KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - capricorn

Hi, folks,

Just purchased a Kia Picanto and given it's new and more than we have ever spent on a car before I am considering buying a "physical" anti-theft device.

As there are several types available I would be interested to know if one type is perhaps more effective than another.

It has an immobiliser but I'm not sure how effective that is.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks.

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - Ethan Edwards

I'm not sure any of them are that good. I have a Krooklock style one that uses a Yale door key type lock. Very heavy and an effective lock. But it's easy to hacksaw through the wheel next to it so what can you do?

If your Picanto has keyless entry my advice would be to keep a sheet of foil in your pocket and wrap your keys up when your not using them.

The other thing is the ODB2 socket. All cars have them and I belive its possible to steal a car using a laptop and connecting to that. So again what more can you do?

A neighbour several years ago had his car winched off his drive one night. What steering wheel device can prevent that?

All anyone can do is lock it up when you leave it. To deter the casual thief but if someone is really determined imo there is little more you can do.

Unless you sleep in it and carry a baseball bat. Then when you give any thief an in depth introduction to Mr Bat please do put it on Youtibe as I'd like to see that.

Perhaps the best method of theft prevention is to buy a car no one is interested in stealing?

Like my Picanto!!!

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - Auristocrat

For a reasonable visual deterrent, either a Thatchem category 2 steering wheel lock (Disk-lok, Carflow Longarm) or the newer Sold Secure rated steering wheel lock (Stop Lock Pro or Milenco High Security steering wheel) lock.

Others aren't worth considering.

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - KB.

The Carflow Longarm hasn't been available to buy new for ages. Many years. It was also called the AA Steering Lock and, I believe was also in Halfords too ... and they too aren't available new. Some still for sale second hand occasionally. Spare keys were available for them up until last year ... but no longer. I have two Longarms so must be careful not to lose the keys now that spares gone for ever.

The Disklok IS still for sale although not cheap. Two sizes and two colours. Ebay has plenty but they usually look knocked about. I would think keys are still available for them.

The Disklok is very heavy, very strong, very visible and somewhat incovenient to store but when I parked up in dodgy areas I always used one. I still have them in case I have to go back to the smoke.

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - Auristocrat

I've bought two Carflow Longarms this year - one for each car. Branded as Isuzu parts and purchased from IM Group, the UK Subaru and Isuzu importer.

Edited by Auristocrat on 03/07/2018 at 18:28

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - gordonbennet

I have a Thatcham approved Stop Lock Pro on the Landcruiser (easy to use so you use it without a second thought) not as it's an easy vehicle to steal anyway but it's no doubt valuable for spares and even more valuable stuffed into a container and shipped to the third world where it would sell instantly.

Unfortunately the usual suspects would probably lift it with a lorry crane if they really want it (and short of chaining it down there's no stopping that), all you can do is make your vehicle harder to steal than someone else's, hence locked secure heavy gates on our driveway plus security lights, plus non dangerous, but they don't know that, dogs free during daylight hours.

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - badbusdriver

As others have indicated, it is virtually impossible to stop a determined professional car thief. All you can, and indeed all you need to do, is make your car a 'less easy' target than anyone elses car nearby. Fortunately, having bought a Picanto (and i mean no disrespect here, i think they are cracking little cars, but unlikely to be high on a list of cars being 'stolen to order'), your main priority will be to make sure you give no reason for any opportunist thief to try. So park in very visible locations with CCTV coverage, well lit at night. Yes, steering wheel locks or gear lever to handbrake ones can be hacksawed through, but unless the car is in a very quiet secluded area, no thief of sound mind would try it. If you are really concerned, fit a tracker, some of which can be linked to your smart phone so you get an alert if the car is being broken into or being moved.

But to be honest, i think the risk of your car being stolen, is pretty low, for reasons mentioned above, unless you live in an area where car theft is unusually high. And, at the end of the day, (presumably) your car will be insured.

As others have indicated, it is virtually impossible to stop a determined professional car thief. All you can, and indeed all you need to do, is make your car a 'less easy' target than anyone elses car nearby. Fortunately, having bought a Picanto (and i mean no disrespect here, i think they are cracking little cars, but unlikely to be high on a list of cars being 'stolen to order'), your main priority will be to make sure you give no reason for any opportunist thief to try. So park in very visible locations with CCTV coverage, well lit at night. Yes, steering wheel locks or gear lever to handbrake ones can be hacksawed through, but unless the car is in a very quiet secluded area, no thief of sound mind would try it. If you are really concerned, fit a tracker, some of which can be linked to your smart phone so you get an alert if the car is being broken into or being moved.

But to be honest, i think the risk of your car being stolen, is pretty low, for reasons mentioned above, unless you live in an area where car theft is unusually high. And, at the end of the day, (presumably) your car will be insured.

You can't mean my Picanto is not a desirable vehicle to steal? Surely not!!!

Yes I said earlier that it can't be high on a crook's list to nick probably less worth pinching than my dash cam - which I always remove anyway.

Thanks to all for responding a few options for me to consider.

A Picanto may well not be up there with the Range Rovers or Merceds in terms of desirability...but 16 years ago I was "car-jacked" or you might say "mugged" for a year old Yaris diesel.

Clearly planned ... I was selling the car privately and the fellow replied to an advert and I met him from the station and it all happened during the subsequent test drive.

Car was last seen heading towards east London and I never saw it again.

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - Falkirk Bairn

>>Car was last seen heading towards east London and I never saw it again.

Did the insurer pay out?

They certainly did ... why would they not?

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - badbusdriver

A Picanto may well not be up there with the Range Rovers or Merceds in terms of desirability...but 16 years ago I was "car-jacked" or you might say "mugged" for a year old Yaris diesel.

Clearly planned ... I was selling the car privately and the fellow replied to an advert and I met him from the station and it all happened during the subsequent test drive.

Car was last seen heading towards east London and I never saw it again.

That is a different scenario though, and one of the reasons car buying companies like 'we buy any car' are so popular. There are so many tales of that kind of thing happening to sellers that it is perhaps better accepting a small percentage less from a company than potentially losing your car altogether and having to go through all the insurance rigmarole.

BTW, 16 years ago (2002) was when the Yaris diesel 1st appeared, so the car couldn't have been more than a year old. Didn't you like it that you were selling it so soon?.

It was exactly one year old. It was a great little car.... bought direct from from a Toyota dealer in Belgium. At that time circumstances favoured ordering them from abroad and registering them and getting all the paperwork together and either keeping them for your own use or selling them on at a profit. I had half a dozen ... kept a couple, sold the others straight away. At the time all the magazines had articles in telling people how to do it. Times have changed. :-)

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - IRC

As already said I wouldn't worry. Factory immobilisers deafeat casual thieves. The pros target sporty or high value cars I,d just be careful where I parked and avoid leaving property in view so nobody smashes a window.

I once suggested to my sister she not leave a packet of cigs on her dashboard. She said I was being over cautious. Her side window was smashed and the cigs gone when we got back.

I resisted the temptation to say anything.

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - expat

I,d just be careful where I parked and avoid leaving property in view so nobody smashes a window.

I once suggested to my sister she not leave a packet of cigs on her dashboard. She said I was being over cautious. Her side window was smashed and the cigs gone when we got back.

I resisted the temptation to say anything.

I parked in a multistorey car park and left the car with a shirt lying on the back seat. Came back to find the window smashed and the shirt lying in the foot space. The thieves must have thought that I was hiding something like a laptop under the shirt. If I have to leave the car in a dodgy area I try to park in a street and leave the glove box open and the rear seat down so the thieves can see that there is nothing to steal without smashing the window. Mind you I don't put it past them to smash something just for spite.

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - Smileyman

To best protect your purchase make sure you purchase GAP cover - at least this way if your car is stolen / written off you will protect your investment ...

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - Bilboman

"leave the glove box open and the rear seat down so the thieves can see that there is nothing to steal without smashing the window. Mind you I don't put it past them to smash something just for spite."

Some particularly low-life car thieves seem to break into shall we say "unremarkable"cars just for the practice. I once had a 10 year old Fiesta with an isolator switch (connected to the coil IIRC). When I sold it to two colleagues and they put it up for sale a year afer that, a dodgy looking potential buyer tried to beat them down on price and walked off in disgust. Tht every night there was an unsuccessful attempt to steal it, and the frustrated thief smashed the car to pieces.

Apart from alarms and general precautions, my defensive system of choice would include strategically placed joke vomit, blood or doggy-doo, a high capacity smoke canister, blood curdling sirens and jets of indelible purple dye. (The South African anti-hijacking "Blaster" is apparently no longer in production, otherwise it'd be "frying tonight" as the ultimate theft deterrent!)

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - galileo

A chap I know wired a gadget under the seat into the courtesy light circuit.

After a 15 second delay when a door was opened,unless the key was put in the ignition,it fired a 12 bore blank shotgun cartridge, would have given a thief a shock and temporary deafness.

Good idea except for the time he dropped his key and didn't pick it up and insert it quickly enough.

KIA Picanto - Most effective anti-theft device. - gordonbennet

Don't mention isolator switches, i had one fitted to my MB many years ago by my mobile sparky, and yes i forgot all about it.

So much did i forget it that when it failed to turn over ocne after i'd vacuumed it and accidentally flicked the switch, i then hot wired the starter to get it going and took it over to my MB indy.

The next day, after dismantling half the interior and found it wasn't the suspected auto box inhibitor after all, the MB indy traced the wiring and found a hidden switch, he phoned me up and asked me about a certain switch...bingo...and yes i've never lived it down to this day, whenever i go there at some point that hidden switch will find it's way into the conversation.

I like the idea of a blank cartridge, but these days foiled thief become victim and entitled to massive compo for PTSD or whatever crock of rubbish some ambulance chaser could dream up.

My 80's Chevy Camaro had a device called a Black Jake if i recall correctly, it would allow the car to start and run but would die in a few seconds unless disarmed, quite a clever device just when a potnetial thief is making their getaway they pull out onto the road and the car stops dead hopefully drawing uwanted attention to themselves, well it might in the 80s before the old bill were welded to chairs in front of computer screens.