Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - bery_451

Hi I am looking to buy a used car for private hire, the requirements are:

- between 3 and 8 years old or under 3 years if depreciated a lot.
- Hatchback rear opening or Saloon with big boot and foldable rear seats
- Reliable
- Petrol or Hybrid engine or hybrid diesel or plug in that has good mpg backed up by good true/real mpg records, (local council/govt and uber slowly banning all diesel cars). Are petrol engines nowadays catching up to diesel mpg's and are good for motorway mileage?
- Has a metal chain for timing/cambelt.
- a luxury brand name no toyotas/skodas etc.
- good legroom and preferably good headroom at the back.
- used parts are not rare/expensive
- Cheap to insure, Is taxi private hire insurance affected by what insurance group the car is in?
- comfortable to drive in and if fun to drive then thats a bonus
- preferably with a lot of stock kit as standard
- easy to maintain/service, no need to take a engine out to change a bulb lol, preferably service interval times are long not short.
- I know modern cars are all electronics/computerised nowadays. Preferably looking for a car that still drives without needing a firmware/software update first lol
- Finally can do 100000's miles easily in its life
- Anything I missed from list above?

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - RobJP

Unfortunately, your requirements just aren't compatible with each other.

You want a 'luxury' brand - and by the way that you throw out Toyota and Skoda, I'm assuming you want BMW, Audi, Merc or the like.

But you also want it to have depreciated a lot, you want parts to be cheap, you want cheap insurance ... all things that you will NOT get with a luxury brand !

And then there's the service interval. Virtually every single professional owner-operator will tell you that you want plentiful and regular servicing to keep a car going for a long time. You, on the other hand want long service intervals. But you also want a car that can do hundreds of thousands of miles !

What you really want is probably a Skoda Octavia/Superb, with the 1.4 TSi engine and a manual gearbox. Get the oil changed every 10k miles at most.

Yes, it's not got the cachet of an Audi. But it'll cost you half the price to buy, will be just as reliable, parts and servicing will be half the cost ...

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - Ethan Edwards

Really? I read that lot and thought Prius but he ruled out Toyota and so I thought well good luck with that little lot.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - daveyjp
When a car is the tool of your job you get the one which costs least to run and you buy whatever the other taxi drivers have to take advantage of the taxi trade mechanics.

Our local Toyota dealer has a waiting list for used low mileage hybrids from taxi drivers. One had travelled from London (200 miles) to pick up a car which had been traded that day.

Your right taxis requires more servicing.

1.4 petrol engine underpowered for motorways for these big skoda cars?

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - concrete

I think RobJP and Avant have summed this very well indeed. Not a lot more to say really.

Well done lads.

Cheers Concrete

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - mss1tw

Best I can think of is some sort of Lexus hybrid but let me know if you find something that matches your list perfectly as I'll take 2 for personal use.

Which lexus models meets the criteria above?

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - Avant

"Anything I missed from list above?"

No - just one point too many. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of taxi drivers have Toyotas and Skodas and run them successfully. Do you really think that you'll get more business by having a Lexus? - a brand which the majority of your customers won't have heard of.

I'm not saying that a Lexus would be unsuitable - just that you'll either have to pay more or accept an older car for the same budget than if you went for a Toyota or Lexus.

I suggest either a Skoda Superb 1.4 petrol (which ticks all your other boxes) or a Prius. The Superb isn't underpowered: two of our regular members have them and are very satisfied.

Edited by Avant on 22/07/2018 at 01:15

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - SLO76
Best option would be the Toyota Auris Hybrid Estate which is very popular with taxi drivers and uses the same running gear as the Prius which has been tested to destruction by taxi drivers across the globe. If you want a petrol engines taxi there’s no other option I’d recommend to you. I certainly wouldn’t be adding to your costs by seeking out a premium badge either. This won’t add to the quality or lifespan of the car, in fact the added complexity of a premium brand will increase maintenance costs, depreciation and reduce reliability. The Toyota is popular as a taxi for good reason.
Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - nellyjak

Good luck with THAT list...it's full of conflicting requirements...you'll be looking for ever.

...and to dismiss a Toyota.?...particularly the hybrid, is sheer madness.

I think a dose of reality needs to be taken.

Edited by nellyjak on 22/07/2018 at 07:31

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - badbusdriver

Wow!, that is some list or requirements, good luck in trying to fulfil that lot.

In the meantime, while you are waiting for that car to be invented, get a Prius, or as SLO said, an Auris estate.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - gordonbennet

Thousands of taxi drivers can't all be wrong running thier Prius and Skodas.

I agree with the above posters, cars which run reliably for high miles are usually maintained very well, over and above in fact, and arguably professionally driven too...i'm thinking of the long distance PH outfit i know here not the typical rank/local taxi trade where driving and vehicle standards are not in the same league.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - colinh

Assume you've checked your local authority's vehicle requirements for granting a taxi/private hire licence - some have quite strict and precise requirements?

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - Big John

"1.4 petrol engine underpowered for motorways for these big skoda cars?"

I don't find my 1.4 Superb underpowered on the motorway - it's still a 127mph car!

Some councils don't allow such a car as a taxi as they have an outdated minimum 1600cc rule

However the best car to run as a taxi is one with the Toyota hybrid drivetrain. Real life eonomy drving around town is great, they are very light on brake pads as most braking is regenerative and they can do starship mileges. However if you have decided Toyota is not luxury enough (why???) then the same hybrid drivetrain is fitted to Lexus cars.

Edited by Big John on 22/07/2018 at 11:14

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - badbusdriver

Regarding the Skoda Superb being underpowered, the OP seems to be making the age old mistake of simply thinking "1.4 engine, big car = underpowered", when you should be looking at the biiger picture. In this case, the 1.4 engine is a turbo, which means it actually has plenty of power for good progress, the current shape has 150bhp, and plenty of torque at lower revs, in this case 250nm available from 1500-3500rpm. Also, despite its size, in this configuration (1.4tsi, manual gearbox), the Superb is a surprisingly light car at 1320kg. For a comparison, our last car was a Hyundai i30 1.6 turbo diesel auto, a MUCH smaller car than the Superb, it weighed only 10kg less (that is according to auto-data.net, if we go by the figures in the honest john reviews, it was actually 120kg heavier!) yet had 40bhp less and only marginally more torque. So you should really look into things like this before making assumptions!.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - sandy56

There are only two cars to consider- The Toyota Prius, or if you must, the Skoda Superb.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - Big John

There are only two cars to consider- The Toyota Prius, or if you must, the Skoda Superb.

Toyota Auris Touring Hybrid? - Same oily bits but bigger boot and still has good passenger space - oh and usually cheaper to buy

Edited by Big John on 22/07/2018 at 12:47

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - Engineer Andy

I believe you are looking for a unicorn. PS. Do clients really care if your taxi is a Skoda, Toyota or Kia rather than something German that you either lose business or can somehow justify charging higher rates for its use if you did buy an Audio such and such? Seems to me that you're doing this for image purposes amongst your colleagues, friends and family rather than for hard-headed business reasons.

Buying an older luxury German barge will still cost a lot and will be far more expensive to run than the others mentioned which you can buy newer and cheaper and will likely be more reliable if you don't load it up with electronic gizmos that passengers will not ever use but you will have to pay for.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - SteVee

The best taxi is returning to our shores very soon - the Toyota Camry. When you look at possible taxis, get in the back - this is where your customers will sit, and they will be paying. I would MUCH rather have the space of a Skoda Superb rather than be squeezed into an A4. I don't want to pay the taxi driver to have his dream car - I want to be transported safely, in some comfort and I really could not care about the make or performance of the car. Both the superb and the camry (I assume the UK Camry will be comparable to Camrys in other parts of the world) have hard wearing durable interiors and are able to handle lots and lots of use both in terms of mileage and passengers.

Actually, the best taxi I ever got was a Citroen CX for a journey across rural France, back to CDG, with the softest leather I have ever seen - and a fabulous amount of space. The ride quality lived up to the Citroen name.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - KB.

Between 3 and 8 yrs old.

Non diesel but hybrid diesel or plug in or petrol.

Luxury name. No Toyotas or Skoda.

Capable of doing 100000's of miles.

Lots of "stock kit".

Cheap insurance.

No mention of how much this thing might cost.

Shouldn't be too difficult then.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - gordonbennet

You missed out the completely reliable and cheap parts/fixes.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - Engineer Andy

I'm starting to get the impression that the OP is taking the Mick with his 'request for help'.

Which non-Diesel Taxi car to buy? - KB.

I also got that feeling within the first few lines ... and it just got worse. And the subsequent questions aren't garnering any response ... like minded people not wishing to waste bandwidth methinks. Could be wrong, in which case ap[ologies ... but I shan't be giving the matter any thought.