Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - Millie50

Sigh. The turbo died on my car this week. Has anyone else experienced this with this car. I have been quoted £1.500 to fix it and even then it seems that this is a weak point in this type of car so...probably trading it in as it is.

I did have a 'system injecton problem' orange warning ligjhy, intermmitent and whenn i went to check that i had glow sticks (?) fitted and no mention of anything to do with turbo. On its last trup out a 2 hour drive the loud whirring sound started. Next day when i went to switch it on i only got 5 mins out of the house and the 'Stop Now' red lights and sounds came out so i abandoned ship.

Any comforting replies very welcome - and any suggestion on a replacement for around £3-3.500...good runner, reliable, looks good - fantasy car! CHeers M

Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - hardway

Only two thing kill turbos,

Something getting sucked into the turbo,

Or the most common is lack of maintinence,

Oil levels low or lack of oil/filter changes.

Ignoring the EML doesn't help either.

Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - Millie50

im not too sure how much lack of maintenance is needed so to speak. an annual service and winter check,,,plus bi monthly oil test...And i agree with something stuck in it...plus maybe a propensity to have an underlying design fault in this RM.

The car was given a full service at the end of May so i am not convinced it is the oil or filters etc.

I guess there is no black and white answer to this but other people's experience and knowledge is always useful.

Thanks

Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - Oli rag
I didn’t think the 1.4 had a turbo?
Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - Big John
I didn’t think the 1.4 had a turbo?

The Expression came with a 1.6(1598) petrol and a 1.5 (1461 - possibly this could be called a 1.4) TURBO diesel.

Be careful who fixes it and don't just get it done on the cheap. You need to understand did it die or was it killed (eg blocked oilways or oil diluted/polluted with diesel due to failed regens). If driven for some time with a creamcrackered turbo there may be potential further DPF issues as well due to the burn't oil.

Regarding replacement - time for a petrol me thinks

Edited by Big John on 11/08/2018 at 20:47

Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - gordonbennet

Another killer of turbos is abuse.

ie, drivng hard from cold before the oil has got warm (this is hard on engines too), but much more deadly is repeatedly turning off the engine immediately after driving and not allowing the motor to idle for a while so the turbo cools a bit so it doesn't cook the oil now stationary in the oilways, this is exacerbated by poor servicing.

Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - badbusdriver

I've never com across that engine being described as a 1.4 (unlike the small Fiat turbo diesel, which despite being 1248cc is most commonly referred to as a 1.3), so i think it is more likely to be a typing mistake. If that is the case, it is just as likely the OP is referring to the 1.2 turbo petrol. Incidentally, that era of Megane did not get the 1.6 petrol, you'd have to go back a generation to the 'big bum' Megane for that.

I've never com across that engine being described as a 1.4 (unlike the small Fiat turbo diesel, which despite being 1248cc is most commonly referred to as a 1.3), so i think it is more likely to be a typing mistake. If that is the case, it is just as likely the OP is referring to the 1.2 turbo petrol. Incidentally, that era of Megane did not get the 1.6 petrol, you'd have to go back a generation to the 'big bum' Megane for that.

The OP mentioned "glowsticks" - presumably the OP meant glowplugs. This would probably mean this was a diesel.

Can the OP please quote the exact engine size and whether it's petrol or diesel?

From HJ review page:-

On sale until November 2013

DetailsExpression+ 1.5 dCi 110 EDC Auto 5dr

DetailsExpression+ 1.5 dCi 110 Stop and Start 5dr

DetailsExpression+ 1.5 dCi 90 ECO 5dr

DetailsExpression+ 1.6 110 5dr

Other versions had the 1.2 petrol at this time

Edited by Big John on 11/08/2018 at 21:05

. You need to understand did it die or was it killed (eg blocked oilways or oil diluted/polluted with diesel due to failed regens)

Second thoughts - the original issue you mentioned with the injection/glowPLUG errors - can be an indication of failed DPF regens which can quickly pollute the oil with diesel which has poor lubrication properties, especially for turbos!

Do you do low mileages?

Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - dieselnut

" You need to understand did it die or was it killed (eg blocked oilways or oil diluted/polluted with diesel due to failed regens) "

As well as poluted oil, don't forget that when the engine is forcing a regen, the exhaust gas is much hotter to get the regen started.

So the turbo will be getting thinned oil & much raised temperature, the perfect storm.

So repeated failled regens will be bad news for the turbo & perhaps a good reason to let the engine finish a regen once started, even if it means a wasted journey.

Edited by dieselnut on 19/08/2018 at 13:26

Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - BMW Enthusiast

It's a 1.5 DCI. This is a very good engine and was even better before the DPF was introduced. Mercedes Benz are still choosing it over the new 1.6 DCI in their new A Class. Dacia are still using it in their vehicles. It sounds as if the turbo has been starved of oil most likely due to improper maintenance.

Renault Megane Expression 1.4 2012 - Turbo Died - 3uga

Intermitent injection problme might be due to an injector the was not working properly. les fuel in a gasoline engine will cause iti to go lean, meaning a hot mix of fuel/air. Going lean on just one cylinder migh mean you have to check piston as it might of have sufferd damage.
Turbo could of faild of wear, something hiting it on the way to the engine(not likely) or on the way out- like melted aluminium from piston, or it just faild form the overheated gases. From what I know, gasoline engines have a liquid cooled turbos, something i haven't seen on diesel engines.
Not fixing injection problem will mean that your new turbo won't last.