Toyota Landcruiser Auto - Advice needed - Steveieb
My partners son needs a 4x4 estate to tow a trailer
There is one available at Gells of Raunds for £5495.
Can Gordon Bennet our in house expert take a look on line and give an opinion.

Other LC experts views would be welcome too

Going to take a look tomorrow

Many thanks
Toyota Landcruiser Auto - Advice needed - badbusdriver

This is the car in question,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180716848...1

Edited by badbusdriver on 26/08/2018 at 12:24

Toyota Landcruiser Auto - Advice needed - SLO76
Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180731898...8

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180516657...4

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180624780...2

Younger much lower mileage alternatives...

Edited by SLO76 on 26/08/2018 at 12:47

These are very robust cars but any vehicle which is fourteen years old and has 175,000 miles under its belt is a gamble. Don’t buy it unless you can afford the heafty bills it may bring and can cope with sub 25mpg economy plus you have the capacity to weather a total loss of your £5,500.

Chassis rot is your biggest worry on these so ask if you can get it on the workshop ramp for a good look underneath. Make sure the gears change smoothly without clunks or lurches when cold and ask to hear it start from cold then when you arrive to view pop the bonnet and feel for any heat in the engine to see whether they’ve started it beforehand which could mean there’s a starting issue or a noise that goes when it warms up.

When driving look for tailpipe reek particularly blue smoke and listen for any transmission noise which seems out of the ordinary. These are quite refined for older off-roaders so it should be pretty quiet.

The best expert on these will no doubt be along to advise shortly as there’s no better way to know them than to own and run one but for me I wouldn’t asvise buying something like this unless funds are plentiful.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/08/2018 at 12:32

Sound advice as usual SLO
Your advice and others on my daughter s Mazda 3 purchase has proved invaluable. She took the advice from this site and is very very satisfied.

Gells of Raunds are a family run garage who offer 3 months parts and labour warranty which they honour themselves.

Used them to buy a Y Reg Yaris and even though it's 20 years old it has been faultless. Obviously it only had 67 K miles which is a lot less than the LC.
Sound advice as usual SLO Your advice and others on my daughter s Mazda 3 purchase has proved invaluable. She took the advice from this site and is very very satisfied. Gells of Raunds are a family run garage who offer 3 months parts and labour warranty which they honour themselves. Used them to buy a Y Reg Yaris and even though it's 20 years old it has been faultless. Obviously it only had 67 K miles which is a lot less than the LC.

Happy to help, I’m glad she got a good car from it. As for the warranty on this old Toyota well there’s no way they could buy in any worthwhile cover on such a high risk vehicle so they’d have to offer their own warranty but I’ll wager it has limited cover with a very small claims limit which won’t cover much especially on something like this. I’m not saying they’re a bad outfit or the car is duff, it’s impossible to say either without seeing it but it’s somply not possible to guarantee something like this so buy with open eyes and in the knowledge that you’ll likely be left to cover any big repairs yourself and even if it landed in court it would be seen as unrealistic to expect this not to go wrong.
Sound advice as usual SLO
My daughter bought her Mazda 3 after guidance from you and the other contributors and she is very very happy.

Can you suggest another similar vehicle to the LR which you would recommend? If this one doesn't come up to the mark ?
Sorry SLO your posting must have crossed mine.

I should have said LC not LR

But would not want to travel to Devon as we live in Northampton

Cheers
“Can you suggest another similar vehicle to the LR which you would recommend? If this one doesn't come up to the mark ?”

See above. I found a Kia, Hyundai and Shogun that are all similar money but much newer and lower mileage. I flogged loads of Shoguns over the years without bother especially the autos which will run beyond 200k easy enough if looked after and at under 80k this should be just run in. Again with all three the same checks apply, watch for chassis rot in particular and off-roading damage.
Toyota Landcruiser Auto - Advice needed - Ian D
No mention of service history, would check and if none not even go to look at it.
Thank you

Just learned that a seven seater is required . Sorry.
But it's possible to source additional seats for the LC from eBay ?
Toyota Landcruiser Auto - Advice needed - gordonbennet
Thank you Just learned that a seven seater is required . Sorry. But it's possible to source additional seats for the LC from eBay ?

Now you have me, the rear seats are easily removable on this model, literally seconds, so no doubt available used, but i don't know if all vehicles were fitted out as 8 seaters (yes they are 8) with the floor and side fittings and built in seat belts for the rear seats at the factory.

Edit, yup the fittings are there, the third seat belt for the 8th seat should be looped into the roof, out of shot in the boot photo, looked again with eyes open this time and its there too, so full 8 seater.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/08/2018 at 14:34

Far from an expert but owned a few now.

Its the very base model, which is fine in itseld but wants to be cheaper than this IMHO because it will not be an easy sell on, its ok if you are definately a long term owner because there is less to go wrong.

Now bear with me because this might be completely accurate and build dates can change things, LC 2 and 3 had standard rear axles with lockable diffs, all models have full time 4WD with lockable centre diff, higher spec models gain limited slip read diff, top range models have full all round tractions control.

OK so the 2/3 are simpler, the LC5 which i have is a more complicated machine having full air suspension and with the stability controls is a much more controlled car on wet roads, most buyers want LC3 or 4 as it does away with rear air suspension (don't for one minute think these are as troublesome as Range Rovers with air, they are not) and swapping rear airbags is simpler than changing a rear spring, but they do have height sensors whch can play up, not cheap if they go wrong.

Also LC5 has full touch screen satnav (up to date new discs available from several sources, no need for main dealer) but this screen alos controls climate etc, so if it goes wrong a new one is very expensive but an alternative has apprently been found, androd based, how that is i don't know.

OK, by now you'll have guessed i would suggest a 3/4/5 model instead, with toys etc increasing as you go up the range.

Gearbox, earlier 2/3 models maye well have the old 4 speed box from the previous Colorado, nothing wrong with that, its easier to service and has a dipstick (that's how you'll be able to tell whch box is in) so drain and refills are much easier than the later box, however this box requiresan oil change now and again, its filled with standard dinosaur dexron, simple DIY but it does need an oil chnage.

Later 5 speed box is supposed not to need on oil change as its filled with WS (world standard) dexron 6 synthetic, these boxes appear to be bomb proof but obviousaly me being me i have changed the oil in mine, which is not as simple because the dipstick has been done away with an oil checking is done by a level plug in the bottom of the sump but has to be carried out at a certai temperature and filling is awkward and needs an oil pump of some sort...easy enough DIY for a bodger like me so anyone who doesn't mind getting dirty can do it.

Props are both greasable and if neglected you will feel a thump in the transmission a few seconds after you come to a halt.

Righto generally these are rugged vehicles, the front axle is indpendent with drive shafts and these boots can spit and leak (history if this on the one at Raunds), they can be regreased and i have never chanaged one, the rear axle is live, on the LC2 there will be a solenoid unit on the axle casing which is the diff lock, these can suffer corrosion and fail to work completely and untill you get the thing stuck you won't find out if it works or not, you can see if the dash light works by pressing the rear diff lock switch and mving the vehicle in a stright line only, and then see the light come on and then switch off to see the light go off again, this should prove the system but unless you jack one side up (and its full time 4wd so you might not be able to tell from jacking only one wheel up) you won't know for sure, its an expensive part.

The vehicle is easy to service DIY, cambelt on the 3.0D4D will take you about 1 hour first time you do it, easiest cambelt change i've done, kit less than £100 so not a deal breaker and at 170k that one is due (every 90k).

This vehicle needs an oil change every year or 10k, i do mine twice a year...are you reading this JohnF :-)...and i always inspect the oil pick up strainer in the sump which is just above the drain plug so visible (camera/endoscope best so avoiding an eye filling drip) to view, these engines up to 2008 were fitted with copper injector seals which can leak and allow blow by which carbonises the oil and blocks the intake leading to total engine failure, many cars were pulled back in and the seals chanegd to alloy but unless there is a history of this being done its best to assume the worse.

Sump holds 7.75 litres, i usually buy 5W40 full synthetic when its on offer, but EXOL are selling 10W40 Diesel specific semi synth for £43 for a 20 litre drum and considering how frequently i change the oil that will be going in next change in the spring, i bought a dozen oil flters on special offer, the filter is huge and quite expensive.

Denzo injectors are not long lived according to some and some say 100k miles is enough for them, i had mine checked and all is well at 101k, but i do run Millers and dash of 2t oil with each full up, so your guess is as good as mine, 4 new injectors and fitting and you won't have much change from £1500.

EGR valve can get clogged, easy if messy job to remove and clean the whole intake system.

Twin batteries on these, as cheap from Toyota as most places, mine had 2 new ones just before i bought it, receipt for some £150 in the book pack.

Underbody is where you should look first on these, take something to lay on and you can slide straight under, check chassis (for damage as rust), especially at the back end up where the towbar will bolt on, rear axle casing, check the front drive shafts and rubber boots, check especially the inner sills of the body itself, they get a hell of battering from the elements and at both ends they can actually perfortate right through.

Righto, this particular vehicle, the MOT history is not making good reading to me, it reads of neglected vehicle but to others and you it might sound ok.

I'd be far happier lookng at either of these on ebay 25380768722 323411998524, but no harm in having a poke nose at several so you see the difference between a good and bad one.

Always with any 4x4, the first place you look is underneath, unfortunately that's often the last place you look and 5 minutes later you're back in your getting away as quickly as possible, i had exactly this after driving all the way to Harrogate to buy an 'excellent' 100 series Amazon from a dealer, never even opend the door, got under the back and shoved me mitt straight through a box setion, 5 minutes later i was on my way home.

As you probably know i'm in Kettering and i'm at home today, usually i have Mondays off but my shft pattern has come round so i'm at work tomorrow, if you can get to Kettering today or next thursday friday mon or tues(off work all 4 days but work sat and sun) i'll gladly show you what to look for on my own 120 Cruiser and you can see for yourself what hopefully a good one should feel sound and drive like.

Oh, the brakes on these are very good indeed, having 4 pistons calipers up front and vented discs all round, but they need regular stripping and lubing as they can seize pistons and sliders, cheap enough parts wise, parking brake is drum inside rear disc design, trouble free, however the brake servo action is by electric pressure pump bolted to the laster cyl and abs unit combined, these have been known to fail and the dealer only wants to fit a complete unit, think £2000+ and on Amazons apaprently £4000 so i've read, but all is not lost the units come apart and a full rebuild of the pump is around £150.

There are several forums for LC's, 2 in this country

www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/index.php

www.landcruiserclub.net/community/forums/

and lots more forums based in Oz and the like where the vehicle is known as Prado.

By the way, Landcruisers are never cheap to buy, if you spot a cheap one you can be sure there's a reason why.

Oh and if you can find one, you are better off with one with the spare wheel under the boot floor, the wheel and bracket are very heavy and been known to start to crack the rear door on neglected vehicle, at least one of the two ebay motors i listed has the underslung spare...note first should have been 253807686722

remember if registered after March 06 these go into £540 VED band.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/08/2018 at 13:50

An absolute masterclass in vehicle description and foibles which must be placed in the HJ Hall of Fame or library.

Many many thanks , I will keep you updated.
My main concern is that the relative is on an extremely limited budget and hasn't got the finances to pay for the upkeep once the warranty expires.

remember if registered after March 06 these go into £540 VED band.

and that 06 plate one looks to be registered in June, worth a phone call to any 06 plated vehicle to check registration date, i believe the cut off point is Mrach 23rd.

On a budget i'd go for a mk 6 Hilux instead, but towing capacity is 2.5 tons instead of 2.8 for the Cruiser, you can get the 2.5 or 3 litre engines, auot or manual, but where you save big time is the VED, cos lght commercial innit and so long as its a twin cab with 4WD (selectable, RWD for all normal road work) you keep car speed limits, cos classed as dual purpose vehicle innit.

3.0 litre Hilux auto in HL3 or Invincible trim you would never know you are driving a pick up, lighter than LC so slightly better on fuel too, but the 2.5 with a manual box is considerably better on fuel and apprently as no injector seal issues (but check that out as i haven't fully investigated them) and they don't suffer with broken chassis like Navaras.

Unless he needs 4WD capability would a Volvo V70 or similar not be as good a bet, cheap as chips now, if and when it breaks rinse and repeat.

Don't get me wrong, i've found that apart from obvious fuel economy or lack of it, mine does about 27mpg on my commutes and it will just about do 30 on a run if you keep it to 70, my Toyota 4x4's have been completely reliable and rather cheap to own because they tend not to go wrong, but i am hands on and do lots of preventative maintenance myself, a neglected one left to deteriorate and needing a garage to fix it could be an expensive venture.

Good luck in the search, obviously Hilux now out of the running due to 7 seater requirement.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/08/2018 at 14:35

Not looking good.
Just found out that there is no service record for the last 5years as the previous owner was a diy owner.
What with the high VED it's looking more and more like a non starter.

But again the wealth of knowledge I've gained from all the contributors today has proved absolutely invaluable.

I'm a DIY owner but keep a diary of when and what was done, whether any potential buyer believes that is a moot point, but invariably i manage to sell the vehicles to very happy buyers.

The high VED is for vehicles regd after March 23rd 2006 @ £540 odd, for cars regd before that its £280 odd, hence why my own is a 55 plate, which i travelled 75 miles rapidly one morning and bought it literally a handful of hours after it went online, good ones are snapped up instantly, so if he wants one and spots a good one do not hesitate or it will be gone.

Will need to check if has had a belt change and whether it will take the additional two seats ?
Would Gordon Bennet be prepared to come over to take a look sometime in the week.
No comeback but we would like your opinion and of course would pay for your time ?
Will need to check if has had a belt change and whether it will take the additional two seats ? Would Gordon Bennet be prepared to come over to take a look sometime in the week. No comeback but we would like your opinion and of course would pay for your time ?

Not a problem Stevieb, would Thursday all day (preferably avoiding evening peak period) or Friday morning be ok with you, and no talk of payment please, if you want to stump up for a a McD's latte (not Costapacket or Starbucks due to ridiculous pricing, i will not use either) that would be more than enough...i'll use the opportunity of popping round my little favourite bodyshop to get a quote on the front bumper which needs painting due to hit and run, where i work!

I'll go through the vehicle with you and we'll see what we make of it.

Toyota Landcruiser Auto - Advice needed - John F

.....This vehicle needs an oil change every year or 10k, i do mine twice a year...are you reading this JohnF :-)...

Ho ho - just noticed this......I would happily re-use your barely stressed old oil - unfortunately our Focus needs 5-30 and I've just bought a can of 'classic 20-50' from Wilko for the TR7 which I might use this year...or next .....are you reading this skidpan ;-)

Really appreciate this GB but it looks as if they have decided to go ahead.
Will keep you posted.
Sorry about the delay In replying I was in hospital for a couple of days for investigations.
looks as if they have decided to go ahead. Will keep you posted. Sorry about the delay In replying I was in hospital for a couple of days for investigations.

No probs at all, hope it proves to be a decent vehicle.

Also best wishes for the all clear re hospital...by the way i'm still in love with Nurse Barker childrens ward Bishops Stortford circa 1965ish..:-)

Just before they sign on the bottom line, have a quick look at a new listing on the bay.

Very high mileage but take a look at that service history, all done at Toyota Bury St Edmunds.

The most desirable used model too, LC4.

Any idea if the original car would be Japanese built or South African as it is the base model?

Check the chassis number, first letter denotes country of manufacture, i know J is for Japan (obviously) and i believe A denotes SA, however my SA built Hilux was very well made, right down to electrical connectors ( and headlight bulbs connectors) being smeared in white grease at the factory.

As an aside, it will be very interesting to see what happens, re Toyota and other heavy investors in SA's industry, if SA really continues down the route of govt approved property theft (seemingly approved by our laughing stock PM) and blind eyes turned to racially motivated murder on a large scale..another but far worse Zimbabwe style disaster looming there, especially if the foreign backed industries pull out.

Toyota Landcruiser Auto - Advice needed - Metropolis.

On point as always GB. Ian Smith knew exactly what was coming when the marxist terrorists took power. Yet our leaders have continued their habit of appeasing marxists, HK being the final, albeit ceremonial, betrayal.

Back to cars, have you considered swapping for an Amazon? Seems like it would be top of the tree!

Back to cars, have you considered swapping for an Amazon? Seems like it would be top of the tree!

That was the original plan, i like how the Amazon drives but it is considerably wider than the 120 series so always had reservations, and they appear to have many more issues that need fixing as they age, the biggies being the hydraulic suspension and brake booster motors, i know where to get these fixed well and cheaply (hydraulic suspension fix using Citroen C5 spheres believe it or not).

I still had my petrol 90 series Colorado, but had decided against an LPG conversion on that particular vehicle, due in no small way to the position of the petrol tank which was going to make conversion even more expensive, pity because the 3.4 V6 is a bombproof engine and apparently so i have read quite in demand from drag racers who stick superchargers on them and they seem able to stand massive hp without trouble.

I drove up to Harrogate to buy a ''pristine'' 100 series Amazon, that had already been converted and waxoyled, only to shove a mitt straight through a box section at the rear and found that waxoyling consisted of one recent single pass of a waxoyl aerosol across the front of the front cross member and lower suspension arms, really they must think we're all as thick as two planks.

Poor underbody condition proved to be the issue with several, so i'd more or less given up and was only keeping an eye on the adverts in case the right one, either 120 or Amazon popped up preferably with a petrol engine and underslung spare wheel so making conversion easy, well one morning the one i have now did pop up, it happened to be Diesel but everything else was right, and i'd already come to realise that if a good one of these pops up you have no time to mess about or they will get snapped up.

Apart from that have you seen the price Amazons are fetching, its frankly ridiculous now, even my 120 hasn't lost any value since i bought the thing, they're still asking well over £10k for good reasonable mileage LC 4 and 5's on 05 and 55 plate, arguably slightly more valuable than a 56 or later plate due to silly VED charges.

I'm very happy with my 120 and have no plans to change it, if i had Avant's wallet :-) i'd be in a 200 series or preferably personal import a new updated 70 series with the V8 Diesel, i had a lovely 70 series (which SWMBO had a serious accident in, but the vehicle being built like the proverbial outhouse she suffered no injuries at all, thankfully) and it's my favourite LC by far.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/09/2018 at 19:50