Any FWD - Grease Recommendations - edlithgow

Heading back to Taiwan in a week so last-minute shopping time.

I havn't found it possible to find recognisable brands of grease in Taiwan, and I'd bet money the distinction between standard lithium bearing grease and moly grease for CV joints is not known or of any interest there, so I thought I'd take a tub or two back.

Any recommendations?

Any FWD - Grease Recommendations - gordonbennet

I get standard Comma Moly grease or whatever is on offer on the bay of e, but you should be able to find any equivalent in any half reasonable factor or even a decent accessory shop that sells parts as well as bolt on goodies if time is an issue.

Any FWD - Grease Recommendations - focussed

The Comma CV grease is called "CV Lith-Moly" and it is good stuff like all of the Comma products.

Thanks.

Got some of the Comma stuff ordered-in by a small "old-school" car parts supplier I dealt with when I lived in Edinburgh (Pilrig Motors).

Might have been a bit cheaper from Ebay (.or even Halfords) but ...I dunno...nostalgia I suppose.

Any FWD - Grease Recommendations - hardway

Yeah but nostalgia when it comes to the Banks family could mean converting the price label into decimel.

They keep everything.

From way back.

Good guys though.

Yeah but nostalgia when it comes to the Banks family could mean converting the price label into decimel.

They keep everything.

From way back.

Good guys though.

I once (having read about them in a '60's car maintenance book in the library) asked about a 12V welding torch in there and the father went into the back shop, blew some dust off a cardboard box, and there one was.

A bronze holder for a carbon electrode, with a wooden handle and a rubber-insulated lead ending in a big croc-clip. Think you were supposed to use it like a TIG torch.

He said they worked, and perhaps it would have in his hands. Didn't work for me but I was delighted to try it. Cost buttons.

Living history.Can't find any trace of the gizmo on the Internyet

Edited by edlithgow on 30/08/2018 at 19:28

Any FWD - Grease Recommendations - hardway

Yeah I recall them advertised in "practical motorist"

Seem to recall they worked on a kind of woodpeker system,

tap/tap/tap.......

Sure a mate had one but this was way back in the 70's.

The ad went something like "now you too can weld thin steel body panels"

Hah!

Remeber this was back when if your can failed it's MOT on sill all you had to do was pop rivet a cover sill on AND IT PASSED!!

And worse that that!!

Edited by hardway on 30/08/2018 at 19:53

Yeah I recall them advertised in "practical motorist"

Seem to recall they worked on a kind of woodpeker system,

tap/tap/tap.......

NOW you tell me. Don't think I tried that.

I could see how it MIGHT tend to limit the current and get around the difficulty of maintaining an arc.

I couldn't get any kind of arc going at 12V. If I upped it to 24V with another battery I could run an arc but the cable started to smoke.

Gave up eventually. Dunno what happened to the gizmo but I imagine my brother chucked it after I went to Taiwan.

Anoother link wi't past gone....

Any FWD - Grease Recommendations - gordonbennet

Sign of the times that it had to be ordered in, no wonder there's such a business in refurbed drive shafts, when periodically regreased CV and inner joints will invariably last the life of the vehicle and beyond.