Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Unhappy Bunny

A word of warning to anyone considering buying the revised 1.5 diesel Qashqai....dont !.... well at least not yet.

To comply with the latest 'real world' emission figures Nissan has added adblue to the popular nissan/renault 1.5 diesel engine however it appears to rush and get this to market it hasn't been fully tested.

We took delivery of our new 1.5 on the 11th, was horrified to discover it had adblue fitted due to issues we had with a car that had ADBLUE years earlier vowing to never buy another car with that fitted EVER

Well true enough with a matter of 4 days the adblue module failed and the car has been sat in the dealership since. We have no date for repair or return due to the parts being so new they cannot presently be ordered, it could be weeks or months !

We are in the throws of rejecting the car under consumer rights, NEVER once did Nissan mention that the new car was to have Adblue fitted, if they had we would of walked away, but more importantly when I'm spending the best part of £30k for a car I expect it to last longer than 4 days / 180 miles. The dealership has had the car longer than I have now and Nissan UK are next to useless so far.

If you want a QQ stick with the 1.6diesel that doesn't have this fitted (presently) or move to petrol / different manufacturer until Nissan can sort the the issues with the revised 1.5DCI engine with Adblue fitted

This is our 3rd diesel QQ, all have been brilliant and ultra reliable....until this one with the Adblue fitted.!

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - badbusdriver

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but are Nissan obliged to tell you of any changes they have made to the car?. They are required to meet the latest emissions targets by whatever means they think best. The ever tightening emissions situation has been widely publicised so given you already had such a negative opinion on Ad blue, surely you should have done the research yourself to find out if the new model did or didn't have Ad blue. If you had asked directly whether or not the car had Ad blue and they told you it didn't, well that would be a different situation.

You can't reasonably expect a manufacturer, or dealer to tell you not to buy this particular car as it is unreliable.

Not that any of my ramblings excuse the poor service, and how long the car has been off the road.

But it does also show up just the kind of problems you may expect from a modem diesel and why, unless absolutely necessary (high mileage, towing, etc), a petrol engine might be a better option. I believe the Qashqai is available with Renaults 1.2 turbo petrol.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Avant

As I'm sure you know, you are entitled to reject the car after such a short time. If you really like Qashqais you have the 1.2 petrol or 1.6 diesel (subject to checking re Adblue) to choose from. Alternatively try a Skoda Karoq with the excellent 1.5 petrol turbo engine, which is likely to be just as economical as your diesel Qashqai.

You'll also discover a car that's much less wallowy than the QQ and more fun to drive. The SEAT Ateca is similar, as are the more expensive VW T-Roc and Audi Q2. You could also try the Suzuki Vitara S 1.4 petrol, which I haven't tried but is well reviewed.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Bromptonaut

I agree with badbusdriver.

The fact that changes on 01 September were, in effect, a tightening of the emissions rules and were well publicised should have caused anybody with strong views on adblue to make further inquiries. So far as I can tell most PSA and VAG diesels have had adblue since the last Euro regs (6?) around three years ago. Surprised that Renault/Nissan got away with not needing it to suppress NoX before now.

How is the fault with the adblue model manifesting itself? Is the car immobilised? - PSA versions give you some grace when adblue runs out but eventually they're inhibited from starting.

Fact that it failed after 4 days isn't necessarily an indication that it will be permanent trouble. Could be sort of manufacturing glitch that shows up as soon as component gets warm or is vibrated. One reason I won't take extended warranties on electronic goods is that once they've been warmed up a few times and run for a dozen hours anything that's susceptible to thermal or vibration cycles will fail in those first hours. After that they'll be OK for years.

Unless you can show misrepresentation I don't think the presence of adblue is of itself sufficient to reject. However if car is not usable and there's an indeterminate wait for an uncertain repair then you almost certainly do.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Unhappy Bunny

A couple of things here that I never mentioned in the first post. The car I ordered and signed for was the 1.5dci 110. The exact same car spec / engine that I had bought 4 months earlier for the wife. This is NOT the car that Nissan delivered.

Go on the Nissan website and you tell me anywhere in the brochure or any of the sale literature where it states from September 2018 all 1.5DCI engines will be revamped to include ad blue, if you can I'll stand corrected.....BUT YOU CANT !

As mentioned, we bought another QQ back in May which never had the ad blue fitted, why would I expect this to be any different, in fact the dealership never even realised it had ad blue, so if the dealershiop doesn't know, the sales literature doesn't know, and the website doesn't know...How am I meant to reasonably know, you mention do your homework, show me anywhere on the internet where it states ad blue on new QQ. In fact the very few motoring stories that are on the web have all been published in the last few days after we took delivery of the car so don't be judgemental on something you clearly haven't done your homework on ????

And yes the car is immobile, parked up in the dealership awaiting parts that can't currently be ordered because they're so new

Edited by Unhappy Bunny on 22/09/2018 at 18:34

"Go on the Nissan website and you tell me anywhere in the brochure or any of the sale literature where it states from September 2018 all 1.5DCI engines will be revamped to include ad blue, if you can I'll stand corrected.....BUT YOU CANT !"

This is entirely missing the point, as i said earlier, it is neither Nissan's duty or obligation to tell you that the specification of the car has changed to meet new emissions regulations. That point would only be relevant if you bought both cars at the same time.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Bromptonaut

don't be judgemental on something you clearly haven't done your homework on ????

This is an internet forum. If you make a post asserting you have grounds to reject a vehicle you should expect to be challenged, if only to prepare you for what dealer might say as to why rejection is unreasonable.

Wanting/needing to buy two identical cars 4 months apart is pretty unusual. If you'd mentioned that I'd have probably cut you some slack.

Mrs B and I drive cars of similar size but try to keep each ten years so needing a new car every five years. We both prefer diesels for mpg, general driving characteristics and fact that one of cars has to tow our caravan. If I bought a diesel tomorrow I'd expect to have to live with adblue and would be thinking through whether petrol was a better deal.

Given I was aware, from stuff here and other sites, that there were changes to emission regs September and that some companies (eg Subaru) had dropped diesels altogether I'd have been asking questions of other dealers too. If I'd had personal experience leading me to want to avoid adblue I'd have been been even more insistent.

I think the fact that your car is immobilised without prospect of repair is good reason to reject. I'd be much less confident if failure openly disclose use of adblue catalyst, without inquiry on your part, were basis of rejection as it's standard technology to meet NOx emission regs.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 22/09/2018 at 22:46

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Smileyman

As mentioned, we bought another QQ back in May which never had the ad blue fitted, why would I expect this to be any different, in fact the dealership never even realised it had ad blue, so if the dealership doesn't know, the sales literature doesn't know, and the website doesn't know...

Very poor that dealership did not know, not even the service department, how could they do a PDI? What is staff training for? How could they maintain the vehicle? I think more likely the sales team kept stum! (or forgot to tell you)

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - barney100

Heard this called the 'bathtub'. When new is a point where things often go wrong...that's the drop into the tub...then you get a longer period when all goes ok...the flat bit of the tub...then when it gets old things often go wrong...the other steep end of the tub.

I agree absolutely with Bromptonaut. You need to be firm with the dealer, but on the area where you have a strong case - i.e. the fact that your car is immobile a few days after purchase, and that between them the dealer and Nissan can't or won't fix it. Don't forget that your contract is with the dealer, not with Nissan themselves.

Whether or not they told you about Adblue isn't relevant to your claim under consumer legislation.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - barney100

Seems open and shut to me, the car dosen't work and they can't fix it, never mind if they told you about adblue or anything else.

Exactly my point, the op should have good grounds for rejecting the car on account of how long it has been off the road. This business about the car having adblue and not being told is irrelevant as Nissan are not obliged to. Although the OP's assertion that the dealer did not know the car had adblue seems highly unlikely to me. I think this is more like the dealer just saying they didn't know to redirect the wrath of the OP to Nissan themselves.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - gordonbennet

I assume these things are assembled in Sunderland, though the engine may come complete from elsewhere, it can't be that difficult (can it?) for someone with some clout to make a phone call authorising someone else to grab the parts from the production line parts bin, parcel 'em up and send them to the dealer.

If that's too difficult, it would tell me all i needed to know about the manufacturer, that they are going to deny their customer indefinately it appears the use of their new car, and i'd want me dosh back pronto ta, cheerio.

It's called standing by your product.

I hope the dealer has given you a similar or better vehicle to be used in the meantime, free of any charge of course (no charge for insurance), unlimited mileage?

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - daveyjp
That will never happen. With just in time what gets delivered is fitted, there are no spares.

Same reason our smart was with the dealer for about 8 weeks waiting for a turbo.

Just been with a friend who has a 14 reg Picasso diesel. EML light came on last week, dealer says Adblue system is goosed. £1200 please, but they will try and get a contribution from Citroen.
Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - skidpan
That will never happen. With just in time what gets delivered is fitted, there are no spares. Same reason our smart was with the dealer for about 8 weeks waiting for a turbo. Just been with a friend who has a 14 reg Picasso diesel. EML light came on last week, dealer says Adblue system is goosed. £1200 please, but they will try and get a contribution from Citroen.

Are you sure its not the Eolys system, would be surprised AdBlue was needed at that age.

"That will never happen. With just in time what gets delivered is fitted, there are no spares."

Is that generally the case? If so, it's appalling: new components do fail sometimes, or cars are involved in accidents.

So much for progress. in 1975 I was a member of the Ryder team looking into British Leyland: my job was to report on Unipart (actully one of the few healthy parts of that benighted organisation). They had a code VOR, meaning Vehicle Off Road: if that was submitted by a dealer, the delivery of the part was considered urgent.

New models should surely be introduced with an adequate back-up of spare parts.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - focussed

"That will never happen. With just in time what gets delivered is fitted, there are no spares."

Is that generally the case? If so, it's appalling: new components do fail sometimes, or cars are involved in accidents.

So much for progress. in 1975 I was a member of the Ryder team looking into British Leyland: my job was to report on Unipart (actully one of the few healthy parts of that benighted organisation). They had a code VOR, meaning Vehicle Off Road: if that was submitted by a dealer, the delivery of the part was considered urgent.

New models should surely be introduced with an adequate back-up of spare parts.

In reality it doesn't happen like that. Service and repair parts will be produced and stocked according to their predicted failure and usage rate. So while there will be pallet loads of oil filters, air filters, brake pads etc in stock within the distribution network , but as this particular electronic module wasn't predicted to have a high failure rate there may not have been any produced for replacement parts stock, and the subcontractor producing them has scheduled their production to support the car's production not including an unscheduled spares requirement due to the unit's unpredicted in-service failure.

The best chance of obtaining a unit is to get a stock vehicle robbed, but manufacturers are reluctant to do this.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - oldroverboy.

I can well remember this in the 80'a and 90's fixing Maestros montegos...xj40's and sd1's by taking parts off of vehicles to get the customer mobile...

I once remember the swiss importer (when I worked in a swiss dealership) asking me if i could locate an xj12 ecu in england as there were non available officially. Got one from a LUCAS dealer in Birmingham...

Happy customer...

We had a local Renault dealer back in the 70's who used to remove new parts off new cars and replace them with parts from used cars. He would then sell the new parts. Lost the franchise. Eventually went bust.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - oldroverboy.

We had a local Renault dealer back in the 70's who used to remove new parts off new cars and replace them with parts from used cars. He would then sell the new parts. Lost the franchise. Eventually went bust.

At least we would put the new parts back on the car they were taken off. VOR orders there were just like vor orders here for foreign cars. In Switzerland I remember a Ford dealer whose stock came from Antwerp. anything else had to be bought in from another dealer in switzerland if it was urgent. Stock orders were 2-3 weeks. Fiat Dealers used to order from a Lugano dealer who would send someone over the italian border for urgent stuff...

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Engineer Andy

To add (pardon the pun) to the mix, many manufacturers over on the continent (or with thei European parts HQ there) often take lengthy holidays for much of their site in the summer - all at the same time.

Mazda had loads of problems a couple of years ago sources spares via their Belgium Parts site and I had to wait a month just to get a new clutch (it was delyaed by 2 weeks).

As reagrds the OP's contention about not knowing about the recent change by Nissan/Renault to using Adblue equipped cars, the fact that the new EU car testing and certification regime was coming in on Sept 1st 2018 and that many manufacturers had stopped producing diesel cars (even if temporarily) was a BIG CLUE that something might be afoot.

Very few manufacturers have not been affected by these changes, and thus if I knew my previous car (or if I'd bought one testing under the old regime quite recently) did not have an SCR/AdBlue system (diesels) or PPF (petrols), then I would check with the manufacturer/dealership if I was going to buy a brand new one first, check to see what, if any technical issues these new parts might have (especially if they affected certain makes/models/engines only OR usage patterns) and then take a view whether it would be worth buying a new one with the new part or a 6 month old one without it/them.

As others have said, there's LOADS of information out there on the Interweb about all this if you look hard enough (much is easy to find, and some on this site) and give yourself a reasonable amount of time to research this and other issues before narrowing down choices to a final 2 or 3 cars.

I do think that the OP has grounds to reject the car, but becuase of the repair not being quick and no resolution being in sight, not because they 'weren't told' about the addition of an SCR/AdBlue system to their car. I'm sure, BTW, that Nissan would have included this information somewhere in their blurb, though it could be tucked away from the main marketing stuff.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - John F

So much for progress. in 1975 I was a member of the Ryder team looking into British Leyland: my job was to report on Unipart..........

Really? Presumably working for F MacW? Surely not a now ancient actual team member!

filestore.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pdfs/small/cab-1...f

It certainly makes for fascinating reading, especially the financial chapters 14 and 15. Jeez, the country really was in a mess then.

Many thanks for finding that, John.

Yes, I worked for the firm that's now KPMG - I was two years qualified then. Freddie McWhirter was a fine man who died at 60, much too young, probably from overwork.

That was the time of 25% inflation and appalling industrial relations, although at Unipart both sides of industry did at least talk to each other, and to me. It may have helped that at that time I drove a Maxi which had done 50,000 miles in two years from new with no trouble.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - John F

I drove a Maxi which had done 50,000 miles in two years from new with no trouble.

Great design, and I thought much under-rated by the teenage scribblers of the motoring press. Grand-daddy to all the subsequent front wheel drive hatchbacks. The Maxi should have evolved into a really good world-beating family car. I nearly bought one (but went for a souped up Anglia 105E instead!). Sadly, we got the ghastly Marina instead.....heigh ho.

People dad worked with had Maxis.

One was a very early adopter and although the car was perfect for his leisure needs it was a total lemon. Eventually died at an early age whilst on holiday in the lakes and replaced with a 1300 estate to come home in.

The other had one of the facelifted models and it was never an issue. Even the body was solid after many years. He swapped it for one of the last of the breed when production stopped and true to form that was a total lemon.

1 out of 3 ain't bad surely.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Andrew-T

<< Great design, and I thought much under-rated by the teenage scribblers of the motoring press. Grand-daddy to all the subsequent front wheel drive hatchbacks .... I nearly bought one. >>

I agree - I bought five in a row between about 1972 and 1982, because at that time it was the done thing to change cars every 2 years or so. The earliest ones had a terrible cable-operated gearshift which easily got out of alignment. All my cars were pretty good, except for one which I moved on quickly after poking a screwdriver through the undersill .... A weak point was the oil filter on the lower front of the block, one of mine was knocked off by a heavy object hidden in long grass. Luckily I noticed immediately.

Grand-daddy to all the subsequent front wheel drive hatchbacks

Thinking about it the Renault 16 was out a few years before the Maxi and died after it.

Now that was a great car of its time. Made the Cortina's, Victor's and Hunter's seem exactly what they were, cars from the past with their boneshaking rides and rattles. Problem with it was the cost to fix it if it broke. Not many garages understood what was quite advanced compared to the typical British designs.

You're right - I had seven Renaults in a row, starting with a 20TS, after the Maxis, and rther wished I'd had a 16 instead of the second Maxi. The lack of dealers at the time was offputting, and also the 16's perverse arrangement for folding the rear seat, which involved suspending the backrrest with straps halfway between floor and ceiling.

But I did like the column gearchange, greatly superior to the Maxi's.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - SLO76
My old boy bought a new 16 TX in 1976, I remember the fascination with the electric windows but it was always going wrong and eventually you could poke holes in the wings by the time it was 6yrs old. It was replaced by the first in a long line of Volvo’s a 1982 X 340 GL which never went wrong.
Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - bathtub tom

I had a Maxi 1750. The perfect car to replace the previous Cortina GT due to a couple of kids arriving on the scene.

Often approached corners looking for 2nd, only to coast round them and find it after, however:

1. It was only 0.2sec off winning outright an autotest.

2. Took a class win in a Production Car Trial.

3. Took an outright win in an economy run (delivering 90-odd MPG). Beaten on numbers by a 2CV, but won on corrected figures.

4. It towed (with suitable rear spring assisters), a 12' caravan for family holidays.

It took SWMBO, two kids, a dog, a microwave and full Christmas dinner to MIL's when MIL was newly released from hospital one year.

OK, it was typical of the carp motors around at that time, but the clutch was a doddle to change!

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Binta Rasheed

Rubbish ....I've had loads if cars , Nissan qashqai connecta is a fantastic car , I had new December 2019 , and its december 2020 I do about 15k a year not one problem and only just had to ad blue yesterday but still had lots Mile's it just said 750 to 1500 miles before, and car does amazing mpg best and great car , better than mercedes by far and most others , si 10 pound or even if its 2at 20 pound a year when save thousand s in fuel and never had a problem , maybe it's your negative attitude attracts negative things to moan about ,

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - _

Why do I feel the approach of chopped meat products coming on?

New members are always welcome, Binta Rasheed, but with 'Rubbish' as the first word of your first post you haven't made a very good start. Keep it polite, or I will simply delete your posts.

Nissan Qashqai - New Sept 2018 diesel Qashqai with Adblue - Steveieb

The Renault 16 was a car I would have liked.
One I know of has just sold for £15k . These cars that you wished you have had in the seventies are the hottest property at the moment.

Rust was a massive problem and my friend solved this by pouring a gallon of araldite into the footwell and coating it underneath with under seal.

But returning to the original post, there is also a shortage of infotainment screens which fail on a regular basis. Dealers are requested to connect to the main frame computer at Renault HQ but usually there is no connection. At over £1000 each dealers are reluctant to keep tge item in stock even if they were available , and are nervous about swapping with a demo in case they end up with two cars that are off the road.

Saying that my partners Captur 1.3 t has proved to be 100% reliable and she made a massive saving on the CHR or CX3 which were her first choice.