SEAT Ibiza - Advice on maintaining a soon to be seldom used car - Thombozo

I bought my first car in January 2017 as train commuting finally pushed me to get my licence at the tender age of 35! I bought the first car I looked at and it appears I have been very forutnate. It is a 2008 Ibiza which had 30,000 on the clock, immaculate service and mot history and cost £2300 from a Seat dealer.

It has done another 20,000 completely trouble free miles since then, sailed through another MOT and I couldn't be happier with it. Im pretty sure that it has been as good as it has because I have used it on a 50 mile round trip each work day on dual carriageways and A roads, and I have kept up with the service.

I am now moving jobs and driving isn't practical, so I am back on the train and the car isn't going to get much use at all. I want to hold on to it and see it last several more years, if possible, so apart from not skipping on the servicing, are there things I should be doing to keep it it good condition if it isn't going to get driven any where near as much any more?

Many thanks, in advance, for what Im sure will be some excellent advice.

Best wishes.

SEAT Ibiza - Advice on maintaining a soon to be seldom used car - RobJP

It depends on how much use it is going to get in the future. If it's likely to sit for weeks at a time and then used for a 300 mile trip, then it's entirely different to if it's being used for 20-30 miles a week every week.

In general, if it's being used regularly, then just keep doing what you're doing already.

SEAT Ibiza - Advice on maintaining a soon to be seldom used car - Thombozo

I expect it will be more of a 20 - 30 miles a week caper.

Thanks very much for the reply, good to know the message is broadly to crack on as normal.

much appreciated.

Edited by Thombozo on 01/07/2018 at 20:51

SEAT Ibiza - Advice on maintaining a soon to be seldom used car - expat

I expect it will be more of a 20 - 30 miles a week caper.

Multiple short trips don't give the engine time to warm up properly. You need to take it out on a longer trip every few weeks. 20 miles at 70mph is much better for the engine than 10 two mile trips. Also keep an eye on the battery. Short trips won't give it much chance to recharge. Maybe invest in a trickle charger.

SEAT Ibiza - Advice on maintaining a soon to be seldom used car - John F

It's ten years old so will probably be looking rusty underneath. Jack up and remove wheels, brush off muck from all the suspension bits. Clean, and then grease or paint the brake pipes and fuel line. Paint the springs with oil - I use old engine oil (much to the annoyance of one or two posters!). Paint anything you see that looks remotely rusty with oil - or even paint! Inspect the exhaust, wire brush the rusty-looking areas around the joints and give them a squirt of high temperature aluminium paint. I'm not sure if this helps as they corrode from inside as well, but our 17yr old Focus exhaust is original. Deal with any bodywork (e.g. sills, bottom of doors, around wheel arches) rust as soon as it appears.

SEAT Ibiza - Advice on maintaining a soon to be seldom used car - Big John

It's ten years old so will probably be looking rusty underneath. Jack up and remove wheels, brush off muck from all the suspension bits. Clean, and then grease or paint the brake pipes and fuel line. Paint the springs with oil - I use old engine oil (much to the annoyance of one or two posters!). Paint anything you see that looks remotely rusty with oil - or even paint! Inspect the exhaust, wire brush the rusty-looking areas around the joints and give them a squirt of high temperature aluminium paint. I'm not sure if this helps as they corrode from inside as well, but our 17yr old Focus exhaust is original. Deal with any bodywork (e.g. sills, bottom of doors, around wheel arches) rust as soon as it appears.

Agree with lot of this except the old engine oil - can be acidic ( when stripping and old but rare engine that had been stored at an angle for many years - the part of the crank that had been submerged in oil was in a hell of a state) . However clean oil (I sometimes mix with Waxolyl) is your friend on metal suspension parts (not on rubber!) . I always grease brake pipes and have never had to replace one since I started doing this. I also like a squirt of 3-in-1 through the drain holes at the door bottoms, bootlid, bonnet and sills (easy to apply with spray can/plastic tube).

Keeping serviced is good but pay attention to brake fluid changes - I've drained some horrible stuff from cars over the years, when not in regular use any moisture will cause problems.

At least these days we have plastic fuel tanks - on old metal tanks when stored the latent heat of evaporation creates condensation due to a temperature differential

Edited by Big John on 02/07/2018 at 22:58

SEAT Ibiza - Advice on maintaining a soon to be seldom used car - Andrew-T

... Inspect the exhaust, wire brush the rusty-looking areas around the joints and give them a squirt of high temperature aluminium paint. I'm not sure if this helps as they corrode from inside as well, but our 17yr old Focus exhaust is original.

Talking of exhausts, their life depends on two things: whether your journeys are long enough to warm them through fully to limit internal condensation; and whether your car burns diesel. The exhaust on a diesel car is soon coated in soot, which protects quite well against rust. I have never had to replace the exhaust on a diesel car, and I have kept some for 8 to 10 years.

SEAT Ibiza - Advice on maintaining a soon to be seldom used car - Leif

If you leave a car for a while, you can get rust forming on the brake disks, which is easily removed by some good solid braking, and if you only do a few short journeys you can get carbon deposits forming inside the engine, due to it not warming up fully. Also the exhaust can fail prematurely due to rust, as it does not warm up. As someone else said, get it up to temperature, and do some good revs once a week.