Vauxhall Insignia 1.4turbo - Residue from new brake discs/pads - lily_france

Hello all,

I wonder if someone could please answer what's probably a daft question!

We moved to France a few years ago, and re-registered our Vauxhall Insignia here. We've just had the rear discs and pads changed (for Bosch parts BP1233 and BD1367); there was a bit of confusion at the garage as to what pads were suitable for the car, but in the end they seemed to sort it out. After we drove about 50km on the new brakes (gently, of course), we noticed some silver liquid (?) on the insides of the wheels. It looked and behaved like thin paint with a high metal content, apart from that it washed off extremely easily. Is this normal? I'm hoping/assuming that it was just the anti-corrosion coating being ground off by the pads, possibly combined with oil from the discs to give it its liquid appearance, but I wanted to ask to be sure as it's not something I've seen in this situation before. I've searched for both parts in an attempt to ascertain with what the discs are coated, but could only find general information about Bosch components. I even tried to contact Bosch, but they never replied.

The brakes seem fine (and we're still going easy on them), but as I lost a close family member in a crash, I get a bit nervous.

Many thanks to everyone. Have a lovely day :-)

Lily

Edited by lily_france on 17/07/2018 at 21:14

Vauxhall Insignia 1.4turbo - Residue from new brake discs/pads - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like the mechanic has been a bit over zealous with the anti squeal grease.Keep an eye on it and wipe it off as necessary.
Vauxhall Insignia 1.4turbo - Residue from new brake discs/pads - lily_france

Ok, thanks very much. They should use it as paint: the silver/metallic intensity was amazing!

Thanks so much again.

Vauxhall Insignia 1.4turbo - Residue from new brake discs/pads - elekie&a/c doctor
I would guess he also put loads on the wheel hub and bolts.