Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Eco Boost or Eco Flex - bluenun

My Ford Focus has done 81,000 miles and is still driving well but it is 15 years old so I am thinking about what car I would like if things go wrong with my current Focus.

I did like the idea of the Ford Focus 1.0 Eco Boost but have read a few horror stories about the engines giving up and Ford not taking responsibility for it. I beleive it was mainly the 2013 model that is affected with this problem. did they sort it out on the 2014, 2015 models?

How about the Vauxhall Astra 1.0 Eco Flex, have there been any problems with that engine?

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Eco Boost or Eco Flex - SLO76
You’re best avoiding Ford’s 1.0 Ecoboost as even later versions are known for failures though it’s not as common as it was on early examples. The Mk III can be had with the same excellent Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol as your current car or with the 1.6 Ecoboost which is essentially the same engine with a turbo. Both are very robust but the big problem with the Focus comes if you want an another automatic as the Powershift gearbox is notoriously unreliable and very costly to fix. It’s best avoided if you want an auto.

Vauxhall’s 1.0 turbo is a bit too new to tell yet but with the massive cost cutting at Vauxhall over the last decade or so I’m wary of many of their later products. The older 1.6 non-turbo and 1.4 turbo are safer bets, both being based on robust older designs. Their auto boxes are generally tough though.

If I was looking at a similarly sized car and wanted a reliable auto I’d be shortlisting the Honda Civic 1.8 and Toyota Auris 1.6/1.2T CVT. If budget allows I’d add the Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv to that list too.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Eco Boost or Eco Flex - elekie&a/c doctor
If your current car is running ok, I would stick with it. These old mk 1 models are virtually indestructible.

Thank-you both for the replies

SLO76 that was very helpful information. I will avoid the Eco Boost.

I do prefer driving an auutomatic so maybe the 1.4 or 1.6 Astra is a better choice for me.

I have not looked at the Honda Civic or Toyota Auris before but will do that now.

elekie&a/cdoctor I hope my car carries on for a while yet as I use it for my work, I am a window cleaner. But I did need some welding done for the last M.O.T in January and the airbag light is on all the time.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Eco Boost or Eco Flex - TheGentlemanThug

A Honda Jazz would be another good contender, assuming you could live with the (arguably) smaller car. Given how popular an automatic is with the Jazz driver, you'll have plenty of choice on the used market.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The boot does appear to be a bit smaller in the Jazz than on my Focus but I should still be able to fit all my tools in there.

One concern I have is the availability of spares for a Honda or Toyota.

Ford and I guess Vauxhall spares are easy to get hold of online.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Eco Boost or Eco Flex - Big John

The Honda Jazz CVT auto(available on earleir or later versions) is great but avoid the ishift automated manual version they did for a few years.

I think you'll find the boot bigger than expected and it's best to buy models with the fantastic "magic" seats. I think only some bottom of the range models didn't have these.

My sister has a Jazz and manages to get her double bass in it!

Re spares - no problems here as there are lots on the road so spares are plentiful - and they are so reliable you won't need many!! Bodies are good but check around rear wheel arches/ inner wings and keep this area clean during ownership as mud can collect somewhat.

1.0 Astra - In my view not a great engine.

Edited by Big John on 04/08/2018 at 11:30

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Eco Boost or Eco Flex - NowWheels
One concern I have is the availability of spares for a Honda or Toyota.

I have no idea about Honda, but Toyotas Auris are plentiful and spares widely available. I drive a 21yo grey import Toyota, and spares are rarely a problem. On the rare occasions when a difficulty arises, a Toyota dealer sells me the part with a max 2 day wait.

Toyota's reputation for supporting its vehicles is well-justified. If you want to keep a car long-term, Toyota would be my top choice

Thank-you for the replies and tips.

I bought my current car from auction, it was an ex Motability car.

I do like driving an automatic and usually go for a car with mileage under 10,000.

So from reading the replies I should avoid the Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost and the Ford Focus Powershift.

Other Ford Focus auto engines are ok as are the Vauxhall Astra 1.4 or 1.6 auto engines.

Honda Jazz 1.4i auto are fine too.

Toyota Auris are higher in price.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Eco Boost or Eco Flex - badbusdriver

Out of curiosity, what tools do you carry in the car?. I'm assuming, as you are using a car, you do 'traditional' window cleaning, in which case pretty much any size of car would do as your ladder or ladders would be on a roof rack?. I am also a window cleaner, but reach and wash only, so I need a van for the weight of the tank. My wife and I also have a current shape Honda Jazz auto, which I can't praise highly enough, it really is a brilliant little car. Someone earlier mentioned getting one with the 'magic seats', which in fact, they all have, not just some versions. The reason for this is that the magic seats are a result of having the fuel tank under the front seats (in most cars it is under the rear ones), freeing up the space under the rear seats. So you can flip the base up against the rear seat backrest leaving a deep and useful space behind the front seats. If you were interested, I'd suggest you try and get an extended test drive of one to ensure you like the CVT, as a lot of people don't. They are not slow as such, but do need revs, and will probably feel quite different to a 1.6 Focus with a t/c auto. You will also find a big improvement in mpg over the Focus, we are averaging over 50mpg. As someone else mentioned, avoid the i-shift automated manual, but I'm guessing the age of car you'd be looking for would mean you won't have to worry about that as the i-shift would be a fair bit older, I think 10 years, maybe more?.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Eco Boost or Eco Flex - madf

Lat I shift Jazz was 2011. CVT 2012 on.

badbusdriver, yes I am traditional so carry a 2m triple ladder and extendable step ladders on the roof. A small set of steps behind the front seats.

I clean Conservatory roofs and Fascias too so carry an 18 foot extendabe pole inside the car.

In the boot I carry my rectangular bucket with mop and squeegees, circular bucket with all my hoses and brushes inside, a beer crate as a hop up, a box of cloths and a plastic container with a few tools, rubber, microfiber etc. Every square inch of boot floor space is covered.

I did watch a Youtube video showing the magic seats in the Jazz, very impressive as the rear seats can lay completely flat unlike my Focus.

I am looking at years 2011 to 2014 with around 10,000 miles.

There are 10 on Autotrader and all are 1.4 CVT not the i-shift.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Eco Boost or Eco Flex - TheGentlemanThug

Cox Motor Spares can help you out with spare parts.