VW Polo - CarPlay more like CarNotPlay - Leif
I have a new VW Polo with CarPlay. I find that it gets into a state whereby the infotainment system reboots every five minutes and each time I need to press two ‘buttons’ to get back to playing music from my iPhone 7. Soft resetting the iPhone cures it for a few hours, then it starts crashing again. Does anyone have experience of this?

One might argue that the fault is with the iPhone, but it could be the VW software behaving badly when communicating with the iPhone that causes the iPhone CarPlay server to go AWOL.
VW Polo - CarPlay more like CarNotPlay - mcb100
Apple CarPlay is sensitive to the quality of the lead being used between phone and head unit. If it is an old one that has started to deteriorate, or a cheap pattern one (ie not a genuine Apple lead), CarPlay will not work as well as it can.
I tried two short non Apple leads and concluded that they were no good. One was an Amazon basics lead. I now use an Apple lead with no signs of wear or damage. That reminds me I intended to try my second Apple lead. Odd though as the data comms is low speed unlike USB 3 which does strain many leads.
VW Polo - CarPlay more like CarNotPlay - Bolt
I tried two short non Apple leads and concluded that they were no good. One was an Amazon basics lead. I now use an Apple lead with no signs of wear or damage. That reminds me I intended to try my second Apple lead. Odd though as the data comms is low speed unlike USB 3 which does strain many leads.

The operating system will interogate the USB lead and only supply the amount of current/data it is capable of taking, it should warn you if the cable is not good enough or may shut the connection down

Be carefull of cheap cables as they can burn out, or, possibly cause the device damage, what you can see as not damaged does not mean the inside connections are good

No it does not warn if the cable is not good enough. I doubt it has that ability. The device will draw the current that it requires up to the USB spec. limit which is 0.5A with USB 2.

I have heard that cheap cables can cause damage. In this case the symptoms are consistent with some form of miscommunication between the devices. I use headphones with a digital connection and DAC and they work fine. It does seem as if others do not have the sort of issues I am having. Others have reported issues with the VW infotainment system in other cars, so it might be Mr VWs fault.
VW Polo - CarPlay more like CarNotPlay - hayfever64
I have the same problem on a new golf. Am using an Apple cable. Did you get this resolved please and if you did, how?