Suzuki Carry Van 2004 - Van starting issue - IndianaJonez

Hi,

If a starter motor (On a Suzuki Carry 2004) fails and is replaced by one that does not turn over immediately (Takes a couple of seconds before engaging),

Then overtime requires the occasional clout with a bit of wood to get to work, before being identiffied as faulty (After 6 months).

Now I have a new starter motor, however when I turn the key in the ignition the starter motor will not always engage, all that happens is the lights on the dashboard turn on (So there is power).

If I keep turning the ignition key eventually the van will start (After about 4 attempts)

Question:

Could the old faulty starter motor have damaged (Put a strain on) the alternator in any way, eg effect (Reduce) the voltage and cause the above problem?

Or might the problem be with the ignition system or starter relay?

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Indy

Suzuki Carry Van 2004 - Van starting issue - hardway

Possibly a faulty ignition switch/key.

The small wire on the starter is the solenoid trigger,

12 volts touched to the terminal bypasses the switch and ought to crank it over for a test of the starter and engine ground system.

Suzuki Carry Van 2004 - Van starting issue - IndianaJonez

Many thanks for your response.

In a nutshell:

The story of the fault covers approx 9 months.

1) Back in November 2017 my Starter Motor failed, up until then the Starter Motor would start immediately first time every time.

2) Took the van into a garage who identified that the Starter Motor was faulty and replaced it. They ordered the suggested Starter Motor but it did not arrive so they fixed another that cost a little more but was said to be fully compatible.

3) I picked up the van but found that the Starter Motor would not engage immediately anymore, so I booked it back in to the garage for them to check.

4) The garage said there was nothing wrong with the Starter Motor and that there wasn’t a fault, that was just the way it goes!!!.

5) I continued to drive the van until I moved to a new location and when my MOT was due in May I took it into another garage (Same company).

6) They found the Starter Motor to be faulty and replaced it (Free of charge), they also said that the Alternator was a little low on voltage, but should not be a problem.

7) Since then I have had problems with the Starter Motor not always engaging immediately on turning the key in the ignition (Some times I have to turn the key more than 4 times to get it to engage!!!)

8) I took the van back to the garage and they ran a diagnostics and found that the Alternator was a little low on voltage and said that this may be the problem with the car not turning over immediately. I asked about the Starter Relay and Ignition System and they said yes the problem may be any of these but are it was hard to tell.

They want to replace the Alternator!

I don't think the new Starter Motor or Alternator are at fault I think it might be the Starter Relay or Ignition Switch (Or something else, I'm not a mechanic).

They want to charge to repair the fault even though I believe they (The garage company) caused the problem in the first place by not putting the correct (Or a faulty) Starter Motor in the van back in November 2017.

If not the Alternator they will then look to replace other parts until the fault has been corrected, but still want to charge....Ridicules.

I have been in contact with their Head Office who has said that they will repair the fault free of charge if it can be identified as being linked too, or caused by the original fault.

I am so annoyed, which is why I am here asking people with a better understanding of motors for their thoughts.

Therefore, the question is:

If a faulty Starter Motor (Or one that was not fully compatible) was put into the van back in November 2017, could this have affected the Alternator, Starter Relay or Ignition System.

Problems over the last 9 months include having to hit the Starter Motor with a lump of wood, and since having it replace AGAIN having problems getting the Starter Motor to engage.

Turning the key in the ignition repeatedly before the Starter Motor engages must be putting an electrical strain on something, or maybe an additional fault was caused in the 9 months living with a faulty Starter Motor?

Help please,

Thanks Indy

Suzuki Carry Van 2004 - Van starting issue - hardway

I'm thinking you need someone with a better understanding of electrics,

Somthing a lot of mechanics have problems with.

Sticking a muti meter on it is useless,

if even one strand of multi core wire is still connected it'll read battery voltage but wont be capeable of usefull electrical power

1st off the only thing an alternator does is supply DC voltage to charge the battery and feed the vehicle electrics.

If the battery is FULLY charged then the Alternator has b***** all to do with starting.

So MY first test would be to load test the battery.

But rather than run through my series of tests to perform I'm suggesting you call in a mobile auto spark.

Explaining as you have done here what's been done/fitted,

Everything including belting it with a lump of wood!

Admitadly it's been a long time since I worked on one of these if memory works they were pretty simple units.