :)

“SLO76 - Just to let you know that I went and had a butchers at the Honda Accord you sent me the link to and.......... I've bought it! :)”

Sounds like a cracking buy, I got a good vibe from the advert but it’s all in the viewing. Well bought, I hope it serves you well.

Cheers SLO.

It's amazing how much of a lovely car you can get for very little money, and of all the cars I've ever owned, I can honestly say I much more enjoy owning and driving older cars than the 3 brand new ones I've ever had ........ Im weird I know! I think part of it is knowing you are cheating the system and running a reliable cheap motor over an expensive new car with the monthly payments attached!

Its also amazing that this 2003 Honda has absolutely zero rattles or squeaks from the interior and it feels so well made overall.

Cheers SLO.

It's amazing how much of a lovely car you can get for very little money, and of all the cars I've ever owned, I can honestly say I much more enjoy owning and driving older cars than the 3 brand new ones I've ever had ........ Im weird I know! I think part of it is knowing you are cheating the system and running a reliable cheap motor over an expensive new car with the monthly payments attached!

Its also amazing that this 2003 Honda has absolutely zero rattles or squeaks from the interior and it feels so well made overall.

My thinking exactly. It’s perfectly possible to have comfort, reliability and near zero depreciation. I love bangernomics and after a wee blip with a new CRV I’m back to cheap motoring again. That big Honda is the perfect example of it. It should run for years, in fact I’ve more faith in it than I do in many of today’s new offerings.

Well bought Nobby Clark, i think that model Accord is one of the best cars ever made, not only a very competent car all round but to my eyes quietly handsome too.

Interesting what SLO says about the advert and good vibes, you can usually tell the ones to avoid too, 5 mins on the phone invariably confirms whether its worth pursuing.

Hope it gives you many years of enjoyable use.

I reckon you've made a really good buy there, Nobby Clark - Congratulations!

Wishing you every success with your new set of wheels - Be Lucky!.

Chain driven Mazda engine in this and loads of room, but greedy and £315 so dealer will likely be keen to offload. I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180727887...3

Cheers for that SLO.

That Mondeo is a rediculous bargain and the MOT history is great too!

I'd spotted that lovely Accord myself a couple of days ago and thought it was a beauty.

What put me off was 4 owners and part service history..... But on second thoughts it's so cheap that if something did need doing to it, there's plenty left in the kitty to sort it!

I think I'll give him a ring!! :)

I phoned the seller of the Accord and it's an older lady selling it on behalf of her friend.

She was a little vague, but she thinks it was last serviced last year and she believes her friend has owned it for around 10 years!!

I'm going to see it on Wednesday :)

Thank you all for your comments on my new Accord..... Well, when I do go and pick her up!

Mr G Bennet, I too have always admired this particular shape Accord and I'm very excited to finally own a auto! :)

To be honest I've always been attracted to Honda's and I know they kind of have a little stigma attached to them that it's normally the older generation that drive them. Perhaps I fall into that category as I reached 40 this year!! :)

Thanks again to everyone, especially SLO!

Edited by Nobby Clark on 27/09/2018 at 22:58

Hi all.

Just a little update on the Honda! I picked her up on Sunday and drove her 70 miles home, cruising along the motorway.

So far I can honestly say what a lovely car as the 2.4L auto really is a peach. So smooth but has quite a bit of get up and go if required.

Friends and work mates have commented what a lot of car for little money. Because she came with a private plate, my work mate guessed that it must have cost me £4500 because of the condition with only 51k miles on the clock with full Honda history. When I told him I only paid £1800 he couldn't believe it.

I had a new tyre fitted today as there was an advisory on the recent MOT, so for the sake of the cost of the tyre and peace of mind, it was worth doing.

The private plate that came with the car has initials with no relevance to me so I've had a valuation of £600, so I'll sell that and put that money aside for any maintenance or bills that are needed for her.

Thanks again to SLO and everyone else who talked me out of buying a overpriced 2007 Toyota Avensis for my lovely Accord!

Bangernomics are the way forward!! :)