Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi 5dr - Went to see a 62 plate today - question - keymoo

Thinking of buying this. Had a test drive today, and in the footwell above and to the left of the clutch in the corner of the footwell, the steering column is exposed. When resting my foot against it and turning the car, I can feel the steering column rubbing against my shoe.

Is this normal, or is there a panel missing?

Dealer is 99% sure it's by design but doesn't look right to me. Has anyone got this model that can confirm for me? Thanks!

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi 5dr - Went to see a 62 plate today - question - Bromptonaut

I don't know that specific car but the basic layout you describe is pretty common.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi 5dr - Went to see a 62 plate today - question - bathtub tom

I suggest you look at a similar car age and spec wise and see if that's the same.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi 5dr - Went to see a 62 plate today - question - keymoo

Thanks, I think I'll do that.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi 5dr - Went to see a 62 plate today - question - catsdad
Yes our 2012 1.2S is the same. I've written before about these being built down to a price and this is just a further example.
Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi 5dr - Went to see a 62 plate today - question - Bromptonaut

I don't know that specific car but the basic layout you describe is pretty common.

My current car, a Skoda Roomster, has a substantial 'fairing' over the exposed lower end of steering column. It it was missing the fact would be evident from the boltholes that fasten it being visisbles.

My previous car, a Berlingo, was exactly as the OP described and it was possible for it to rub my foot though it was never a problem.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi 5dr - Went to see a 62 plate today - question - badbusdriver

I have certainly experienced this in various vehicles, though i can't remember specific makes and models. Given the Corsa's position in the market (cheap and cheerful), i wouldn't worry about it.