Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - Brian McShane

I have a Mazda CX5 with the skyactiv diesel, it suffered a complete engine failure a week ago and is currently with a Mazda dealer in Dublin. They say the engine will need to be replaced along with the turbos, ( twin turbos i believe ). The service guy at the dealer is trying to get some sort of goodwill from Mazda but as it has a full service history but he doesn't hold much hope as its over the 60,000 miles limit and he says they are a stickler for the rules. To have the engine and turbos replaced at the Mazda Dealer is costing almost 10,000 euro which is just rediculous , I found your website and have read some of your reviews, could you sort the engine in my Mazda CX5 and if so what would the cost be.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - badbusdriver

The Mazda diesel engine in your car has a poor reputation for failures. You have not said how old your car is, i.e, how much it is worth. If you can't get any goodwill contribution from Mazda your options are either write it off and learn from your mistake, or find a 2nd hand engine and have it fitted (if cost effective), sell it immediately after, and learn from your mistake!.

Just had a quick look on Ebay and as well as a few complete engines drom damaged cars hovering around the £3k mark, i also found this listing,

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-CX5-6-2-2-SH-SKYACTIVE-Re...v

Which seems like a reasonable option if you can get your car to them. But again, if you went down this route, i'd suggest you get rid of it as soon as possible in case it happens again.

And for future reference, do some proper research on any potential car purchase as there are many with faults which, while maybe not as widely known as they ought to be, are known. Current Mazda's are generally very reliable, but only in petrol form.

Thanks for your replay, its 2015 and just over the 3 year warranty period. I wasn't aware that they came with a disposable engine which was knackered after 3 years but as you have pointed out, learning from my mistake. I checked the link on eBay for the second hand engine, its an option if i was selling it immediately after it was fitted, although I would like to keep it. I have also found this guy in the north, www.hagansautos.co.uk/mazda6engine.html. They seem to specialize in Mazda engines and are aware of this there problems, they have a good rep and can recon the engine including both turbos for £4500 sterling.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - Brit_in_Germany

Is there anything like the sale of goods act? If the engine destructs after three years a "not fit for purpose" argument might fly but the costs of litigation might be offputting.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - badbusdriver

Thanks for your replay, its 2015 and just over the 3 year warranty period. I wasn't aware that they came with a disposable engine which was knackered after 3 years but as you have pointed out, learning from my mistake. I checked the link on eBay for the second hand engine, its an option if i was selling it immediately after it was fitted, although I would like to keep it. I have also found this guy in the north, www.hagansautos.co.uk/mazda6engine.html. They seem to specialize in Mazda engines and are aware of this there problems, they have a good rep and can recon the engine including both turbos for £4500 sterling.

Better than £10k (obviously) but still a whole chunk of money. Frankly after this, i'm amazed that you'd want to keep it!. Given that it could happen again, do you really like the car enough to take that chance?.

Your money and your choice, but i'd be looking to get shot of it ASAP!

Update. I have spoken to the guy at Hagans Autos at length and watched a few of his videos on Youtube of Skyactiv Engine, apparently the oil pump chain snaps which is a common problem for them. Mazda has a modified chain and gears for this engine which he has fitted to previous engines he has done ( going back over one year ), and with more regular oil changes, it fixes the problem. The car is being collected today and going to his place for a full engine rebuild including both turbos reconditioned and the modified oil pump chain. He says the work can up to 5 weeks so I will post an update once I have it back and ran it for a while.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - FP

Having a petrol CX-5 I can understand anyone really liking a 6 and not wanting to get rid of it. I carefully avoided the diesel options when buying mine, but at the back of my mind there was the thought that maybe more recent examples had bucked the trend of former years, where (for example) unburnt diesel contaminated and overfilled the sump, leading to complete engine failure.

If the Hagan guy has it right, it's a rather poor that something so straightforward to design correctly - the drive to the oil pump - is the cause of failure.

It will be interesting to know how the OP's car runs for the next few years, if he keeps it that long.

Update, its been about 5 months since I got my Mazda CX5 back from Hagans, the engine is running well with no issue. I asked him about the diesel contaminating the engine oil and he is aware of this and has recommended strict oil changes and injector washer replacement every 6,000 miles. So far so good.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - Leon Buksh

Hi my dads 2014 Mazda 6 2.2 skyactiv recently shut off on me as I was driving it. It just came up on the dash low oil pressure. Got it recovered to a local garage, they have checked an said it's fine for oil. I thought it would as it had been serviced the previous week. Its very laboured when trying to start sort of like its got a dead battery. It doesn't start up though. Is this similar to what happened to your CX5. Would help a lot with the diagnosis as could just need the chain on the pump an a few other bits if so.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - Brit_in_Germany

Is this one of the cars in which the oil strainer can get blocked with carbon leading to the low oil pressure?

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - barney100

I had an engine changed in a Volvo 240 years ago and it was a disaster, I ended up almost giving it away in px. Yours is a lot newer than mine was but if it was me now I'd want rid of it.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - Falkirk Bairn

Volvo engine changed 240 years ago !

I never knew internal combustion engines had been invented.so far back

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - Ethan Edwards

If threads can get mysteriously resurrected after several years who knows what the wily Georgian Swedes were up to.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - Steveieb

My friend has a three year old diesel CX 5 which is almost out of warranty . How on earth can I break the news to him about the problems coming up ?

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - FP

"... the news to him about the problems coming up..."

He may be lucky - he may not. Clearly not every single Mazda diesel has engine failure. Most do not.

You may wish to advise your friend that getting rid of the car soonish might be a wise move - just in case.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - Leon Buksh

I think it is one of those that can get blocked but not 100% sure.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Skyactiv Low Oil Pressure - Avant

Just bringing this thread up to the top because one of our members can't find it.

I think the jury is still out on whether newer Mazda diesels are free of the problems which have caused the engines to fail catastrophically. The problem is that according to most road tests, the diesel is generally better to dive than the petrols because of superior torque. (Indeed, so have diesel engines in general, but the petrol Mazdas are known to be sluggish at low revs.)