Vauxhall corsa 1.0 ecotech - Ticking noise? Corsa 1.0 - Jordan Dawson
Hi all, I’ve brought a 2010 Corsa 1.0 ecotech with 52000 on the clock. I got the car with a misfire. I had no issue with sorting this. But there is a ticking sound, not a constant tick. It sounds like it’s coming from the thing sat dead centre on top of the engine (pipe from airbox joins onto it) anyone know what this could be? I’ve raided YouTube but nothing sounds the same! Any help is appreciated!
Vauxhall corsa 1.0 ecotech - Ticking noise? Corsa 1.0 - SLO76
Rattling timing chains are a very common issue with this engine, could be the beginnings of this. Not a good engine.
But it doesn’t sound like it’s cominf from the timing chain area, like I said it sounds like it’s on top of the engine & if it was a timing chain issue, wouldn’t the ticking be regular? At the moment it has moments of silence. It’s that irregular ticking that makes me think it’s something else.
Vauxhall corsa 1.0 ecotech - Ticking noise? Corsa 1.0 - gordonbennet

Presumably you've changed the engine oil to something 'you' know is half decent?

No that’s next on the list, but again it doesn’t be sound engine related! Is there anyway I can upload a video on here?
Vauxhall corsa 1.0 ecotech - Ticking noise? Corsa 1.0 - elekie&a/c doctor

Permanent ticking from the top of the engine area would probably be the injectors. An irregular tick is possibly the fuel evaporative system check valve. This is connected to the air intake system pipework, and will switch on and off randomly. Normal operation and nothing to worry about.

Oven done a bit of reading on the fuel evaporative system. Isn’t there meant to be a engine management light on if this component has failed?

How do you know it has failed?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 22/09/2018 at 14:16

Sorry, failing. Surely the car would tell me it’s on its way out no?
I’ve put a video of the ticking on YouTube: m.youtube.com/watch?v=2I4P0UBB3e4
Vauxhall corsa 1.0 ecotech - Ticking noise? Corsa 1.0 - bathtub tom

That sounds like an HT spark to me, but there's no engine hesitation when you hear it, which is what I'd expect.

Have you tried removing any engine covers and seeing if there's any sparks where there shouldn't be when it's dark?

No, I’ve never actually heard this could happen before. I’ll check tonight before work and update

Sure does sound like an ht spark "leak" to me. How did you cure the original misfire? I would pull out the coil cassette and check for any cracks/fractures on the spark plug tubes.

Just changed the park plugs (looked like they’d been in there since new, right mess) & cleaned the coil pack using break cleaner
Vauxhall corsa 1.0 ecotech - Ticking noise? Corsa 1.0 - Carolc3

Did this sort your issue, I have exactly the same sound from my 1.0 ecotech Corsa!

Vauxhall corsa 1.0 ecotech - Ticking noise? Corsa 1.0 - Railroad.
Sorry, failing. Surely the car would tell me it’s on its way out no?

Not necessarily. It doesn't work like that. The ECM would only generate a fault code if it was receiving information that was outside what it's expecting. So unless it was open circuit or short circuit, or its failure was having an effect elsewhere that the ECM wasn't happy with then the ECM would not know anything was wrong with it even if there was.

Fault codes don't tell what the fault is. They tell you where the fault is being reported from. That isn't the same thing at all.

Edited by Railroad. on 01/03/2023 at 07:30