All - speeding and parking - barney100

2008/9 697,000 parking fines, 2018 expected 6.4 million, private firms seeking details from DVLA apparently and catching people who use supermarkets, motorway services etc. Chief consatble of Birmingham wants to get rid of the 10% plus 2 mph leeway on speeding activation and bring the leeway down to almost nothing. Zero tolerance almost. AA don't like it but it would be a cashcow for the powers that be.

All - speeding and parking - Avant

He would do better to channel his force's efforts into combating crimes such as muggings and burglaries, and making Birmingham a safer place to live.

All - speeding and parking - alan1302

He would do better to channel his force's efforts into combating crimes such as muggings and burglaries, and making Birmingham a safer place to live.

But the fines from speeding drivers would help pay for that

All - speeding and parking - Manatee

2008/9 697,000 parking fines, 2018 expected 6.4 million, private firms seeking details from DVLA apparently and catching people who use supermarkets, motorway services etc. Chief consatble of Birmingham wants to get rid of the 10% plus 2 mph leeway on speeding activation and bring the leeway down to almost nothing. Zero tolerance almost. AA don't like it but it would be a cashcow for the powers that be.

The chief constable is an idiot if that is true. Whilst a limit is a limit, and it is perfectly possible automatically to fine everybody doing 31mph with no human intervention, it would be punishing people who are essentially trying to drive at the limit and are succeeding for any practical purpose. Once, somebody was clever enough to work this out and proposed the tolerance.

Unless the "powers that be" literally want drivers to do 25 in a 30 limit, and 65 on motorways, they shouldn't do this.

It's not as if there aren't plenty of people breaking the limit by more than the traditional tolerance. Start with all the 3.5 tonne vans, limited to 60 but tailgating other drivers at 70+ on dual carriageways. Deal with that first.

All - speeding and parking - gordonbennet

You'd think by now that politicians apparatchiks and others, ie this bod, would have realised that trying to divert attention away from the real crises they should be trying to keep a lid on (or actually fix) simply isn't working, the general public is no longer content to be told what to believe or think by the controlled idiot box in the corner nor the mainstream press, millions more are waking up to what is really going on.

As for zero tolerance speeding, pray carry on if you think the fines will somehow provide funds to important issues (pause for laughter), watch the road casualties build up as people drive down urban roads with their eyes on the speedo in case they dare go over by 1 or 2 mph, instead of the constant all round observation that good drivers carry out all the time.

Speed itself is not the issue, its appropriate speed for the circs, we've all seen idiot (not always the usual idiots but many who should know better) driving through residential areas at speeds far too fast for the situation, but they wouldn't technically be speeding.

All - speeding and parking - Andrew-T

<< Whilst a limit is a limit, and it is perfectly possible automatically to fine everybody doing 31mph with no human intervention, it would be punishing people who are essentially trying to drive at the limit and are succeeding for any practical purpose. >>

Well, yes, but in absolute terms what is the point of telling us all the limit is 30 when we all know you really mean 33 ? Why not say 33 and mean it? I think the margin was originally added to avoid penalising anyone whose speedo was not that accurate. I don't think that happens very often today.

We all know that there is a shortage of local and central tax income to pay for essentials (the NHS we keep hearing about) so I don't feel bad about collecting money this way - provided it's done fairly of course.

'Trying to drive at the limit' - what is that, exactly? Is someone pushing?

All - speeding and parking - barney100

Info from an article in today's Telegraph.

All - speeding and parking - BMW Enthusiast

Chief consatble of Birmingham wants to get rid of the 10% plus 2 mph leeway on speeding activation and bring the leeway down to almost nothing. Zero tolerance almost. AA don't like it but it would be a cashcow for the powers that be.

I read about that yesterday in the papers. He's living in cloud cuckoo land.

All - speeding and parking - Brit_in_Germany

On the parkjng front, it should be an offence for operators of car parks with number plate recognition technology to allow the payment of the parking fee when a registration is entered which has not been detected by the cameras.

All - speeding and parking - TheGentlemanThug

Whilst the leeway is entirely at the discretion of the individual officer, having no leeway at all is simply daft and, I'd argue, obstructive and even dangerous.

Say that someone accelerates briefly to avoid a potential collision or overtake a lane-hogger; why should that driver be punished?

Sadly, a few bad apples give everyone a bad name and drivers can seemingly no longer be trusted to use their common sense.

Whilst the leeway is entirely at the discretion of the individual officer, having no leeway at all is simply daft and, I'd argue, obstructive and even dangerous.

Say that someone accelerates briefly to avoid a potential collision or overtake a lane-hogger; why should that driver be punished?

That's the problem when a rigid rule is implemented to persuade everyone to behave sensibly. The rule has to be rigid in an attempt to be even-handed.

Another rule is the age at which young people may get a licence and start to drive. Some may make good drivers at 15; others should perhaps wait until 21 ....

In the 1st case it's very unlikley to happen that you would be caught as you happen to speed up to avoid a crash. On the 2nd just go to the otherside of them.

All - speeding and parking - Gibbo_Wirral

For some reason, that "1mph over the limit" story was originally out in January 2018 and soon scrapped:

www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/914747/speed-lim...K

No idea why the papers have picked up on it again.

No idea why the papers have picked up on it again.

It's a good story to get people clicking and getting the ad revenues in

All - speeding and parking - Smileyman

I'd go a step further, the Police are keen to have the public on their side, to police society through concesus, however to prosecute every driver who drives just 1 mile above the limit would destroy such support. Who would be willing to support / assist an entity that considers 1 mph more important than catching thieves, or muggers, or dealing with knife crime, or people trafficking or modern slavery or prostitution or even bad driving etc.

I'd go a step further, the Police are keen to have the public on their side, to police society through concesus, however to prosecute every driver who drives just 1 mile above the limit would destroy such support. Who would be willing to support / assist an entity that considers 1 mph more important than catching thieves, or muggers, or dealing with knife crime, or people trafficking or modern slavery or prostitution or even bad driving etc.

Bad driving? Like going over the speed limit ;-)

I suppose this comes down to why people find it acceptable to break the speed limit in the first place. If you are concentrating (as you should) you can't speed yet it occurs all the time and people get very angry at threats to not letting them do so.

All - speeding and parking - Brit_in_Germany

If you stick to the speed limit using the indicator on your speedometer, there would be no reason to go even 1 mph over the limit due to the over read on the meter.

All - speeding and parking - Engineer Andy

If you stick to the speed limit using the indicator on your speedometer, there would be no reason to go even 1 mph over the limit due to the over read on the meter.

Does that mean you never look at the road ahead when you're driving staright along?

Does that mean you never look at the road ahead when you're driving staright along?

I can stick to the speed limit without having to look constantly at the speedo.

If you have passed your test then you will have proven to the instructor on the day that you can also do it.

<< If you have passed your test then you will have proven to the instructor on the day that you can also do it. >>

One problem may be that some drivers adopt the idea that within a posted limit it is OK to try and maintain that speed everywhere. Many towns have streets where that is (should be) impossible, or at least foolish. Equally there are other streets where 10mph over would be reasonable. Does anyone set cruise control to 30 or 40 ?

One of today's problems is that some authorities keep posting new limits (usually lower ones) and it gets ever harder to remember just what speed one is allowed to do.

All - speeding and parking - FoxyJukebox

Tons of London Boroughs now have 20mph limits and everybody seems to obey them

All - speeding and parking - Sulphur Man

20mph works when applied in a widespread fashion. There's a few roads with it around my way, Farnborough Hants, outside schools mainly, but they're ignored because the surrounding roads are still 30mph. Either do 20mph in a blanket fashion, or not at all.

I commute on the M3. Since it went 'smart' there's very little obvious speeding. Plus I genuinely feel drivers are more interested in going further on a gallon then driving as fast as they think they're allowed. Also, the M3 smart motorway has cameras everywhere to catch speeding drivers, especially when speeds are restricited. I know - I got caught fair and square. The speed management seems to work in controlling traffic flow too.

20mph works when applied in a widespread fashion. There's a few roads with it around my way, Farnborough Hants, outside schools mainly, but they're ignored because the surrounding roads are still 30mph. Either do 20mph in a blanket fashion, or not at all.

Yes, the 20s round here are nearly for a school. But that limit really only makes sense at the ends of the school day, and perhaps lunch hour. So drivers may see no need for the limit at other times. It's hard enough posting a fixed limit, without trying to allow for peaks of traffic, light/dark, poor/fair weather etc.

All - speeding and parking - Smileyman

bad driving includes (not a complete list!)

middle lane hogging

using lane 2 when lane 1 is free

driving unreasonably slowly for conditions causing needless delays for other traffic

driving too fast for the conditions (irrespespective of posted speed limit)

driivng too close to the vehicle in front

not using lights in poor visibility or darkness

using the wrong lights eg fog lights in clear conditions or high beam lights when there is oncoming traffic

failing to use an indicator

no-one says that breaking the speed limit is acceptable but there is much more than just speed to concentrate on, yet it seems the aspect of speed gets all the attention

All - speeding and parking - galileo

bad driving includes (not a complete list!)

middle lane hogging

using lane 2 when lane 1 is free

driving unreasonably slowly for conditions causing needless delays for other traffic

driving too fast for the conditions (irrespespective of posted speed limit)

driivng too close to the vehicle in front

not using lights in poor visibility or darkness

using the wrong lights eg fog lights in clear conditions or high beam lights when there is oncoming traffic

failing to use an indicator

no-one says that breaking the speed limit is acceptable but there is much more than just speed to concentrate on, yet it seems the aspect of speed gets all the attention

To stop and give advice (or ticket) for the above errors would require traffic patrols, which cost money, but would increase road safety for everyone.

\To enforce speed limits only needs cameras and brings in revenue. Little actual effect on safety. QED.

Edited by galileo on 24/08/2018 at 15:20

All - speeding and parking - TheGentlemanThug

I was always taught to drive at the speed limit if the conditions allow it. At the same time, I was also taught to avoid potentially dangerous situations.

Case in point, traveling down a motorway last week, I saw about half a dozen vehicles in the inside lane, all being driven far too close to each other. As I approach, I'm thinking that someone might pull out suddenly. I couldn't use the outside lane so I accelerated to get myself and my family out of that situation. Once we were clear, I slowed down again.

I broke the speed limit for a few seconds, sure, but it was the right thing to do.

All - speeding and parking - Quadratica

Money to be made here for geeks who can make/install black-boxes which prevent exceeding the local speed limit.

All - speeding and parking - Avant

"I broke the speed limit for a few seconds, sure, but it was the right thing to do."

Agreed - I'd have done the same. I'm not condoning breaking the law, but tailgating at, say, 50 mph is far more dangerous than driving at 80 mph with a safe gap between you and the car in front.