Vw Passat estate GTE - NAthan smith
Looking at the above vehicle and wondering the pros/cons. Read some things about the mpg of 160mph is totally unrealistic which I can fully understand. Also the fact that is is not that economical over longer distances and the obvious high list price. I do a mix of short commute and long trips. Although I would not buy one that is brand new. Any advice welcome
Vw Passat estate GTE - craig-pd130

I've been running a BMW 225xe plug-in hybrid for the past year and 10,000 miles. Obviously a completely different car but the power outputs, performance etc are comparable.

My commute is 3.5 miles to work, 3.5 miles back home. I can easily do this all-electric. A full charge of the battery from around 20-25% capacity remaining takes about 3 hours from a domestic 13A socket. At my electricity tariff (13p / KWh), that's about 80 pence.

In the current temperatures, a full charge will give 18 commuting miles before the petrol engine will kick in (which it does automatically when the battery charge reaches 5%). In practice, this means I can go weeks at a time without the petrol engine ever starting. Winter temperature cut the electric range by about 25%.

My 'combined' economy (i.e. petrol plus electricity) works out at 50.2mpg. When not charging the car (on a week's holiday in Wales recently, there was no accessible charging point), it averaged 42mpg in mixed driving. It gives the same consumption on long motorway trips at a cruise-controlled 77mph too.

My advice is, try one and see what you think. I really like mine, but remember this: as with any car, you will NEVER achieve the official figures published for electric range or fuel consumption.

However, my 225 is still giving me better economy than any of my previous turbodiesels, while being much more powerful and much quicker, and just as practical in everyday use.

Vw Passat estate GTE - SLO76
50mpg at best and 42mpg on distance runs. It compares badly with our larger and cheaper to buy Honda CRV which averages 56mpg day to day and will exceed 60mpg on longer runs without much effort. Hybrids just don’t really add up unless you’re doing a lot of town/city driving, even at that the much higher initial purchase price wipes out any saving never mind the higher depreciation most of them suffer from due to the trades issues regarding battery lifespan.
Vw Passat estate GTE - Engineer Andy
50mpg at best and 42mpg on distance runs. It compares badly with our larger and cheaper to buy Honda CRV which averages 56mpg day to day and will exceed 60mpg on longer runs without much effort. Hybrids just don’t really add up unless you’re doing a lot of town/city driving, even at that the much higher initial purchase price wipes out any saving never mind the higher depreciation most of them suffer from due to the trades issues regarding battery lifespan.

..I agree, which is why so many hybrids and all-electric cars are now run by taxi firms in built-up areas. Obviously the electric tech will improve over time, and for that to happen someone has to buy cars with it in, but at present its just a gimmic for anyone not doing 95% of their driving in urban areas and with decent access to charging facilities.

I mean, how many people are going to save £5k - £10k on the extra purchase price by using that much less fuel before the batteries need changing? Its noteworthy at present that there's a move for the electric charging stations to increase their prices (especially at motorway service stations) now that more people are using them - free or 'cheap' electricity will soon be a thing of the past for all-electric car owners: those buying, installing and maintaining such charging systems must recoup the cost somehow directly from elec car owners, as the rest of us will soon get even more ticked off if they just raise prices of other products (food, supplies, fuel [ironically]) at such places just to pay for charging points most of us won't be using for 20+ years.

Vw Passat estate GTE - expat

You also have to remember that the electric charge is cheaper than buying petrol or diesel because there is no excise paid on it. How long do you think that the government will leave that situation if electric vehicles become popular? I am sure that loophole will be closed quick smart if they think they are losing revenue. So don't count on long term savings there.

Vw Passat estate GTE - craig-pd130

They do add up as a company car.

I didn't choose it for the economy: I'm simply reporting what I get from it as a result of my driving patterns. As mentioned though, its already proven to be more economical than my previous Passat PD130, Mondeo IV TDCi and 2x Volvo V60s in the same general pattern of commuting, Dad's taxi and longer trips, while being much quicker and more fun to drive yet equally as practical.

VW Passat estate GTE - Avant

If you see this, Craig, it would be interesting to know whether you'd have gone for a 225xe if it hadn't been a company car.

It's a very nice car, as is the Audi A3 e-tron, and one of these would have suited our needs admirably - if it weren't for the initial cost which is about £8,000 more in each case than the equivalent petrol version.

If it's your own money, buying a plug-in hybrid secondhand, as Nathan is thinking about, could well make sense.

VW Passat estate GTE - craig-pd130

If you see this, Craig, it would be interesting to know whether you'd have gone for a 225xe if it hadn't been a company car.

It's a good question. If you'd asked me a year ago, I'd have probably said no (on the basis of complexity, etc).

Having run one for a year, I would now say yes, as it's a very convincing car. But whether it was a new or used car, if I was a private buyer I would absolutely insist on an extended warranty to cover the drivetrain and battery pack.

I've had zero problems with mine, but having had the EGR hassles with my V60 D4, I'd want to make sure I was fully covered.

VW Passat estate GTE - Oli rag

I would say that the main reason people buy plug in hybrids is the Benefit in kind tax saving. If it's not a company car, I don't think it's worth the extra money over a normal car.

VW Passat estate GTE - skidpan

If it's not a company car, I don't think it's worth the extra money over a normal car.

Totally agree.

Instead of the Passat GTE why not buy a Skoda Superb estate. Brand new from Carfile a 1.4 TSi will cost you about £18000 for a manual and £19300 for an auto (if you must).

We are averaging an overall 45 mpg from our 1.4 manual hatch and have seen mid 50's on a 1000 mile holiday trip.

On a recent thread I calculated it would take me 600,000 miles to break even if I bought a BMW 225e and achived the figures quoted above when compared to the Superb.

VW Passat estate GTE - NAthan smith
Thanks for all the replies I hadn’t even taken into consideration the charging pints at home , do you pay to have them fitted? It seems that the 100mpg+ figures maybe another 10-15yrs off (rather like the popularity of electric vehicles). Based on everyone’s input looks like it might be back to diesel!
VW Passat estate GTE - craig-pd130
Thanks for all the replies I hadn’t even taken into consideration the charging pints at home , do you pay to have them fitted? It seems that the 100mpg+ figures maybe another 10-15yrs off (rather like the popularity of electric vehicles).

If you want a 16 amp "fast" charger, you pay to have those fitted. Around £200 - £300. However, for the 225, a full charge takes 3h15m from the conventional 13A domestic socket in my garage, you only save an hour using a fast charger. I believe the Passat is similar in terms of charging rates.

You only really need a 16A or higher charger if you've got a pure electric car, as they take AGES to charge using domestic sockets.

VW Passat estate GTE - Avant

"I hadn’t even taken into consideration the charging pints at home."

Ah now there's a good idea - although I thought we were talking about recharging the car rather than the driver....

VW Passat estate GTE - NAthan smith
Haha just noticed my typo! Well my garage has a fully kitted out bar already and has been well used during the recent weather!