Audi A3 Sportback - 2005 - Clutch Pedal Has Gone All Floppy! - Galaxy

I was called out to have a look at this car, which belongs to a relative of mine, earlier this evening. He hasn't had any previous problems with the clutch on this car but today, when he was about to go out, the clutch pedal just went all floppy.

By "all floppy" I mean that the pedal just moves up and down as if there's nothing else connected to it. It's clearly not operating the clutch as it's possible to move the pedal up and down with just one finger.

Could there be a clip or linkage broken somewhere above the clutch pedal itself or is it likely the problem is going to be with the clutch itself?

Can anyone offer me any advice on this problem, please?

Audi A3 Sportback - 2005 - Clutch Pedal Has Gone All Floppy! - Big John

Sounds like a hydraulic issue - Which engine does it have?

Some larger engines have a concentric clutch salve cylinder that is known to fail. Any barke fluid loss (resevoir feeds clutch as well) or any wetness of brake fluid at the base of the gearbox bellhousing?

Follow the hydralic pipes from the clutch master cylinder to see if the slave cylinder is on top of the gearbox.

Sorry, I should have said; it's a 2.0L tdi. I believe, from what I've read elsewhere that the clutch slave cylinder is concentric.

I did check the fluid level in the master cylinder, which was OK. Too dark tonight to do very much else, unfortunately.

Audi A3 Sportback - 2005 - Clutch Pedal Has Gone All Floppy! - elekie&a/c doctor
If there is no fluid loss, I wonder if the pivot pin has broken off the pedal assy.

Thanks Elekie and Big John

From further research I've carried out online this evening it appears you can purchase a modified clutch pedal assembly to overcome what appears to be a fairly common problem.

Taken from such a listing on Ebay:

Brand new genuine VW clutch pedal repair kit direct from an authorized VW dealer straight to your door at a special discounted online price!

This kit is designed to repair the common Mk4 Golf problem of the clutch pedal dropping to the floor as the clutch master cylinder shaft punches through the spot welded housing on the side of the clutch pedal, breaking the two retaining clips along the way, rendering the car un-drivable.

Our kit includes a new later pedal with uprated welds (see pics) and the two retaining clips that are usually damaged upon failure.

I believe this possibility definitely needs investigating tomorrow.

The actual Ebay listing that I found is as follows:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Audi-A3-TT-Seat-Skoda-Golf-M...N

Edited by Galaxy on 22/08/2018 at 00:17

Audi A3 Sportback - 2005 - Clutch Pedal Has Gone All Floppy! - mak

Just wondering if that new clutch pedal fitted. It states mk4 golf not mk5 which correspondes to Audi mk2. Expect part number to start with 1K....

Hope problem has now been sorted, I would have expected a hydraulic issue.

Very best wishes

Car was towed to the garage the following day before I had the opportunity to have a second look at it.

They fitted a new clutch master cylinder - all seems to be OK now, fortunately.

Thanks!

Edited by Galaxy on 27/08/2018 at 16:28

Audi A3 Sportback - 2005 - Clutch Pedal Has Gone All Floppy! - Big John

Good news!