2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - ch1984

Hi there,

I put a deposit on an ix35 its a 2013 4WD Premium with 2.0L Diesel Engine for €11,9000.

It has 105,000 miles on the clock. It's being sold through an Independent Dealer where it will come with a 3 month Warranty, also 2 years NCT.

My concern is whether to see the Clutch kit being replaced as positive thing or negative. Granted it'll be done at no cost to me but in my head i'm thinking of what else could be wrong with it?!

I took it for a test drive in rush hour traffic which means i was stopped or creeping along as opposed to actually testing it. I did find that when i got to put my foot down for a few seconds it revved but didn't really pick up speed (at the time i thought it was because i wasn't used to a 2.0L diesel or the bite on the car, i mentioned it to sales rep and he said it's probably just feels different but today he informed me that clutched needed to be replaced so i was right in my thinking the revving odd..

Basically i don't know whether to walk away and lose my €300 deposit or should i just go for it and anything that crops up will be fixed within 3 month warranty or for the NCT?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - Avant

Others with more mechanical expertise will be able to comment further, but my immediate thought is that 105,000 miles is not bad for a clutch, and with it clearly slipping, you'd be more worried if it hadn't been replaced.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything else wrong with the car. If you're not sure, see if you can get a friend with some mechanical knowledge to have a look at it with you.

2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - badbusdriver

Others with more mechanical expertise will be able to comment further, but my immediate thought is that 105,000 miles is not bad for a clutch, and with it clearly slipping, you'd be more worried if it hadn't been replaced.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything else wrong with the car. If you're not sure, see if you can get a friend with some mechanical knowledge to have a look at it with you.

Agree completely Avant. Assuming that was the original clutch (can you check the service records?), over 100k miles seems pretty good to me.

2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - SLO76
A clutch is a wear and tear item and 105,000 miles is a fair enough lifespan. That said while I don’t know what the market for used cars is like where you are (price in euros) but I wouldn’t be spending so much on such a high mileage car which will plummet in value as it creeps ever further away from 100,000 miles. Plus this is a belt driven engine so I’d be wanting a timing belt and water pump change immediately if there’s no invoice to prove it’s recently been done. Many get this older engine mixed up with the newer chain driven 1.7 diesels.
2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - Nomag

I had a 2011 model for 5 years and can assure you the 2.0 R type diesel is chain cam.

But I certainly wouldnt pay that. I got about 6.5k for mine in Jan, it was 6.5 yrs old with 80k miles.

Fuel economy is not a strong point on the 4wd diesel, I almost never got over 40mpg, 37 was more the norm. It's also quite low geared which doesn't help motorway economy, I always felt like it needed a 7th gear!

2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - SLO76
“I had a 2011 model for 5 years and can assure you the 2.0 R type diesel is chain cam.“

My bad, right enough. I’m getting mixed up with the previous gen 2.0 that was in the older model and in the first gen Cee’d which was belt driven. It is indeed a chain in this model.
2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - Avant

Not sure where you are, ch1984: you quote a price in euros but mileage in miles. Assuming you mean 11,900 euros, this may or may not be a fair price depending on the country you're in and the market conditions.

If you're in Ireland, I believe cars are generally more expensive there.

2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - Wee Willie Winkie

The OP mentions the NCT, which is the Irish equivalent of our MOT.

Used cars are a lot more expensive over in the south of Ireland.

2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - oldroverboy.

Nephew is in Southern ireland, studying.

Was going to buy a car (there) and insure it and use it when we visit.

Cost absolutely frightening for anything ...

Look up the price of a used sanderos....

People keep cars a lot longer there..

Edited by oldroverboy. on 22/09/2018 at 10:48

2013 ix35 4WD Premium 134BHP 2.0L Diesel - Put deposit on ix35 and now clutch has to be repla - SteveLee

KIAs and Hyundais are considered to be very reliable (they are) but clutches are not known to be that long lasting in them - some models (i10 etc) suffer from slightly high than expected clutch wear, so no, I wouldn't be worried and would consider a new clutch a bonus at that mileage.