How far away would you buy a used car from dealer? - gordonbennet

If you were looking for a bog standard Fiesta we'd all suggest as local as possible for all the obvious reasons, but you arn't looking for a car that every dealer in the country will have on his plot.

My current Landcruiser came from a motorhome dealer (trade in for new motorhome) some 75 miles away, but i would have been prepared to travel anywhere in the southern half of the country (avoiding all Scottish cars due to excess salt baths) for the right example because in the right condition they are rare.

SWMBO current Forester came via a private sale some 60 miles away, again rare car, her previous Outback came from an ebay auction buy some 200 miles away, daughter's current Civic daily came from another ebay small time trader auction 130 miles away, nothing to worry about with any of them, the savings with all more than made up for the distance bet.

You know your way around cars and i doubt very much you would end up buying a pup, if you wanted a ball park radius i'd suggest 100 miles.

How far away would you buy a used car from dealer? - madf

I bought my 6 month old Jazz froma dealer in Leeds - 70 miles away (They were £1000+ cheaper than anyone else. And it had done 300 miles.)

I would not travel 70 miles for a 70k miles Jazz.

How far away would you buy a used car from dealer? - Andrew-T

If you were looking for a bog standard Fiesta we'd all suggest as local as possible for all the obvious reasons, but you arn't looking for a car that every dealer in the country will have on his plot.

Surely that sums it up. If you have a particular or unusual model in mind, you may be lucky and find one close to home; otherwise you have to cover a few counties to find some to select from.

How far away would you buy a used car from dealer? - Happy Blue!

I have bought several cars 'remotely'; i.e. only seen the car in the flesh when it was delivered to me. The distance is irrelvant. What is important is that you agree the condition of the car with the dealer before you agree a price. He warranties specific items such as: -

• Very clean interior with no marks
  • Unmarked paintwork
  • All items are working
  • No bits of trim or the tonneau cover are missing
  • xxxxxx miles
  • xx Months MoT
  • Service history present and car within warranty

The car is delivered and if it is to your liking you buy it by Faster payment online banking and if not, then it goes back. It is in the dealers interest to be honest.

The one time I did not follow my own rules, I sold the car within three months. Every other time, I have kept the car for at least three years. The S-Max I bought this way lasted five years. It was only 11 months old though, although my current car was 4 years old when I took delivery and was exactly as described.

How far away would you buy a used car from dealer? - badbusdriver

357 miles is how far i travelled to buy my van. I was looking for something specific and although this van was amongst the higher priced of those i was looking at, the dealer (Globe motors in Blackburn) had excellent reviews, and the van looked immaculate. It was as described, the couldn't fault the dealer, and 7 months on am still happy with it.

How far away would you buy a used car from dealer? - oldroverboy.

How lucky do you feel?

If it is a car with manufacturers warranty generally ok if service history up to date.

But some manufacturers are 1 year and then 2 years dealer warranty.

It is your responsibility to get the car back to the selling dealer for faults, and I am sure you know aftermarket warranties are so much toilet paper...

How far away would you buy a used car from dealer? - skidpan

But some manufacturers are 1 year and then 2 years dealer warranty.

It is your responsibility to get the car back to the selling dealer for faults

If the car is covered by the original warranty any dealer anywhere is able to repair it under warranty.

Taking the car to the selling dealer only applies to issues covered by the selling dealers warranty or sale of goods act rectifications.

Imagine if all of the buyers of the tens of thousands of nearly new Fords they bought from a supermarket had to return them to the selling dealer for warranty work. An example. We bought a one week old pre reg Mondeo. It was registered in Nuneaton and we bought it from a supermarket. The warranty was 3 years, one year manufacturer, 2 years dealer backed. But when we had suspension bush issues for the 1st MOT the local Ford dealer did the work with no issues.

How far away would you buy a used car from dealer? - Andrew-T

Emailed a trader earlier today asking for more details about an S-Max they had for sale. No answer yet. So much for their 5 star feedback from 20 customers.

I don't remember coming across any dealer who consciously returns a phone call. Of course Emails can be safely ignored without explanation. Now I assume that dealers' phones only take incoming calls, so their Emails may be similar. Maybe they are always too busy attending to eager customers?

How far away would you buy a used car from dealer? - catsdad
You do need to consider the chance that something will go wrong.

If you had to leave the car with the supplying dealer for the day and go home and return to collect it later in the day then that 60 miles or whatever becomes 240 miles. I had a few snagging issues with the Civic and the dealer being just over 12 miles away was bad enough.