Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - Mike84

Hello eveyone fist time poster here any help advice would be appreciated...

I'm finally looking to buy my fist car what I would like to use it for is: weekend escapes, traveling exploring the UK maybe going up to Scotland every once in a while, I live in London at the moment will not use the car for commuting as my work provides me with free public transport around London.

My budget is around £6000 I would prefer a SUV style with a tall driving position ( I won't be going off road I just prefer a higher driving position, as when I was young I always drove my dad's off road pickup trucks Hilux ...etc and everytime I get in a small car It just does not feel right I could not be in one for extended periods of times driving.

What I considered so far are:

-Subaru Forested Petrol 2008 found one around with 80k on the clock with LPG conversion done.

-Suzuki Vitara/Grand Vitara

-A petrol Rav4 maybe....

Or instead of buying used buy a new Dacia Duster on PCP finance...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Mike84 on 20/07/2018 at 16:51

Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - badbusdriver

For your intended use, i'd be thinking more along the lines of a camper. Granted £6k is not going to buy much, but should get you into a Bongo, possibly pre-conversion. Engine options are 2.0 (4cyl) petrol, 2.5 (V6) petrol and 2.5TD. Self contained units with built in hob, sink, fridge and cupboard can be mounted at various points in the van, some of which will necessitate moving one of the rear benches (8 seater, two 3 seat benches in the back), also pop up roofs and various other stuff can be added later if you like it and as you can afford to. Here is an example,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180525687...1

Another possibility, depending on how many others you plan to go exploring with, is just to get a van of some kind (usually 3 seats in the cab) like a SWB Transit. Easy and cheap enough to get some lining and a bit of carpet in the back, remove the bulkhead, buy a blow up mattress and camping stove, you are good to go!. Here is an example of what you could get for £6k (£5k plus VAT),

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180703808...1

As for the SUV option, all the cars you mention are reliable, but if you fancy a Duster, you can easily get into a 1.6 petrol for £6k. It will be a basic version, probably white, with steel wheels (that is actually how i'd like a Duster, maybe put UN stickers on the side?!). Also, if a RAV-4 is on the shopping list, you should also be looking at it's arch nemesis, the Honda CR-V. Both equally reliable, both available as 2.0 petrol.

Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - Mike84

Cheers for the reply It's just going to be for me and my Gf maybe some friends ocasionally....

Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - dan86

With living in London and the new low emission zone coming in to place it would cost £12 IIRC just to drive a car of that age without even putting in fuel tax MOT ect in to the equation.

Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - jgrahampo

Citroen Berligo or Renault Kangoo or rent a car when you need it.

A bongo is likely to be very rusty underneath.

Edited by jgrahampo on 20/07/2018 at 21:44

Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - S40 Man

Renting for a weekend could be a better deal. Quick search suggests £130 for a small car so maybe £150 for something bigger. How often would you want to go away? If it's once a month that's £1800 pa or 3600 for twice a month.

Pros

You can drive a nice safe new car

No tax

No insurance

No repair bills

No parking hassle in the week.

No depreciation

No big up front costs

CONS

Effectively dead money no long term benefit.

Need to go to pick up spot.

If it's only for w/e use it could work out cheaper this way,

Is there a car club? Could be an option.

Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - RobJP

Renting for a weekend could be a better deal. Quick search suggests £130 for a small car so maybe £150 for something bigger. How often would you want to go away? If it's once a month that's £1800 pa or 3600 for twice a month.

That makes a lot of sense.

In addition, you'd get to try out a number of different cars, and see what you actually like driving.

Buy a car (assuming you buy 'retail') for £6k, and it'll cost £1k in depreciation a year (at a bare minimum), plus servicing, repairs and other maintenance, MOT, road tax, insurance (expensive in London, especially as you'll have no NCD initially), 'pollution taxes', parking ...

The bill for just owning a car could easily top £2.5k a year.

Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - SLO76
I’d be wary of buying diesel at this sort of money so I’d point you towards a petrol Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CRV. Both have the higher driving position you want, they’re spacious, comfortable and easy to sell on again. Just don’t expect much more than 30-32mpg. You could take a chance on a pre-DPF CRV 2.2 CTDi but it’s much more complex and thus much more likely to go wrong than the bombproof 2.0 petrol and it’ll still struggle to beak 40mpg. It will be much stronger in day to day driving though.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180618760...8

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180705815...7

Edited by SLO76 on 20/07/2018 at 23:30

Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - dan86

But living in London will still incur the pollution tax being introduced. Petrol cars will need to be euro 4 (2006 on) and diesel euro 6(September 2015 on)

Subaru/Suzuki/Duster-Weekend Escapes/Holiday/Exploring car for £6000 - jgrahampo

Skoda yeti